mailing list of musl libc
* C++ support!
@ 2012-03-01  5:10 Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-03-01  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that musl is now (as of current git) able to
support C++ programs. I've just built gcc 4.6.2 with C++ support,
including shared libgcc_s.so and libstdc++.so, and everything seems to
work as expected.

In order to get libstdc++ to build, the config/os/gnu-linux directory
needs to be removed and replaced with a symlink to (or copy of) the
contents of config/os/generic. This is to remove the
glibc-locale-specific bit-peeking hacks that depend on glibc's
implementation of ctype.h.

You may also encounter the libstdc++ configure script complaining that
it cannot run programs produced by the newly-build gcc compiler. This
can be worked around by convincing the build process that you're
building a cross-compiler or by adding the in-build-tree path to
libgcc_s.so.1 to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I have not tried building any major C++ software, only trivial test
programs, so I would welcome reports on whether real-world programs
work as expected.

Rich

* Re: C++ support!
@ 2013-02-19 19:24 ` Aaron Michaux
From: Aaron Michaux @ 2013-02-19 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Rich Felker <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> You may also encounter the libstdc++ configure script complaining that
> it cannot run programs produced by the newly-build gcc compiler. This
> can be worked around by convincing the build process that you're
> building a cross-compiler or by adding the in-build-tree path to
> libgcc_s.so.1 to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Rich

You wouldn't be so kind as to show the ./configure options you used to build
libstdc++? Thanks in advance
-- Aaron

* Re: Re: C++ support!
@ 2013-02-20  1:08   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2013-02-20  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 07:24:05PM +0000, Aaron Michaux wrote:
> Rich Felker <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > You may also encounter the libstdc++ configure script complaining that
> > it cannot run programs produced by the newly-build gcc compiler. This
> > can be worked around by convincing the build process that you're
> > building a cross-compiler or by adding the in-build-tree path to
> > libgcc_s.so.1 to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > Rich
>
> You wouldn't be so kind as to show the ./configure options you used to build
> libstdc++? Thanks in advance
> -- Aaron

Look at the musl-cross repo: https://github.com/GregorR/musl-cross

It contains the patches needed to fix glibc dependencies in libstdc++,
as well as build scripts with sample configure options that work.

Rich