discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Ambiguous grammar: unicode vs. \[uX] escapes
@ 2014-10-01 14:51 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2014-10-01 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

In adding diacriticals to the shiny new MathML output, I stumbled across
a curious ambiguity.

Basically, I wanted the following sequence:

  { a sub b } under

Which in eqn(7), means a_b with a line under it all.

In the new eqn.c, I have a special "bottom" string I set to a
corresponding under-diacritical.  (The others have a "top" string.)  I
was setting this to \[ul], underscore.  However, the character refused
to appear.

Mystified, I explored further.  Then I saw that in print_encode()
(html.c), the \[ul] was being detected as a Unicode codepoint.  Why?
Because the sequence is \[uxxx] (mandoc.c:88).

Is there any consensus on how we should handle this?  groff_char(7)
doesn't say anything, but I'm guessing the Unicode codepoints should be
4--6 hexdigits long.  That's an easy fix, but I'm not sure if it's the
right approach.

Thoughts?