discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* File permission issue in recent tarballs?
@ 2011-06-30 21:05 Jack Nagel
From: Jack Nagel @ 2011-06-30 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

The files in the current (1.11.3) tarball are not owner-writeable.

Read-only files make it difficult for things like package management
software to edit the installation prefix, apply patches, etc.

The change appears to have occurred between 1.10.9 and 1.11.1. Here
are a couple of excerpts from freshly untarred directory listings:

[jacknagel@yonah mdocml-1.10.9]$ ls -la
-rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   9560 Jan  7 09:07 Makefile
-rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1141 Jan  7 09:07 arch.c
-rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1868 Jan  7 09:07 arch.in
-rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1138 Jan  7 09:07 att.c

[jacknagel@yonah mdocml-1.11.1]$ ls -la
-r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   8649 Apr  4 17:07 Makefile
-r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1159 Apr  4 17:07 arch.c
-r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1868 Apr  4 17:07 arch.in
-r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1156 Apr  4 17:07 att.c

Thanks.

Jack

* Re: File permission issue in recent tarballs?
@ 2011-07-01  8:39 ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2011-07-01  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss; +Cc: Jack Nagel

> The files in the current (1.11.3) tarball are not owner-writeable.
>
> Read-only files make it difficult for things like package management
> software to edit the installation prefix, apply patches, etc.
>
> The change appears to have occurred between 1.10.9 and 1.11.1. Here
> are a couple of excerpts from freshly untarred directory listings:
>
> [jacknagel@yonah mdocml-1.10.9]$ ls -la
> -rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   9560 Jan  7 09:07 Makefile
> -rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1141 Jan  7 09:07 arch.c
> -rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1868 Jan  7 09:07 arch.in
> -rw-r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1138 Jan  7 09:07 att.c
>

> [jacknagel@yonah mdocml-1.11.1]$ ls -la
> -r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   8649 Apr  4 17:07 Makefile
> -r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1159 Apr  4 17:07 arch.c
> -r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1868 Apr  4 17:07 arch.in
> -r--r--r--@  1 jacknagel  staff   1156 Apr  4 17:07 att.c
>
> Thanks.

Hi Jack,

I'm ambivalent to this (the change was in 1.319, with the Makefile
re-write), so can patch for the next release.  Any objections from
downstream before I do so?

Kristaps

* Re: File permission issue in recent tarballs?
@ 2011-07-01 21:49   ` Jack Nagel
From: Jack Nagel @ 2011-07-01 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.