* Re: update Gnus to 5.10.6 in Debian/unstable
       [not found]         ` <873c9h8au2.fsf@rechner1.ddorf.de>
@ 2004-02-12  3:27           ` Linh Dang
From: Linh Dang @ 2004-02-12  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Feb 2004, f.braennstroem@gmx.de wrote:

> Linh Dang <linh@linhdang.home> writes:
>

>>> Here is my .emacs-part:
>>>
>>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.de")
>>> 	(setq user-mail-address "f.braennstroem@gmx.de")
>>> 	(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>>
>> You should verify (C-h v message-send-mail-function) if theses are
>> not overridden by something else?
>>
> Thanks for the hint. I changed it to that:
>
> message-smtpmail-send-it
> Send the prepared message buffer with `smtpmail-send-it'. More

Try to set message-send-mail-real-function to nil!

--
Linh Dang

* Re: update Gnus to 5.10.6 in Debian/unstable
       [not found] <87r7x2ngyu.fsf@rechner1.ddorf.de>
@ 2004-02-11  8:25 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found] ` <874qtxy7pe.fsf@rechner1.ddorf.de>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2004-02-11  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> I have a problem updating Gnus in Debian/unstable. The apt-get
> installation works ok, but starting Gnus I see wrong numbers of unread
> article in my group-buffer. E.G. this group is not even there. Typing L
> I find gnu.emacs.gnus, but I am not able to access the group. I get
> this error-message:

>couldn't request group (no such directory)

Interesting - I've no idea why this is so!  While you are waiting for
someone with a Clue to answer ....  try unsubscribing the group and then
subscribing again. (For some reason your new Gnus is not finding the
group, so give it a reason to look again!)

> Even sending mails with smtp doesn't work anymore (I forgot the
> error-message).
The error-message would certainly help.

> What can I do to upgrade Gnus nicely? Should I compile it from source?

That is easy enough to do. Unpack the tarball into either $HOME/elisp or
somewhere in /usr/local (so that it will not interfere with Debian's
package management).  Do the "./configure ; make" routine but don't do
"make install" - just add the relevant directories to your emacs
load-path _early_ (ie before you do anything else about Gnus!)  in your
.emacs

eg

;; for the latest greatest gnus.
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/elisp/gnus/lisp") load-path))
   (require 'gnus-load)

(require 'info)
  (setq Info-directory-list
        (cons "~/elisp/gnus/texi" Info-directory-list))

Glyn