discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Dealing with compressed man pages
@ 2012-02-07  9:39 Joerg Sonnenberger
From: Joerg Sonnenberger @ 2012-02-07  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi all,
at the moment, it is the responsibility of the man(1) frontend and
similar programs to handling uncompressing man pages. They generally do
this by building a pipe to "preprocess" the man page with zcat, just
like they did with tbl(1). Given that we removed most needs for such a
pipeline and there are at least two frontends dealing with man pages
(apropos/makewhatis and man), I wonder if it wouldn't simplify things if
the decompressing is done as part of the file loop. Detecting zlib/gzip
is trivial and the amount of code small as well. I don't think the
parallelism is noticable even on modern system due to the small man page
size. Comments?

Joerg

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-02-07  9:40 UTC | newest]