* What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-15 11:52 Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-07-15 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I'd like to attach one or more messages (articles from nnml and/or
nnimap backends) to a message as rfc822 MIME section but I'm not quite
sure about the best way to do this in Gnus. N.B.: I do not what to
/forward/ the messages but attach them without forwarding the original
message(s). Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Ulf

* Re: What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-15 12:10 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2008-07-15 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
> I'd like to attach one or more messages (articles from nnml and/or
> nnimap backends) to a message as rfc822 MIME section but I'm not quite
> sure about the best way to do this in Gnus.

`mml-attach-file' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "mml"
(mml-attach-file FILE &optional TYPE DESCRIPTION DISPOSITION)

Documentation:
Attach a file to the outgoing MIME message.
The file is not inserted or encoded until you send the message with
`C-c C-c' or `C-c C-s'.

FILE is the name of the file to attach.  TYPE is its
content-type, a string of the form "type/subtype".  DESCRIPTION
is a one-line description of the attachment.  The DISPOSITION
specifies how the attachment is intended to be displayed.  It can
be either "inline" (displayed automatically within the message
body) or "attachment" (separate from the body).

mml-attach-file is on C-c C-a, C-c return f, C-c C-m f

* Re: What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-15 12:29   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-07-15 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> wrote:

> Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
>> I'd like to attach one or more messages (articles from nnml and/or
>> nnimap backends) to a message as rfc822 MIME section but I'm not quite
>> sure about the best way to do this in Gnus.
>
> `mml-attach-file' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
>   -- loaded from "mml"
> (mml-attach-file FILE &optional TYPE DESCRIPTION DISPOSITION)

Yes, of course I can attach the article /file/ (at least with nnml) but
the mime part is named rather strange then and what's more important, the
article is not processed like it is when doing a forward (e.g. cleaning
of headers etc.)

@ 2008-07-15 13:17     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2008-07-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
> Yes, of course I can attach the article /file/ (at least with nnml) but
> the mime part is named rather strange then and what's more important, the
> article is not processed like it is when doing a forward (e.g. cleaning
> of headers etc.)

What MIME type did you give it?  You should identify it as
message/rfc822.  Then it will get the right MIME content descriptors so
that it is processed properly when displayed.

* Re: What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-15 13:53 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-07-15 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:52:50 +0200, Ulf wrote:

> I'd like to attach one or more messages (articles from nnml and/or
> nnimap backends) to a message as rfc822 MIME section but I'm not quite
> sure about the best way to do this in Gnus. N.B.: I do not what to
> /forward/ the messages but attach them without forwarding the original
> message(s). Any ideas anyone?

My usual workaround is to use the forward function, but then I don't
send the forwarded email, but rather copy the part I want to include,
and paste it into the email I want to attach it to.

So I:

 a) Read the article I want to attach
 b) Start to forward it (C-c C-f)
 c) Copy from the beginning [#mml type=message/rfc822
    disposition=inline]-tag to the end [#/mml]-tag.
 d) Delete the forward article buffer (C-x k)
 e) Start a new email (m)
 f) Paste the copied article.

There are probably easier ways, but I do it seldom enough that I haven't
investigated.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hey, maybe they could figure out a way to make me           Adam Sjøgren
  care about how many stop bits I'm using, that'd be     asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-15 15:24       ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-07-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> wrote:

> Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
>> Yes, of course I can attach the article /file/ (at least with nnml) but
>> the mime part is named rather strange then and what's more important, the
>> article is not processed like it is when doing a forward (e.g. cleaning
>> of headers etc.)
>
> What MIME type did you give it?  You should identify it as
> message/rfc822.  Then it will get the right MIME content descriptors so
> that it is processed properly when displayed.

Yes, it's displayed properly (at least by Gnus) but nevertheless it has
all the unwanted headers like (Received, X-Spam.. etc.). Apart from that
this approach only works with a single-file-per-message backend. What
about nnfolder (which I don't use, but anyway)? And furthermore, the
approach is a bit clumsy, too. I thought, maybe there's a simpler
solution.

@ 2008-07-15 15:27   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-07-15 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:52:50 +0200, Ulf wrote:
>
>> I'd like to attach one or more messages (articles from nnml and/or
>> nnimap backends) to a message as rfc822 MIME section but I'm not quite
>> sure about the best way to do this in Gnus. N.B.: I do not what to
>> /forward/ the messages but attach them without forwarding the original
>> message(s). Any ideas anyone?
>
> My usual workaround is to use the forward function, but then I don't
> send the forwarded email, but rather copy the part I want to include,
> and paste it into the email I want to attach it to.

That's exactly the workaround I usually use but it's rather cumbersome
and not very elegant. Since the forward function already offers all the
functionality needed, I thought, I had just missed something when it
comes to attaching messages. But it seems that there's currently really
no shortcut for it?!

@ 2008-07-15 15:32     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-07-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:27:58 +0200, Ulf wrote:

> Since the forward function already offers all the functionality
> needed, I thought, I had just missed something when it comes to
> attaching messages. But it seems that there's currently really no
> shortcut for it?!

Maybe an itch for you to scratch?

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: What's the best way to attach an article?
@ 2008-07-16 10:52       ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-07-16 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:27:58 +0200, Ulf wrote:
>
>> Since the forward function already offers all the functionality
>> needed, I thought, I had just missed something when it comes to
>> attaching messages. But it seems that there's currently really no
>> shortcut for it?!
>
> Maybe an itch for you to scratch?

maybe, but I'm still undecided if it is really itching strong enough ;)

Ulf