tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Lots of up-coming mandoc attention...
@ 2010-11-29 17:30 Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-11-29 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech; +Cc: jmc

Hi, these last few months have been filled to saturation in terms of my
research, but I've now a bit of time to spend on mandoc and intend to
use every last moment of it.  You can see the beginning of the deluge in
the source changes list.

To wit, I'll bring down the following major elements:

  (1) Move mdoc_action.c into mdoc_validate.c.

This has long been on my list, but remains unfinished.  I'm mostly done
with it now.  It's fairly important because it also will let me unwind
the notion of "failure" happening within the system, which is somewhat
schizophrenic right now.

  (2) Same with man_action.c.

Similar reasons.  This will be much easier than for mdoc.

At this point I'll tag a mini-release, i.e., one that's not pushed to
the site (having few outward-facing differences), but serves as a
logical separation for...

  (3) Merging tbl.

Ingo's code will be the basis of full integration---i.e., tbl will be
supported within the mandoc binary.  I really, really wish there were a
way around this, but tbl needs contextual cues that just don't exist
elsewhere (e.g., output mode, page width, symbols, etc.).  This will
consist of changes in many areas of the code, but in short, parsing will
occur in libroff and presentation will hook out of the appropriate
frontends.  The node structures will include support for tbl trees.
I'll keep the code separated out to allow for a standalone tbl(1)
implementation.  tbl WILL bloat the codebase.  A lot.  But there's just
no way to grab contextual clues as a preprocessor.

I strongly suggest re-considering, before I jump into all this, whether
we want this much bloat.  If we can cull some aspects of the tbl
language, and fix things like mode (pure text) and widths, then we can
get away with a preprocessor.

I'll raise this again after the first release.

Following tbl, I'll move on to `de'.

Meanwhile, these mdoc.7 and roff.7 changes look quite nice, and I'd like
to see them pushed into up-stream!

Thanks,

Kristaps

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-11-29 17:30 UTC | newest]