tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Complex -column patches finished.
@ 2010-05-31 10:33 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-05-31 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech

Hello,

We now accept arbitrarily complex `Bl -column' list items, e.g.,

.Bl -column asdf asdf
.It Fl a
.Fl b Ta
.Ao c Ao
.El

old groff gets confused when handling these: it spews out weird
white-space.  The above, for example, produces

DESCRIPTION
      -a -b      <c>

while new groff and mandoc correctly render

DESCRIPTION
      -a -b   <c>

Both old and new groff get a little confused when handling trailing tab
markers instead of `Ta', e.g.,

.It Fl a <TAB>
.Ao c Ao

while produce a leading whitespace to the "<c>".

We actually support this:

.Bl -column asdf asdf
.It Fl a
.Fl b Ta
.Bl -enum
.It
foo
.El
.Ao c Ac
.El
asdf

And it doesn't look [too] bad.  I think we should be raising warnings if
block-level elements are introduced in a -column context, but, on the
otherhand, -Thtml will actually produce sane output with arbitrarily
complex constructions.

There may be a bit of fallout from this, although I haven't really
noticed any, so keep an eye on your complex lists.

NOTE: we still don't do "implied" `It'.  I'll try to take care of this
next, as then I can remove some checks.

Thanks,

Kristaps

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-05-31 10:32 UTC | newest]