discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* tbl is now integrated into mandoc.
@ 2011-01-02 20:35 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-01-02 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

This is just a head's-up that tbl(1) from http://tbl.bsd.lv has been
fully integrated into mandoc.  This integration consisted of many
changes to the merged code (the original code-base is now deprecated, as
I didn't push back the changes).  An illustration:

% ./mandoc -Owidth=68 foo.3
FOO(1)                 General Commands Manual                FOO(1)

NAME
      foo - bar

DESCRIPTION
      hello

    DESCRIPTION
      hello
      +-----------+-------+------+---------+--------+-------+---------+
      |           | SLIST | LIST | SIMPLEQ | STAILQ | TAILQ | CIRCLEQ |
      |-----------+-------+------+---------+--------+-------+---------|
      |_EMPTY     |   +   |  +   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
      |_FIRST     |   +   |  +   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
      |_FOREACH   |   +   |  +   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
            HELLO
      |_LAST      |   -   |  -   |    -    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
      |_LOOP_NEXT |   -   |  -   |    -    |   -    |   -   |    +    |
      |_LOOP_PREV |   -   |  -   |    -    |   -    |   -   |    +    |
      |_NEXT      |   +   |  +   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
      |_PREV      |   -   |  -   |    -    |   -    |   +   |    +    |
      |_REMOVE    |   +   |  +   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    +    |
      |_CONCAT    |   -   |  -   |    +    |   +    |   +   |    -    |
      +-----------+-------+------+---------+--------+-------+---------+

Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64       January 2, 2011      Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64

The input file 'foo.3' is included below.

There are still some elements that need consideration:

  (1) calculating lengths given escapes in input;
  (2) -T[x]html, -Tpdf, and -Tps output.

For now, -Tpdf and -Tps look like crap, and -T[x]html hasn't been done
at all.  I'm actually not exactly sure how I'm going to get the lines
done properly in PS or PDF.  -T[x]html, however, shouldn't be too difficult.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to push some logic down into the code
regarding (1), then tag out a release so the -Tascii tbl stuff is out in
the wild.

Take care,

Kristaps

% cat -n foo.3
      1	.Dd $Mdocdate$
      2	.Dt FOO 1
      3	.Os
      4	.Sh NAME
      5	.Nm foo
      6	.Nd bar
      7	.Sh DESCRIPTION
      8	hello
      9	.Ss DESCRIPTION
     10	.Pp
     11	hello
     12	.TS
     13	doublebox tab(:);
     14	l | c | c | c | c | c | c
     15	l | c | c | c | c | c | c
     16	l | c | c | c | c | c | c
     17	l | c | c | c | c | c | c
     18	l | c | c | c | c | c | c
     19	l | c | c | c | c | c | c.
     20	:SLIST:LIST:SIMPLEQ:STAILQ:TAILQ:CIRCLEQ
     21	_
     22	_EMPTY:+:+:+:+:+:+
     23	_FIRST:+:+:+:+:+:+
     24	_FOREACH:+:+:+:+:+:+
     25	.D1 HELLO
     26	_LAST:-:-:-:+:+:+
     27	_LOOP_NEXT:-:-:-:-:-:+
     28	_LOOP_PREV:-:-:-:-:-:+
     29	_NEXT:+:+:+:+:+:+
     30	_PREV:-:-:-:-:+:+
     31	_REMOVE:+:+:+:+:+:+
     32	_CONCAT:-:-:+:+:+:-
     33	.TE

* Re: tbl is now integrated into mandoc.
@ 2011-01-03 15:13 ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-01-03 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

> There are still some elements that need consideration:
>
> (1) calculating lengths given escapes in input;
> (2) -T[x]html, -Tpdf, and -Tps output.
>
> For now, -Tpdf and -Tps look like crap, and -T[x]html hasn't been done
> at all. I'm actually not exactly sure how I'm going to get the lines
> done properly in PS or PDF. -T[x]html, however, shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm going to try to push some logic down into the code
> regarding (1), then tag out a release so the -Tascii tbl stuff is out in
> the wild.

Hi,

A little update.

I've since then pushed the table column/row width calculations into the
front-end of mandoc.  Now, embedded escapes (such as \f fonts or \s and
so on) are now correctly handled in terms of spacing widths.

Furthermore, the -Tps and -Tpdf output now look slightly better, as
ruling widths are now assigned from the underlying output engine
calculations (glyph widths vs. character count).

I'm going to tweak it some more, check it against the existing tbl
corpus (as suggested by schwarze@), then tag out a release.

Enjoy,

Kristaps