discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* ME macros: `i', `b', `r'
@ 2010-12-06 15:15 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-12-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

In doing some clean-up, I noticed that the `i' and `b' macro don't
actually do anything when invoked with `groff -Tascii -mandoc' or `nroff
-mandoc'.  Any arguments to the macros are unilaterally lost.

This was tested on Debian testing (groff 1.20.1), NetBSD 5.0.1 (1.19.2),
and OpenBSD 4.6 (1.15).

Seeing as this is the case, does anybody object to removing these macros
to libroff and printing a warning when they're invoked?

Thanks,

Kristaps

* Re: ME macros: `i', `b', `r'
@ 2010-12-06 21:43 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2010-12-06 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Kristaps,

Kristaps Dzonsons wrote on Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:15:09PM +0100:

> In doing some clean-up, I noticed that the `i' and `b' macro don't
> actually do anything when invoked with `groff -Tascii -mandoc' or
> `nroff -mandoc'.  Any arguments to the macros are unilaterally lost.
>
> This was tested on Debian testing (groff 1.20.1), NetBSD 5.0.1
> (1.19.2), and OpenBSD 4.6 (1.15).
>
> Seeing as this is the case, does anybody object to removing these
> macros to libroff and printing a warning when they're invoked?

Actually, i fail to find any uses in Xenocara or even ports.
OK, there is faces(1) in ports using .i at two places, which is
probably a typo, and then mairixrc(5), mimedefang-filter(5),
slapo-ppolicy(5) and lpd(8) using .b each once, and not a single
instance of .r.

Thus, why not just remove these three outright, such that they
hit the usual

        MANDOCERR_MACRO, /* skipping unknown macro */

Yours,
  Ingo

* Re: ME macros: `i', `b', `r'
@ 2010-12-08 11:03   ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-12-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

>> In doing some clean-up, I noticed that the `i' and `b' macro don't
>> actually do anything when invoked with `groff -Tascii -mandoc' or
>> `nroff -mandoc'.  Any arguments to the macros are unilaterally lost.
>>
>> This was tested on Debian testing (groff 1.20.1), NetBSD 5.0.1
>> (1.19.2), and OpenBSD 4.6 (1.15).
>>
>> Seeing as this is the case, does anybody object to removing these
>> macros to libroff and printing a warning when they're invoked?
>
> Actually, i fail to find any uses in Xenocara or even ports.
> OK, there is faces(1) in ports using .i at two places, which is
> probably a typo, and then mairixrc(5), mimedefang-filter(5),
> slapo-ppolicy(5) and lpd(8) using .b each once, and not a single
> instance of .r.
>
> Thus, why not just remove these three outright, such that they
> hit the usual
>
>          MANDOCERR_MACRO, /* skipping unknown macro */

Ingo, thanks for the response.  Done and checked in!

Kristaps