* How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-14 20:05 thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-14 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Asking this question is difficult because it's not clear what isn't
clear! Anyway, from fencepost.gnu.org attempting to run gnus didn't
work. It might have something to do with the server. How do you select
a server? At this point there's no .newsrc file.

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-15 19:49 ` William F Hammond
From: William F Hammond @ 2007-06-15 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> Asking this question is difficult because it's not clear what isn't
> clear! Anyway, from fencepost.gnu.org attempting to run gnus didn't
> work. It might have something to do with the server. How do you select
> a server? At this point there's no .newsrc file.

Use "dig" to look for a host named "news" in the domain of
fencepost.gnu.org.

The domain seems to be "gnu.org".

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-15 23:14   ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-15 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What is it?... dig

@ 2007-06-16  9:13     ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-16  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What is it?... dig

# man dig

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-20  7:54 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> Asking this question is difficult because it's not clear what isn't
> clear! Anyway, from fencepost.gnu.org attempting to run gnus didn't
> work. It might have something to do with the server. How do you select
> a server? At this point there's no .newsrc file.

What does your .gnus contain so far?

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-20  8:07   ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-20  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

There's no .gnus file in my directory.

@ 2007-06-20  9:06     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2007-06-20  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> There's no .gnus file in my directory.
>
> On Jun 20, 3:54 am, Joel Reicher <j...@panacea.null.org> wrote:
>> thesak <don.sak...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Asking this question is difficult because it's not clear what isn't
>> > clear! Anyway, from fencepost.gnu.org attempting to run gnus didn't
>> > work. It might have something to do with the server. How do you select
>> > a server? At this point there's no .newsrc file.
>>
>> What does your .gnus contain so far?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>         - Joel

Hi Don Saklad

You had a .gnus file back in 2002 - see this message

http://tinyurl.com/3yce48

and in those far back days you seeemd to know what you were doing.

so what happened?

atb

Glyn

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-20 22:36     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> There's no .gnus file in my directory.

Perhaps it's called .gnus.el instead? There was a name change, I
think, but I'm not sure why.

Anyway, as I can see from other posts you seem to have realised you
need the line

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.somewhere.edu"))

in you Gnus configuration file (whether it be called .gnus or
.gnus.el) where news.somewhere.edu is the name of the newsserver
you're using. That's all there is to getting started.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: How do you select a server?... for gnus
@ 2007-06-21 14:12       ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-06-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> Perhaps it's called .gnus.el instead? There was a name change, I
> think, but I'm not sure why.

Either .gnus or .gnus.el will work fine.  If you have a .gnus.el, you
can byte-compile it, and your .gnus.elc will get used instead.  But on
modern hardware, the minimal performance you'll get out of that isn't
worth the effort of actually running the byte-compile and the
aggravation of having an out-of-date copy used preferentially.

(I believe for similar reasons you could have a .emacs.el/.emacs.elc,
but don't really want to these days.)

  --dzm