discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Compilation with GCC 10 and -fno-common fails for 1.14.5
@ 2020-06-11  9:33 Wynn Wolf Arbor
From: Wynn Wolf Arbor @ 2020-06-11  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

GCC 10 has switched from -fcommon to -fno-common as a default, breaking
compilation with the current release of mandoc:

	compat_getline.c:5: multiple definition of `dummy';
	compat_err.o:mandoc-1.14.5/compat_err.c:5: first defined here
	[..]

When multiple unneeded (ie HAVE_* is set) compatibility files are
included in a compiler invocation, the dummy declarations 'int dummy'
clash with one another.

Ordinarily I would have sent a patch along, but I am not sure what
solution is preferred here. I can think of the following:

  * Simply have a unique name for each dummy declaration per file.

  * Make sure that unneeded compatibility files are not included in the
    build. This seems a decent albeit more complex and disruptive
    solution.

I tried checking whether the development branch has this fixed already,
but it seems that the CVS web interface [1] is down at the moment (500
Internal Server Error). I also sadly couldn't check out the CVS:

	cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

There were no previous messages, and I don't know how to make CVS more
verbose.

I did not find anything through a cursory check of the mandoc-source
mailing list archive, so I'm assuming this issue is still present.

Thanks for your time!

[1] https://cvsweb.bsd.lv/mandoc/

--
Wolf