discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* groff-1.20.1 patches for automatic comparisons
@ 2011-01-24 15:39 Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-01-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

just for your information, in case you are doing automatic comparisons
of groff and mandoc output, here is the current version of the OpenBSD
groff-1.20.1 port i am using.  Even if you are not using OpenBSD, the
patches might be interesting.  In particular,
  groff/patches/patch-src_roff_troff_env_cpp
  groff/patches/patch-tmac_doc_tmac
  groff/patches/patch-tmac_troffrc
help a lot.

I have now run automatic comparisons over the whole OpenBSD base tree
and looked at all diffs except src/lib, src/gnu and src/share.
Or put the other way round, most remaining issues that show up in
  src/bin
  src/games
  src/kerberosV
  src/libexec
  src/sbin
  src/sys
  src/usr.bin
  src/usr.sbin
are now listed in TODO.  I have started src/lib, but not gotten far yet.

Yours,
  Ingo

[-- Attachment #2: groff.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-tar-gz, Size: 37950 bytes --]

* Re: groff-1.20.1 patches for automatic comparisons
@ 2011-01-25 14:27 ` Ulrich Spörlein
From: Ulrich Spörlein @ 2011-01-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

On Mon, 24.01.2011 at 16:39:26 +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just for your information, in case you are doing automatic comparisons
> of groff and mandoc output, here is the current version of the OpenBSD
> groff-1.20.1 port i am using.  Even if you are not using OpenBSD, the
> patches might be interesting.  In particular,
>   groff/patches/patch-src_roff_troff_env_cpp

Exactly what kinds of adjustments is this disabling?

>   groff/patches/patch-tmac_doc_tmac
>   groff/patches/patch-tmac_troffrc
> help a lot.

Thanks, very useful tweaks.

Also, why are you patching doc-common and not simply using overrides in
mdoc.local?

Cheers,
Uli

* Re: groff-1.20.1 patches for automatic comparisons
@ 2011-01-26 19:24   ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-01-26 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Ulrich,

Ulrich Spörlein wrote on Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 03:27:02PM +0100:
> On Mon, 24.01.2011 at 16:39:26 +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>> just for your information, in case you are doing automatic comparisons
>> of groff and mandoc output, here is the current version of the OpenBSD
>> groff-1.20.1 port i am using.  Even if you are not using OpenBSD, the
>> patches might be interesting.  In particular,
>>   groff/patches/patch-src_roff_troff_env_cpp

> Exactly what kinds of adjustments is this disabling?

Traditional roff has two registers for horizontal adjustment:
One to store the current current adjustment mode (left, right,
both, center) and one to switch adjustment on and off altogether
without changing the mode.  When adjustment is off, formatting
is the same as in "left" mode.  When filling is off, adjustment
is considered temporarily off as well.  The requests are:

.ad l   \" switch mode to left
.ad r   \" switch mode to right
.ad b   \" switch mode to both
.ad c   \" switch mode to center
.na     \" switch adjustment off
.ad     \" re-enable adjustment

Mandoc only supports the left mode, .ad and .na are ignored.

The patch changes groff to treat all of these commands as .na.

>>   groff/patches/patch-tmac_doc_tmac
>>   groff/patches/patch-tmac_troffrc
>> help a lot.

> Thanks, very useful tweaks.
>
> Also, why are you patching doc-common and not simply using
> overrides in mdoc.local?

To leave mdoc.local untouched such that it can be used for
site-specific tweaks.  Buts that's not really important,
and i'm not feeling strongly about it.

Yours,
  Ingo