discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* mandoc & mandocdb on Mac OS X
@ 2014-08-09 12:25 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2014-08-09 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi,

Thought I'd drop a note to all with OSX who want mandoc goodness instead
of the defaults for apropos and so on.  This can be easily modified to
only affect the local user, but I want to make it the system default.
(As noted to tech@, there's a certain failure with mmap() in running
some commands, but this should be fixed soon, so I won't mention it here.)

First, uncomment "USE_MANPATH" in the Makefile.  Then make (or remake)
and install with the usual make install.  (All binaries dumped into
/usr/local now.)

Aside: I also uncommented the CFLAGS and DBLIB to include /usr/local as
I've compiled a more recent SQLite in there.  The default SQLite doesn't
have SQLITE_DETERMINISTIC.  I don't know how much of a difference this
makes, however.

Prep the makewhatis database.

  $ sudo /usr/local/sbin/makewhatis

Optionally add this to the /etc/weekly.local file.  Note that the system
makewhatis (via makewhatis.local) will also run weekly as stipulated in
/etc/periodic/weekly.

Then make sure that apropos and whatis point to mandoc's versions of the
same.  You can either replace the in-system binaries or alias.  (Note:
if you alias, running apropos via man won't work with the new system.)

Finally, we need to de-funk man-db:

  $ alias man='man -c -p ""'

This makes the formatter be run each time (-c) and suppresses
preprocessors (-p "").  Next, to continue de-funkifying, we need not
only to replace nroff with mandoc in /etc/man.conf, but to decline the
"help" that man-db gives us in line lengths in a way that I can't
disable but that triggers -man mode instead of -mdoc:

  NROFF           tail -n +2 | /usr/local/bin/mandoc

That's it!  NOTE: not all manuals play well with mandoc!  Specifically,
the OpenGL manuals look like butts.  I don't know why yet.  Perhaps, in
converting from DocBook, they didn't use docbook2mdoc...

(Aside number two.  It's because the OpenGL docbook input use a lot of
<inlineequation>, which docbook2mdoc doesn't understand enough to
convert to eqn.  In turn, mandoc's eqn wouldn't understand enough of the
eqn itself...  Any takers?)

Best,

Kristaps

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-08-09 12:25 UTC | newest]