* Re: gnus as mail handler
       [not found] <853cep7th5.fsf@mojosoft.org>
@ 2003-09-25 14:02 ` Adrian Lanz
From: Adrian Lanz @ 2003-09-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Sep 2003, mnichols@mojosoft.org wrote:

> I'm using gnus for mail in perhaps somewhat of a unique way.  All
> incomming mail is filed by sender:
>
> 	("to"  "mnichols@.*mojosoft\\.org"
> ("from" "\\b\\(\\w+\\)@.*" "\\1"))
>
> 	("cc"  "mnichols@.*mojosoft\\.org"
> ("from" "\\b\\(\\w+\\)@.*" "\\1"))
>
> Now I have three problems with this configuarion:
>
> My parsing is not quite desirable gentoo-user becomes user, I
> realize this is a matter of getting my searching and replacing to
> work.  I would like to do "(.*)@.*" "\\1" but for some reason can't.
> This is the least of my problems, and one I have put down for quite
> a while.

I use the same "unique" way (or strategy) for mail splitting as you
do. I use my one splitting function but for some mailing lists I do

with (setq nnmail-split-fancy-match-partial-words t). Seems to work at
the moment, but regexp setting is really hard. Never understood why

does NOT work (at least for a field, Mailing-List, I know it has only
one entry name@subdomain.name; the expression returns the split
"e@subdomain.name" if I remember well my try with the recent cvs
version of Gnus).

> The second problem is that when new mail comes in I would like to
> automatically "subscribe" to those folders.  Something like F when
> reading news, but F doesn't seem to do this with nnml.

I am following the discussions for quite a while now, but never found
a solution for this (and never went deeply into the code). What we
would like to have is "F" (gnus-group-find-new-groups) processed
automatically (in a hook; which one? ) after reading (splitting) in the
new mail messages. Should we just give a try and set:

          (add-hook 'nnmail-post-get-new-mail-hook
                    (lambda () (gnus-group-find-new-groups)))

> The third problem is partially because of the second problem, but it
> would probably be nice to have this ability in either case: Lets say
> some spam gets past my spam filter then I delete the message in the
> group.  Lets say bhrknanbd sends me some vital information about how
> to improve my windows performance.  I delete the mail
> permanently. and wind up with this group.
>
> 0: nnml:bhrknanbd
>
> I can unscribe, but I can't (or don't know how to) remove the group
> from my subscription list.

(gnus-group-delete-group GROUP &optional FORCE NO-PROMPT) bound to
'C-u G DEL' in the group buffer and active on the group the cursor is
on.

Here another feature request: I would like to have a function that
kills all empty mail groups (groups which have no articles), which I
could bind to some hook, say gnus-exit-gnus-hook or even
gnus-exit-group-hook.

Thanks in advance, Adrian.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-09-25 14:02 UTC | newest]