mailing list of musl libc
* Why *l math functions are just skipped for some targets?
@ 2014-10-07 16:44 Sergey Dmitrouk
From: Sergey Dmitrouk @ 2014-10-07 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,

files like __fpclassifyl.c omit implementation for corresponding
functions on platforms where sizeof(long double) == sizeof(double).
This is fine when musl is compiled at least with -O1 and compiler
omits calls to non-existing functions, but if one builds debug version
without optimizations, some executables end up having unresolved symbols
for functions like __fpclassifyl().

This causes some inconvenience.  Also, optimizing compilers are not
intended to allow such hacks, it just happens to be so.  Is there any
reason to not provide some stub functions?  I can image small size is
the reason, but not sure it justifies unexpected unresolved symbols.  At
least a comment in place of absent functions would be helpful.

Best regards,
Sergey

* Re: Why *l math functions are just skipped for some targets?
@ 2014-10-07 17:13 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-10-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 07:44:15PM +0300, Sergey Dmitrouk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> files like __fpclassifyl.c omit implementation for corresponding
> functions on platforms where sizeof(long double) == sizeof(double).
> This is fine when musl is compiled at least with -O1 and compiler
> omits calls to non-existing functions, but if one builds debug version
> without optimizations, some executables end up having unresolved symbols
> for functions like __fpclassifyl().
>
> This causes some inconvenience.  Also, optimizing compilers are not
> intended to allow such hacks, it just happens to be so.  Is there any
> reason to not provide some stub functions?  I can image small size is
> the reason, but not sure it justifies unexpected unresolved symbols.  At
> least a comment in place of absent functions would be helpful.

I'm pretty sure it's just an omission that went unnoticed, not any
attempt to optimize for size via hacks. I'll look into getting it
fixed.

Rich