* Re: Persuade me to use gnus (please)
       [not found] <slrnc45649.oep.ylee@pobox.com>
@ 2004-03-01  6:32 ` Floyd L. Davidson
       [not found] ` <yoij7jy5fatq.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2004-03-01  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

>  speed difference does not matter much in many contexts, it's quite
>  noticeable at certain times, such as when entering a newsgroup with
>  more than a few thousand unread messages.

>  solution a) also means that I will not be able to read mail while
>  emacs is, say, pulling in a five thousand-message group.

I'm curious, do you often want to access 5000 messages?

I can't imagine doing that over a network link (granted, I have
a modem connection, not a high speed one) as opposed to using
google to sort them and supply me with a shorter list.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

* Re: Persuade me to use gnus (please)
@ 2004-03-01 12:26   ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-03-01 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some hopefully ableminded and witty human entity
disguising itself as: floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote :

> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >  speed difference does not matter much in many contexts, it's quite
> >  noticeable at certain times, such as when entering a newsgroup with
> >  more than a few thousand unread messages.

> >  solution a) also means that I will not be able to read mail while
> >  emacs is, say, pulling in a five thousand-message group.

You can if gnus is operated in agent-mode.

> I can't imagine doing that over a network link (granted, I have
> a modem connection, not a high speed one) as opposed to using
> google to sort them and supply me with a shorter list.

That is what agent-mode was invented for,
it only gets header-info, you tick wanted mesgs, and all others will be
set 'read'.

cor

--
          Artificial intelligence has no cure for human stupidity
(setq reply-to (concatenate 'string "Cor Gest " "<cor" '(#\@)  "clsnet.nl>"))

* Re: Persuade me to use gnus (please)
       [not found]   ` <vita-brevis-breviter-in-brevi-finietur-mors-venit-velociter-quae-neminem-veretur-877jy4iw3w.fsf@gothgoose.net>
@ 2004-03-02 10:52     ` Jesse F. Hughes
       [not found]       ` <vita-brevis-breviter-in-brevi-finietur-mors-venit-velociter-quae-neminem-veretur-87ptbv2hgq.fsf@gothgoose.net>
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2004-03-02 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> * bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:
>> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> writes:
>
>>> * Miscellaneous issues, such as the far superior slrn thread tree.
>
>> What is that?
>
> I had been using slrn as well before I switched to Gnus but probably
> Johan isn't aware of the really nice Unicode thread tree which is
> possible with Gnus 5.10.x.
>
> Just compare <http://slrn.sourceforge.net/pictures.html> and
> <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/22>.

That looks pretty damn slick.  Where do I learn to do that?

Sorry if the answer's obvious.  I don't seem to be adept at navigating
my.gnus.org.
--
Jesse F. Hughes
"Mathematicians don't fit in with a consistent view, unless you accept

@ 2004-03-02 22:09         ` Jesse F. Hughes
       [not found]           ` <873c8qtopc.fsf@xengine.softforge.ods.org>
       [not found]           ` <vita-brevis-breviter-in-brevi-finietur-mors-venit-velociter-quae-neminem-veretur-87k721hbig.fsf@gothgoose.net>
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2004-03-02 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> * jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) wrote:
>> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:
>
>>> Just compare <http://slrn.sourceforge.net/pictures.html> and
>>> <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/22>.
>
>> That looks pretty damn slick.  Where do I learn to do that?
>
> It's quite easy to do. The solution is explained at
> <http://my.gnus.org/node/view/121>. Depending on your system you might
> have to install additional fonts. On my Debian system I just need the
> standard fonts. If you have any further problems just ask. (We had a
> very huge discussion about the right fonts to use for several Linux
> distributions in de.comm.software.gnus)

I'll bite.  What font should I download and install?  I don't seem to
have the right stuff on Slackware.

I tried installing xfonts-efont-unicode-0.4.0, but I still can't get
the pretty arrows.  My German is a bit poor for wading through that
thread, too, so help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

--
"Naomi Klein reports that Microsoft is helping develop e-government in
Iraq, 'which Dees admits is a little ahead of the curve, since there

* Re: Persuade me to use gnus (please)
       [not found]             ` <878yii9hw1.fsf@phiwumbda.org>
@ 2004-03-03 14:10               ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2004-03-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Xning Lee <xning@soforge.com> writes:
>
>> Maybe you try:
>>
>>     -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-*
>
> That looked like it should work, but I still get lines like so.
>
> R  | 7:43     || Xning Lee               |    0|  2.8k | I022    I022  I0b0I020I0fa

There is now  solution to this!!

http://my.gnus.org/node/view/121    read all the comments!!

Glyn

* Fonts (was: Persuade me to use gnus (please))
       [not found]             ` <v9hdx5o8qb.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2004-03-04 18:56               ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-04 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03 2004, Marcus Frings wrote:

>> And for Emacs I use this setting in my .Xresources:
>> -*-*-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15

> Not a good idea.  You should use -1 here.

Yes, you are right but this is my global default for all X applications
in ~/.Xresources. Maybe I should add a special "Emacs.Font: [...]" line
in ~/.Xresources.

> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Font X") ]
> | CHARSET
> |      This is the character set that the font depicts.  Normally you
> |      should use `iso8859-1'.
> `----

> When you need a Latin-9 font, Emacs will choose it automatically.

By the way, which is your favourite font for Emacs? I have always used
-*-*-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 because it was the default
on my system but somehow I never see /italic/ characters in my Emacs
when using this font. My color theme always prints /italic/ text with a
bold face. I really think I should have to change this soon... :-)

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Intentions not up front and the shit that never faced reflects the sliver of
God's face and looped a flaw rotates forever unresolved. Sure to die.

* Re: Fonts
@ 2004-03-04 21:16                 ` Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2004-03-04 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> By the way, which is your favourite font for Emacs? I have always used
> -*-*-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 because it was the default
> on my system but somehow I never see /italic/ characters in my Emacs
> when using this font. My color theme always prints /italic/ text with a
> bold face. I really think I should have to change this soon... :-)

I am very fond of:

Emacs*font: -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso8859-1

--
"But remember, as long as one human being follows the rules of
mathematics, then mathematics as a human discipline survives.

@ 2004-03-07 18:04         ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2004-03-07 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

· Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> wrote:

> Hehehehehe, my.gnus.org is pretty slow

Fixed.

> and not well organized in my opinion.

Ahem.  Suggestions?  One thing that comes to my mind is to reduce the
number of features presented to the user.  Erm, and I've added a link
from the screenshot of Unicode threads to the actual Lisp snippet for
getting this display.

> Hopefully the mighty admins are going to work on it.

Wanna be an admin on my.gnus.org? :-)

Cheers, Ray
--
Hmmm... those vi mugs /are/ kinda cool. though... how about a Gnus
barrel with the refcard printed on it. And an XEmacs super tanker to

* Re: Fonts
@ 2004-03-11 18:24                 ` Erik Arneson
       [not found]                   ` <vita-brevis-breviter-in-brevi-finietur-mors-venit-velociter-quae-neminem-veretur-87u10s1rls.fsf@gothgoose.net>
From: Erik Arneson @ 2004-03-11 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04-Mar-2004, Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> wrote:
> By the way, which is your favourite font for Emacs?

I have been using -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
since a friend turned me on to the Bitstream Vera fonts.  It looks
great, has nice italics and bolds, and the fixed font has very
distinguishable I, 1, and l.  I like it a lot.

--
;; Erik Arneson <spam@erik.aarg.net> AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C             <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 480 bytes --]

* Re: Fonts
       [not found]                     ` <m3znajvutr.fsf@seneca.benny.turtle-trading.net>
@ 2004-03-15 21:22                       ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de> wrote:
> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> Yes, this font looks nice but I can only select 17 and not 14. No
>> other size is available. Unfortunately I have absolutely no
>> knowledge about fonts(-management) under Unices so I don't know what
>> to do in order to get it at a smaller size.

> Run "xfontsel -print" from an xterm to get a rudimentary font
> selection GUI.  That should show exactly what is available.

Of course I know xfontsel. That's the way how I test all my fonts and
how I found out that I can't use size 14 because only 17 is available as
selection. Thanks anyway!

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Priorität: Sicherstellung des Fremdorganismus zu Analysezwecken.
Alle anderen Belange sekundär. Besatzung ersetzbar."