mailing list of musl libc
* Other C compiler
@ 2011-04-29 19:29 nicolas
From: nicolas @ 2011-04-29 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english, i'm french and i son't know if i
can handle a whole conversation...
I am interested in musl, because i was looking for a light C library for
my small linux projects.

Congratulations for your work !
I read the source code quickly, and it's a really good job.

Would it be possible to use an other C compiler than gcc ?
My objective is to have one of the smallest GNU/Linux system.

For example, is it possible to use Portable C Compiler or even TinyCC ?
If yes, how to do that ?

Cheers,
Nicolas

* Re: Other C compiler
@ 2011-04-29 19:46 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2011-04-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:29:20PM +0200, nicolas@atelier-web.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, sorry for my bad english, i'm french and i son't know if i
> can handle a whole conversation...
> I am interested in musl, because i was looking for a light C library for
> my small linux projects.
>
> Congratulations for your work !
> I read the source code quickly, and it's a really good job.
>
> Would it be possible to use an other C compiler than gcc ?
> My objective is to have one of the smallest GNU/Linux system.
>
> For example, is it possible to use Portable C Compiler or even TinyCC ?

It is definitely possible both to compile pcc linked to musl, and to
compile musl using pcc. However, the version of pcc I have tried has
some bugs that affect musl, including serious floating point bugs that
results in printf going into an infinite loop and smashing the stack
due to a loop not terminating on a floating point condition where it
should. Are you interested in helping debug this? I haven't tried
recent pcc releases again so it's possible that it's been fixed.

I have not tested TinyCC at all. When I first tried it, musl did not
have some machine-specific header stuff it needed, and it was
impossible to build. It's likely that it works now though, or that it
could be made to work without too much effort. I have no idea if
tinycc can be used to compile musl though.

> If yes, how to do that ?

Just put CC=pcc or CC=tcc in your config.mak file.

Rich