mailing list of musl libc
* [compatibility] zsh, autoconf
@ 2011-04-12  2:30 Valentin Ochs
From: Valentin Ochs @ 2011-04-12  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

[-- Attachment #1: Type: multipart/signed, Size: 1135 bytes --]

* Re: [compatibility] zsh, autoconf
@ 2011-04-12  2:48 ` Valentin Ochs
From: Valentin Ochs @ 2011-04-12  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

[-- Attachment #1: Type: multipart/signed, Size: 465 bytes --]

* Re: [compatibility] zsh, autoconf
@ 2011-04-12 13:41 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2011-04-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 04:30:18AM +0200, Valentin Ochs wrote:
> autoconf:
> - the configure script defines sigset_t to unsigned int, because
>   autoconf doesn't define _POSIX_C_SOURCE before including signal.h.
>   I'll probably file a bug report for this tomorrow.

Try configuring with CPPFLAGS=-Dwhatever or CC="gcc -Dwhatever". (The
latter may be more reliable.)

> zsh:
> - define HAVE_STRUCT_TIMEZONE in zsh's config.h (bleeping ./configure...)
>   I suspect that a few of these bugs are because autoconf doesn't detect
>   some types because of missing feature test macros, then it redefines
>   some crap and gcc pukes "error: two or more data types in declaration
>   specifiers" all over the place, resulting in more broken stuff! \o/
>   http://twitter.com/timmartin2/status/23365017839599616 got it right.

"struct timezone" is legacy crap that's only defined if -D_GNU_SOURCE
is used. It's probably the same issue as configure not detecting
sigset_t etc.

A better question would be: why are they using struct timezone? It is
*absolutely* *useless*. Probably you should just submit a patch to
remove it.

> - needs to include <sys/resource.h>
> - needs RLIM_NLIMITS, which is in asm-generic/resource.h, but not
>   resource.h

This I can add - afaik RLIM_* is in the reserved namespace for
sys/resource.h.

Rich

* Re: [compatibility] zsh, autoconf
@ 2011-04-12 14:43   ` Valentin Ochs
From: Valentin Ochs @ 2011-04-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

[-- Attachment #1: Type: multipart/signed, Size: 1766 bytes --]

* Re: [compatibility] zsh, autoconf
@ 2011-04-12 15:25     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2011-04-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 04:43:51PM +0200, Valentin Ochs wrote:
> > A better question would be: why are they using struct timezone? It is
> > *absolutely* *useless*. Probably you should just submit a patch to
> > remove it.
>
> I just want to get the stuff to compile, not look through the software
> and fix obsolete stuff :P
> There's so much code that needs patches for musl, I'd need years if I
> also fixed their other crap for them ;)

Well my thought was that a 1-2 line diff that just removes the
incorrect usage of struct timezone might be a simpler fix than fixing
the detection, and would clean things up rather than creating more
useless complexity.

> > > - needs to include <sys/resource.h>
> > > - needs RLIM_NLIMITS, which is in asm-generic/resource.h, but not
> > >   resource.h
> >
> > This I can add - afaik RLIM_* is in the reserved namespace for
> > sys/resource.h.
>
> rlim_ and/or RLIMIT_ --- I guess you could let that
> count.

So _GNU_SOURCE it is...

Rich