* no primary server !
@ 2005-04-24 15:49 Flatty
From: Flatty @ 2005-04-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

Is there a way to make gnus NOT check the primary server and even NOT use it at all ?

I tried setting the variable gnus-select-method to nil but gnus allways wants a nntp server !

Starting gnus with gnus-no-server-1 works, but then hitting 'g' tries to connect to a default nntp server :-(

Any idea ?

* Re: no primary server !
@ 2005-04-25  7:12 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-04-25  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:49:26 +0200, Flatty wrote:

> Is there a way to make gnus NOT check the primary server and even
> NOT use it at all ?

> I tried setting the variable gnus-select-method to nil but gnus
> allways wants a nntp server !

Perhaps you can use nnnil as the primary server?

Something like:

 (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

  Best regards,

--
 "It troo! Dat darn Kahlfin stole ma spacechip!"              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: no primary server !
@ 2005-04-26  3:53   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-04-26  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatty> Is there a way to make gnus NOT check the primary server and
Flatty> even NOT use it at all ?  I tried setting the variable
Flatty> gnus-select-method to nil but gnus allways wants a nntp server !

Adam> Perhaps you can use nnnil as the primary server?
Adam> Something like:

Adam>  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

Why?  Why not simply make the real source of articles (a mail backend,
I presume) the primary?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.

* Re: no primary server !
@ 2005-04-26  5:49     ` Flatty
From: Flatty @ 2005-04-26  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Flatty> Is there a way to make gnus NOT check the primary server and
> Flatty> even NOT use it at all ?  I tried setting the variable
> Flatty> gnus-select-method to nil but gnus allways wants a nntp server !
>
> Adam> Perhaps you can use nnnil as the primary server?
> Adam> Something like:
>
> Adam>  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
>
> Why?  Why not simply make the real source of articles (a mail backend,
> I presume) the primary?

Well, I tried a lot of stuff to make things work faster.
I didn't think of your idea ... I will try this later .

Thanks

* Re: no primary server !
@ 2005-04-26  6:34     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-04-26  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Apr 2005 20:53:08 -0700, Ian wrote:

Adam> Perhaps you can use nnnil as the primary server?

> Why? Why not simply make the real source of articles (a mail
> backend, I presume) the primary?

The documentation says:

,----[ gnus/lisp/nnnil.el ]
| It's useful as a primary select method when you want all your real
| select methods to be secondary or foreign.
`----

At times I've sometimes found it aesthetically unpleasing that one
server is treated different than others (naming-wise, for instance),
but I admit that I never exerted any effort in obtaining a deep
understanding of the issues involved.

  Best regards,

--
 "My baby is my sun                                           Adam Sjøgren
  Not the burning one"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: no primary server !
@ 2005-04-26 14:18       ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-04-26 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> At times I've sometimes found it aesthetically unpleasing that one
> server is treated different than others (naming-wise, for instance),
> but I admit that I never exerted any effort in obtaining a deep
> understanding of the issues involved.

Here I have three different backends (nnml, nntp, and nndsc, which
reads MIT's quite dated 'discuss' boards), and it was also annoying
that one of them got treated differently.  It was worse that, a long
long time ago, I set up gnus-select-method to '(nntp "news.mit.edu")
but my primary usage is mail, so the thing with the "blessed" names
only had a dozen or so interesting groups in it.

I think if you're primarily using a single backend -- probably nntp,
nnml, or nnimap -- then it makes sense to bless that as
gnus-select-method.  But if you've got several backends and multiple
servers, you get to think a little less (and, admittedly, type a
little more) if you use nnnil as your primary select method.

(My work email now has gnus-select-method as nnimap, and it's great,
aside from that my finger-macros got trained by years at MIT, so my
"refile this article" command is 'B m nnml:mail. C-backspace
C-backspace INBOX.group.name'.  :-)

  --dzm