discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Text embedded in Bl
@ 2013-09-22 22:33 Anthony J. Bentley
From: Anthony J. Bentley @ 2013-09-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

Consider the following, based on an example from gnugk(1):

.Bl -tag -width Ds
This is an opening paragraph.
.It Fl a
Perform behavior foo.
.El

Mandoc refuses to display the page:
FATAL: child violates parent syntax

Groff, on the other hand, displays it (I'm not sure of the specifics, but
my guess is it treats the first part as a Pp):

     This is an opening paragraph.

     -a      Perform behavior foo.

To me, this is obviously wrong. To realize why, just think of the case
where you want two paragraphs. (Or the case where the Bl only contains a
single paragraph with no items--which also appeared in this manpage!)
Based on this reasoning, I sent a fixed manpage to upstream, who committed
it.

But now I wonder. Should mandoc mimic groff here? I think no, but maybe
someone else will have a different opinion.

--
Anthony J. Bentley