* Article counts under nnimap
@ 2005-06-01 16:36 David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-06-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using nnimap with total-expiry on Gnus 5.10.6 on GNU Emacs 21.2.1
(which is different from what I'm posting this from).  Several of my
groups have wrong article counts, apparently because Gnus believes
it's read articles that no longer exist.  For example, one of my
groups believes that it has 1939 articles in it, and if I run 'G E' on
the group the property list includes that Gnus has seen a sparse set
of articles (seen (6081 . 6100) (6102 . 6107) ... 8019 (8021 . 8022)).
But if I log into the IMAP server directly, a UID SEARCH ALL command
lists articles 7728 through 8022, including things like 8020 that
aren't in that seen list.  (It looks like 8019 and 8020 are
duplicates, and I have both gnus-summary-ignore-duplicates and
gnus-suppress-duplicates set to t.)

This all feels a little weird to me.  If nothing else, I'd like to
have the user-visible article count correct, but it also feels like
Gnus has a somewhat wrong feeling of what's going on on the IMAP
server?  Any hints?

Thanks,

  --dzm

* Re: Article counts under nnimap
@ 2005-06-02 13:11 ` Marc
From: Marc @ 2005-06-02 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> This all feels a little weird to me.  If nothing else, I'd like to
> have the user-visible article count correct, but it also feels like
> Gnus has a somewhat wrong feeling of what's going on on the IMAP
> server?  Any hints?

Hi,

I have no hints and I'm no gnus/emacs hacker but I can say that nnimap
does have a problem with article count. I'm splitting mail from INBOX
into several folders. After splitting is done, INBOX still has as count
number the total of incoming mails (seems that it also counts mails that
have been moved in another folder).

Sometimes it diplays a count != 0 but when you enter the group, it sees
that there is no new mail and does nothing...

Hope this is not too OT ;)

Cheers,
Marc

* Re: Article counts under nnimap
@ 2005-06-06 20:00 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-06-06 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> I'm using nnimap with total-expiry on Gnus 5.10.6 on GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> (which is different from what I'm posting this from).  Several of my
> groups have wrong article counts, apparently because Gnus believes
> it's read articles that no longer exist.

The one weirdness I found was that some headers corresponding to
expired articles were living in
~/News/agent/nnimap/my.server/group/name/.overview and .agentview.
Those roughly corresponded to the lower bound on what Gnus was
counting as extant articles.  I ran gnus-agent-expire and it (looks
like it) got better.

Is this going to be an ongoing problem?  Why were there exactly two
articles in agent-space?  Why do I want the agent turned on in this
case?  The manual suggests that there's some interesting overlap
between nnimap and the agent -- there's that mysterious last paragraph
of info://gnus/Agent+as+Cache, for example -- but if I'm never
offline, and the only thing I read is nnimap (well, with a little
nnrss on the side) is it that useful?

  --dzm