discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* .Bl -compact: bogus lint warning?
@ 2011-02-17  0:07 Thomas Klausner
From: Thomas Klausner @ 2011-02-17  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi!

mandoc 1.10.9 -Tlint on the new
src/crypto/external/bsd/libsaslc/dist/man/libsaslc.3 man page
complains:

libsaslc.3:494:2: WARNING: tag lists require a width argument
libsaslc.3:550:2: WARNING: tag lists require a width argument

Both look like this:
.Bl -tag -offset indent -compact
.Bl -tag -offset indent -compact

I think this should be fine, why is mandoc warning about it?
 Thomas

* Re: .Bl -compact: bogus lint warning?
@ 2011-02-17  0:48 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-02-17  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Thomas Klausner

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Klausner wrote on Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 01:07:43AM +0100:

> mandoc 1.10.9 -Tlint on the new
> src/crypto/external/bsd/libsaslc/dist/man/libsaslc.3 man page
> complains:
>
> libsaslc.3:494:2: WARNING: tag lists require a width argument
> libsaslc.3:550:2: WARNING: tag lists require a width argument
>
> Both look like this:
> .Bl -tag -offset indent -compact
> .Bl -tag -offset indent -compact
>
> I think this should be fine, why is mandoc warning about it?

Here is what mandoc.samples(7) on OpenBSD thinks about it:

  If a width is not specified for the tag list type, the first time `.It'
  is invoked, an attempt is made to determine an appropriate width.  If the
  first argument to `.It' is a callable macro, the default width for that
  macro will be used as if the macro name had been supplied as the width.
  However, if another item in the list is given with a different callable
  macro name, a new and nested list is assumed.  This effectively means
  that -width is required for the tag list type.

I don't claim that is particularly comprehensible, but at the very
least, my impression is that -tag lists without a -width are not
particularly portable, so i guess the warning makes sense.

Yours,
  Ingo