* Re: Quoting signatures (really!)
       [not found] <87y8n8owz6.fsf@nova.revier.com>
@ 2004-06-01 14:18 ` Stein A. Stromme
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2004-06-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Jochem Huhmann]

| Hi,
|
| sometimes, very rarely, I'm inclined to follow-up or even reply-to a
| posting and would like to quote a signature (because it *is* the part of
| the posting I'm referring to). Now, Gnus takes care *not* to quote the
| signature, in no circumstances. I have to painfully copy and paste and
| manually quote the sig, which really is a pain. Seldom, but it hurts.
|
| Is there a way to do that with no pain?

Mark the region you want to quote, possibly including the sig, before
hitting F.

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

@ 2004-06-01  7:42 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-06-01  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 01 2004, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> sometimes, very rarely, I'm inclined to follow-up or even reply-to a
> posting and would like to quote a signature (because it *is* the part of
> the posting I'm referring to). Now, Gnus takes care *not* to quote the
> signature, in no circumstances.

Not really:

,----[ C-h v message-cite-function RET ]
| message-cite-function's value is
| message-cite-original-without-signature
|
| Documentation: *Function for citing an original message.  Predefined
| functions include `message-cite-original' and
| `message-cite-original-without-signature'.  Note that
| `message-cite-original' uses `mail-citation-hook' if that is
| non-nil.
`----

I.e. you can let-bind `message-cite-function' to 'message-cite-original:

(defun jh-gnus-summary-followup-with-original (n &optional force-news)
  "Compose a followup to an article and include the original article.
Like `gnus-summary-followup-with-original' but include signature in citation."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((message-cite-function 'message-cite-original))
    (gnus-summary-followup (gnus-summary-work-articles n) force-news)))

> I have to painfully copy and paste and manually quote the sig, which
> really is a pain.

Well, `M-;' isn't really painful for me.

,----[ `C-h k M-;' ]
| M-; runs the command comment-region
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `newcomment'.
| (comment-region BEG END &optional ARG)
|
| Comment or uncomment each line in the region.
| [...]
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--