discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Opinions on .Dd?
@ 2010-07-25  4:30 Sascha Wildner
From: Sascha Wildner @ 2010-07-25  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

what is people's thought on .Dd in general?

Personally, I've thought about nuking it more than once. Most developers
forget to update it and honestly both running after people and reminding
them as well as keeping them up to date myself are a pain.

Also, at least in DragonFly, I see no real benefit in keeping it up to
date, since nobody goes and checks the date on manpages to decide which
are worth looking through for new stuff.

We also don't have translations of manpages so that the translators
would use the date for finding out which need to be checked for
translating. This was the reason given to me when I asked about .Dd on
the FreeBSD lists once.

My more specific question is: Would this be possible with mdocml? It
seems to take .Dd as an indicator for the beginning of the title part so
I assume not. But then, it's not the latest mandoc(1) I'm using here and
maybe things have changed.

Regards,
Sascha