* nnmail-split-fancy: Can not split on Subject
@ 2017-07-08 14:35 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-07-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I have this configuration:

 nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
 nnmail-split-fancy
 `(| (: spam-split)
     ;;; Github
     ("List-Id" "<redacted>/" "inbox")      ; Github issues on my github repos.
     ("From" "notifications@github.com" "github")
     ;;; Links
     ("Subject" "@<redacted2>" "<redacted2>")
     ;;; Self mail
     ("From" ,(macroexpand `(rx ,user-mail-address)) "self")
     "inbox")

Mail with the following subject line ends up in "self" group:

  From: "My Name" <value-of--user-mail-address>
  Subject: @<redacted2> test

where ‘<redacted2>’ is a short word of only alphanumerical characters.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
       gk.

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy: Can not split on Subject
@ 2017-07-08 17:04 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-07-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Göktuğ writes:

> where ‘<redacted2>’ is a short word of only alphanumerical characters.
> What am I doing wrong?

There is this odd thing that a word-boundary match is tacked on to the
beginning and start of the regexp, which sometimes is confusing.

I usually get around it by sticking ".*" to either, or both, ends, when
it doesn't match as I expect it to.

You can also change the variable nnmail-split-fancy-match-partial-words.

(See
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Fancy-Mail-Splitting.html
starting from "Normally, value in theses split must match a complete
word"...)

Remember you can use B q (or even B t) to check your splits match as you
expect them to.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "They were trying to make me an insider to some kind         Adam Sjøgren
  of trip they were on. I don't think so."               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy: Can not split on Subject
@ 2017-07-10 14:58   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-07-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 2017-07-08 19:04 +02, asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
> Göktuğ writes:
>
>> where ‘<redacted2>’ is a short word of only alphanumerical characters.
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> There is this odd thing that a word-boundary match is tacked on to the
> beginning and start of the regexp, which sometimes is confusing.
>
> I usually get around it by sticking ".*" to either, or both, ends, when
> it doesn't match as I expect it to.
>
> You can also change the variable nnmail-split-fancy-match-partial-words.
>
> (See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Fancy-Mail-Splitting.html
> starting from "Normally, value in theses split must match a complete
> word"...)
>
> Remember you can use B q (or even B t) to check your splits match as you
> expect them to.
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

Thank you so much!  Setting `nnmail-split-fancy-match-partial-words' to
t worked for me.  I've overlooked that section in the manual.

Best,

        gk.