discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Re: mandoc -Tlint -> stdout?
       [not found] <20110324202607.GA51818@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>
@ 2011-03-24 20:45 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2011-03-24 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Christian Weisgerber

Hi,

Christian Weisgerber has brought up the idea to have mandoc -Tlint
send its output to stdout instead of stderr, arguing that in -Tlint
mode, nothing else is going to stdout and error messages and warnings
are indeed the intended *output* in that mode.

An obvious downside is that it introduces a certain asymmetry;
however, i'm not sure that it will ever confuse people.
Of course, there are no big advantages either; maybe the most
important point is that redirecting or piping output becomes
a bit less tedious.

Documenting it will not introduce that much complication,
basically a single sentence regarding -Tlint.

I'm not quite sure, maybe i'm mildly in favour of the idea.

Implementation seems to be relatively simple, basically we would
just need to add the error output stream as a member to struct
curparse.

How do you feel about it?

Yours,
  Ingo

* Re: mandoc -Tlint -> stdout?
@ 2011-03-24 21:13   ` Joerg Sonnenberger
From: Joerg Sonnenberger @ 2011-03-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:45:19PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Christian Weisgerber has brought up the idea to have mandoc -Tlint
> send its output to stdout instead of stderr, arguing that in -Tlint
> mode, nothing else is going to stdout and error messages and warnings
> are indeed the intended *output* in that mode.

I disagree. The expected output of -Tlint should always be silence.
As such output is considered diagnostic and go to stderr. If I ever get
a chance to require man page linting as default in the build system, it
certainly makes it much easier to follow if it goes to stderr.

Joerg

* Re: mandoc -Tlint -> stdout?
@ 2011-03-25 22:27     ` Ulrich Spörlein
From: Ulrich Spörlein @ 2011-03-25 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

On Thu, 24.03.2011 at 22:13:32 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:45:19PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> > Christian Weisgerber has brought up the idea to have mandoc -Tlint
> > send its output to stdout instead of stderr, arguing that in -Tlint
> > mode, nothing else is going to stdout and error messages and warnings
> > are indeed the intended *output* in that mode.
>
> I disagree. The expected output of -Tlint should always be silence.
> As such output is considered diagnostic and go to stderr. If I ever get
> a chance to require man page linting as default in the build system, it
> certainly makes it much easier to follow if it goes to stderr.

I was thinking the same thought. The diagnostic/error output should go
to STDERR. True, it's not a runtime failure or anything, but it's what I
would expect as a user.

Uli