* Re: IMAP functions
       [not found] <wuczhgxs.fsf@anthonychavez.org>
@ 2003-08-27  6:17 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <65kjh6ba.fsf@anthonychavez.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-27  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

acc@anthonychavez.org writes:

> I don't have a whole lot of time to research this in-depth right now, so
> I thought I'd pose the question to the group. :-)
>
> I have been looking for some elisp functions that wrap up IMAP.  I would
> like to rename, delete, and create mailboxes as well as have full access
> to what services IMAP provides (especially through Gnus).  I was combing
> through nnimap.el the other day, and it seems (at first glance) that
> there's a lot of functionality there.
>
> The question is: how do I access it?  Would I have to make my own
> keybindings and such or does Gnus provide access to those functions and
> I'm just not seeing it?

Renaming, deleting and creating groups is already implemented.  Look
in the Gnus manual.

If you want to write your own MUA with those features, looking at
imap.el is probably better, since nnimap is rather Gnus specific, and
is quite inefficient too.

* Re: IMAP functions
       [not found]     ` <ilud6erijjx.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2003-08-27 15:02       ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-08-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:36:18 +0200 Simon Josefsson wrote:

Simon> acc-7AlhGLN8PPkmLlS38QFVmNi2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org writes:

>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:17:28 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas-2g3DOctPbj9BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Renaming, deleting and creating groups is already implemented.  Look
>>> in the Gnus manual.

>> I am well aware that ~Gnus~groups~ can be renamed/deleted/created, but
>> what I'm after is the ability to
>> rename/delete/create/etc. ~IMAP~mailboxes~ (or in more precise terms,
>> IMAP folders) that reside on my mail server.

Simon> If you subscribe to the IMAP mailboxes in Gnus using U,
Simon> effectively making it a Gnus group,

Isn't there also the issue that C-k needs to be prefixed in order to
to what people expect it to do? (Delete group on server.)

Greetings,
Jochen
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

@ 2003-08-27 16:00       ` acc
From: acc @ 2003-08-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:36:18 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:
> If you subscribe to the IMAP mailboxes in Gnus using U, effectively
> making it a Gnus group, and then rename the Gnus group using G r, the
> IMAP mailbox associated with the Gnus group is also renamed[1].  Is
> this what you are looking for?  I'm not sure I understand what you are
> looking for.
>
> [1] Except if you rename INBOX, but that is IMAP protocol feature.

That is what I'm looking for.  I should have tried it. :-)

Thanks for pointing it out!

--
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc@jabber.anthonychavez.org

@ 2003-08-28 12:05         ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]           ` <86isohzk2x.fsf@doze.rijnh.nl>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-28 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:36:18 +0200 Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
> Simon> acc@anthonychavez.org writes:

>>> I am well aware that ~Gnus~groups~ can be renamed/deleted/created, but
>>> what I'm after is the ability to
>>> rename/delete/create/etc. ~IMAP~mailboxes~ (or in more precise terms,
>>> IMAP folders) that reside on my mail server.
>
> Simon> If you subscribe to the IMAP mailboxes in Gnus using U,
> Simon> effectively making it a Gnus group,
>
> Isn't there also the issue that C-k needs to be prefixed in order to
> to what people expect it to do? (Delete group on server.)

C-k, with or without prefix, never delete groups on the server.  It
merely unsubscribe you from the group, i.e., remove the group from
.newsrc.

G DEL doesn't delete articles without a prefix argument, which I
believe is properly documented.  One could argue that G DEL on an
empty group should remove it, but if someone feels strongly about it,
submit a patch.

* Re: IMAP functions
       [not found]             ` <86d6epzjf7.fsf@doze.rijnh.nl>
@ 2003-08-29 11:44               ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-29 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> Simon> One could argue that G DEL on an empty group should remove it,
> Simon> but if someone feels strongly about it, submit a patch.
>
> Jochen> Maybe adding the following to the above description:
> Jochen> ,----
> Jochen> | Note that you also have to specify FORCE if you want the group to be
> Jochen> | removed from the server, even when it's empty.
> Jochen> `----
> ...will help.

Added.  Thanks for suggesting a solution.