mailing list of musl libc
* Releasing 0.8.4?
@ 2012-01-21  1:07 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-01-21  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Anything critical that should be addressed before releasing current
git as 0.8.4? I figure it's been in a "stable" (hiatus) state long
enough that it should be good, but if not I'd like to hear about the
problems sooner rather than later. :-)

Rich

* Re: Releasing 0.8.4?
@ 2012-01-21 11:51 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-01-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2012-01-20 20:07:20 -0500]:
> Anything critical that should be addressed before releasing current
> git as 0.8.4? I figure it's been in a "stable" (hiatus) state long
> enough that it should be good, but if not I'd like to hear about the
> problems sooner rather than later. :-)

i reported a bug about the CHUNK_SIZE macro of malloc

there is an old related FIXME comment in malloc.c
you haven't replied my mail if that can be resolved
with the found bug

imho that if(0) can be eliminated
but i don't quite understand the
algorithm as much as you do..

* Re: Releasing 0.8.4?
@ 2012-01-21 13:08   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-01-21 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:51:19PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2012-01-20 20:07:20 -0500]:
> > Anything critical that should be addressed before releasing current
> > git as 0.8.4? I figure it's been in a "stable" (hiatus) state long
> > enough that it should be good, but if not I'd like to hear about the
> > problems sooner rather than later. :-)
>
> i reported a bug about the CHUNK_SIZE macro of malloc

The bug I was aware about was fixed. Can you remind me if there's
another one I'm not aware about?

> there is an old related FIXME comment in malloc.c
> you haven't replied my mail if that can be resolved
> with the found bug

The fix only affected mmapped chunks and the realloc comment was for
heap-managed chunks, so unfortunately I don't think it helps.

> imho that if(0) can be eliminated
> but i don't quite understand the
> algorithm as much as you do..

That code also involves a tradeoff (sacrificing a little time for the
sake of reducing fragmentation), so it's not 100% clear that it's even
desirable. I'd at least like to wait til some time other than
right-before-release to study the issue.

Rich

* Re: Releasing 0.8.4?
@ 2012-01-21 13:47     ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-01-21 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2012-01-21 08:08:47 -0500]:
> The bug I was aware about was fixed. Can you remind me if there's
> another one I'm not aware about?

no other bug

> That code also involves a tradeoff (sacrificing a little time for the
> sake of reducing fragmentation), so it's not 100% clear that it's even
> desirable. I'd at least like to wait til some time other than
> right-before-release to study the issue.

ok