* news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 11:25 Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I can use gnus for news OR nnimap, but don't know how to use *both*

If I put the following in my ~/.gnus I get nnimap (but no connection
to my newsserver:

(setq
 gnus-select-method '(nnimap "nagual"
		     (nnimap-address "yanta.nagual.nl")
		     (nnimap-stream network)
		     (nnimap-authinfo-file "/export/home/dick/.authinfo")
		     (nnimap-authenticator cram-md5))
 )

If I change this into "gnus-secondary-select-method" I get news, but
don't know how to get my mail (nnimap).

Can somebody point out to me how to deal with this?
I really like to startup into my imap server, but also want to read my
newsgroups with gnus.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 10 / Nevada

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 11:42 ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-06-06 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

// Dick Hoogendijk writes:

> Can somebody point out to me how to deal with this?
> I really like to startup into my imap server, but also want to read my
> newsgroups with gnus.

Try this:

(setq
 gnus-select-method '(nntp "your.news.server")
 gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
                                 (nnimap ""
                                         (nnimap-address "your.imap.server")
                                         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
                                         (nnimap-authenticator login)
                                         (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                                         )
                                 ))

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 13:06   ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Kaps <seb@toyland.sauerland.de> writes:

> // Dick Hoogendijk writes:
>
>> Can somebody point out to me how to deal with this?
>> I really like to startup into my imap server, but also want to read my
>> newsgroups with gnus.
>
> Try this:
>
> (setq
>  gnus-select-method '(nntp "your.news.server")
>  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
>                                  (nnimap ""
>                                          (nnimap-address "your.imap.server")
>                                          (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
>                                          (nnimap-authenticator login)
>                                          (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
>                                          )
>                                  ))

No go. Only the newsserver opens and shows the NG's I subscribed to.
The imap server is not contacted so no mailboxes ;-(

Together it does not work; only nntp OR nnimap does.
What could it be?

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 10 11/06 ++

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 13:10     ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-06-06 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

// Dick Hoogendijk writes:

> No go. Only the newsserver opens and shows the NG's I subscribed to.
> The imap server is not contacted so no mailboxes ;-(

Hm, it works for me. I have no idea then.

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 13:27       ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

quoting Sebastian Kaps (Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:10:20 +0200):
> // Dick Hoogendijk writes:
>
>> No go. Only the newsserver opens and shows the NG's I subscribed to.
>> The imap server is not contacted so no mailboxes ;-(
>
> Hm, it works for me. I have no idea then.

Inside *group* I do ^ and than I can see that only the newsserver is
open. Shouldthe mailserver be open there to at that point?

If I i.e. in the *group* buffer an "A A" give it seems to contact the
newsserver again, also the imapserver, but only the NG's are in the
*group* to choose from.

Do I press some kind of "switch" between the two protocols (nntp/nnimap)
of am I supposed to see one large listing of newsgroups and mailboxes?

I may do something wrong somewhere.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ | Solaris 10 / XDE ++

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 15:39       ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

quoting Sebastian Kaps (Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:10:20 +0200):
> Hm, it works for me. I have no idea then.

I want my e-mail first so I have in my .gnus file

(setq
	gnus-select-method '(nnimap "name it"
		(nnimap-address "server")
		(nnimap-stream network)
		(nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
		(nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)
		(nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
	gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
		(nntp "news.server.nl")))

That seems to be what you told me.
When I start gnus (M x gnus) the imap mailserver is opened and my
mailboxes are shown in *Group* That seems OK, but the question is:

HOW can I switch to my newsgroups on teh newsserver?

If I know that I can move on ;-)

Please help me. Lots of you probably run nnimap plus nntp.

--

@ 2007-06-06 16:51         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-06 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:39:38 +0000 (UTC), Dick wrote:

> HOW can I switch to my newsgroups on teh newsserver?

I think you have misunderstood how this works. You don't switch between
anything, you just subscribe to groups on different servers.

You can see what groups each server offers in the *Server* buffer (by
moving point to a server and pressing RET), and then use u to
subscribe/unsubscribe from the various groups.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 18:42           ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:39:38 +0000 (UTC), Dick wrote:
>
>> HOW can I switch to my newsgroups on teh newsserver?
>
> I think you have misunderstood how this works. You don't switch between
> anything, you just subscribe to groups on different servers.
>
> You can see what groups each server offers in the *Server* buffer (by
> moving point to a server and pressing RET), and then use u to
> subscribe/unsubscribe from the various groups.

Yeah, I think I have it working now. Confusing was, that when I start
Gnus I only see my imap server (as being "select-method") while my
newsserver is called in "secondary-select-methods" and does NOT show
up on the *server* buffer. It does show up after I do a "A A" ; the
all is read from all servers and only then are all connections open.

Then it's possible to (un)subscribe to groups.

Is this normal behaviour? Only opening the secondary-selections after
a "A A"?

Having subscribed to different groups the servers where these groups
reside are openen at Gnus startup. So all's well now ;-)

--

@ 2007-06-06 19:23         ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-06-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:

> quoting Sebastian Kaps (Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:10:20 +0200):
>> Hm, it works for me. I have no idea then.
>
> I want my e-mail first so I have in my .gnus file
>
> (setq
> 	gnus-select-method '(nnimap "name it" [...])

>From reading the thread, it sounds like you've been swapping
gnus-select-method quite a bit; Gnus in the abstract expects you to
never ever change it.  It's possible there's some residiual confusion
from this.

> 	gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
> 		(nntp "news.server.nl")))
>
> That seems to be what you told me.
> When I start gnus (M x gnus) the imap mailserver is opened and my
> mailboxes are shown in *Group* That seems OK, but the question is:
>
> HOW can I switch to my newsgroups on teh newsserver?

In this setup you'll have three "groups" of groups:

foldername                          is an IMAP mail folder
nnml:some.other.folder              is a local mail folder
nntp+news.server.nl:gnu.emacs.gnus  is a newsgroup

You should be able to see all three servers in the server buffer, if you
press ^ from the group buffer, and subscribe to newsgroups via that.

For consistency, I use the nnnil backend as gnus-select-method, and put
nnml and nntp in gnus-secondary-select-methods.  nnnil exports no groups
at all, but that just means I always have to use nnfoo:group.name to get
at groups and not try to remember what select method an unqualified
group name goes with.

  --dzm

* Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
@ 2007-06-06 19:40           ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-06 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> From reading the thread, it sounds like you've been swapping
> gnus-select-method quite a bit; Gnus in the abstract expects you to
> never ever change it.  It's possible there's some residiual confusion
> from this.

That's correct. It turned out to be a mess after a while. When I was
sure I had the 'right' .gnus file, I removed .newsrc and .newsrc.elm
and started all over. Now I have a well functioning 'list' of groups
from different servers (imap/nntp).

> You should be able to see all three servers in the server buffer, if you
> press ^ from the group buffer, and subscribe to newsgroups via that.

I did *not* see the servers at first. Only muy imap server was
opened. Only after "A A" all other servers were opened. That was the
confusing part of it. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I get the feeling I will be learning and
learning and learning for quite some time using Gnus. But I like what
I've seen so far. It's always hard to change old habits. Years of mutt
/ slrn / vim but I want to change, so I have to practice.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 02/07 ++