* Red Flag
@ 2017-05-24 17:41 Richmond
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richmond @ 2017-05-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Using Seamonkey I can set a flag on a message. It appears pictorially as
a flag if I enable the flag column. This is IMAP. If I go into Gnus and
look at the same message in the summary articles it appears in purple in
xterm and it does not go away when read. This is very useful. But I
don't know how to set the flag in Gnus. Is there a way to do it? Where
are the flags actually stored? I am guessing not in the headers, I can't
see anything there.

* Re: Red Flag
@ 2017-05-24 19:32 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2017-05-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Using Seamonkey I can set a flag on a message. It appears pictorially as
> a flag if I enable the flag column. This is IMAP. If I go into Gnus and
> look at the same message in the summary articles it appears in purple in
> xterm and it does not go away when read. This is very useful. But I
> don't know how to set the flag in Gnus. Is there a way to do it?

You mean ‘ticks’, I guess, thus ‘gnus-summary-tick-article-forward’.  It is on ‘!’, ‘u’ and ‘M t’ in default summary mapping table.

> Where are the flags actually stored?

It depends on backend, of course.  With ‘nnimap’ — on IMAP server.

> I am guessing not in the headers, I can't see anything there.

A MUA generally should not modify message (and its headers in particular) at all.

* Re: Red Flag
@ 2017-05-24 20:01 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2017-05-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> it appears in purple in xterm

In addition, I have to mention that is no much use in describing colours that you see in *your* terminal to someone else.

But when using GNU Emacs examining appearance might be indeed a good start to solving a question.  If you C-u C-x = on that purple line, Emacs would report that it has (if I guessed right) ‘gnus-summary-normal-ticked’ face property.  And ‘ticked’ is the very key word you are looking for!  You could search the Web for it or address the accompanying manual directly (<f1> i m gnus RET i tick RET).

* Re: Red Flag
@ 2017-05-24 20:26   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-05-24 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov

Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:

>> it appears in purple in xterm
>
> In addition, I have to mention that is no much use in describing
> colours that you see in *your* terminal to someone else.
>
> But when using GNU Emacs examining appearance might be indeed a good
> start to solving a question.  If you C-u C-x = on that purple line,
> Emacs would report that it has (if I guessed right)
> ‘gnus-summary-normal-ticked’ face property.  And ‘ticked’ is the very
> key word you are looking for!  You could search the Web for it or
> address the accompanying manual directly (<f1> i m gnus RET i tick
> RET).

Thanks. Right, ticked. I don't think I would ever have got that.

And what do you know, it's not purple, it's red. Well, could have fooled
me.

* Re: Red Flag
@ 2017-05-24 20:50 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-24 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

> Using Seamonkey I can set a flag on
> a message. It appears pictorially as a flag
> if I enable the flag column. This is IMAP.
> If I go into Gnus and look at the same
> message in the summary articles it appears in
> purple in xterm and it does not go away when
> read. This is very useful. But I don't know
> how to set the flag in Gnus. Is there a way
> to do it?

I use `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward' to
mark messages I save for later.

> Where are the flags actually stored?

In on of the newsrc files, I suppose. Which one
depends on your settings.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573