mailing list of musl libc
* Re: mips n64 porting review
       [not found] <DE16056458B9894F9D46202EC1BBB28B3BDC3210@PUMAIL01.pu.imgtec.org>
@ 2016-02-03 23:36 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-03 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Szabolcs Nagy, Jaydeep Patil, Anand Takale, musl

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:41:13PM +0000, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> I have attached the patch which has all the MIPS n64 porting work. I
> have created mips64port remote branch on GitHub and the repository
> is https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/tree/mips64port which has
> the broken down patches and the base revision on which I have
> prepared patch is v1.1.12-41-g3abb094.

Some preliminary review:

The relocation support commit still needs a lot of work:

https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/commit/55147891bc0caf757bb0e00a81d550aadc71750c

The good news is, I think it's mostly -'s that it needs. I was puzzled
at first by all the Elf64_Mips_Rel[a] stuff, and found it seems to be
have been copied verbatim from uClibc source (and possibly indirectly
from glibc) which would be a big problem, but I don't think it's
needed anyway. Here's the relevant comment:

https://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/tree/ldso/ldso/mips/dl-sysdep.h?id=966adfe8ed0364ae32cc80d375d736298972d031#n13

In short, somebody's mental model of how MIPS64 relocations work (and
this might actually have relevance for relocations used in .o files)
was that each relocation slot stores up to 3 actual relocations. In
reality, however, the only place where "more than one relocation"
appears in the same lot for dynamic relocations is R_MIPS_REL32
followed by R_MIPS_64, which you're actually treating as one
relocation:

#define REL_SYM_OR_REL  4611		/* (R_MIPS_64 << 8) | R_MIPS_REL32 */

and this latter treatment makes a whole lot more sense. In short, I
think you could remove all of the Elf64_Mips_Rel[a] stuff and the
associated #ifdef __mips64 and just use the standard ELF reloc
processing code paths, and everything should work. If not, it should
only be minor details keeping it from working and it should be easy to
fix them in a cleaner way.

Second thing I noticed was the invasive way you're dealing with the
broken kernel stat structure for mips. This should be done the same
way it's done on 32-bit mips, with the fixup function in
syscall_arch.h.

Third, I suspect socket.h needs to be checked. The kernel usually has
the wrong types for 64-bit archs, and some endian-specific padding is
required to work around it. See how x86_64 and aarch64 do it.

Fourth, I suspect ksigaction.h is mildly wrong ([4] should be [2]) and
this is why the #ifdefs to use _NSIG/8 instead of sizeof were needed.
Fixing that should eliminate the need to change non-arch-specific
files.

Fifth, I don't see why there's a mips64-specific definition for
RLIM_INFINITY; it's the same value as the generic definition.

There are a couple other things that you've got #ifdefs for that are
probably a matter of code that's changed upstream:

pthread_cancel.c should be using the MC_PC macro, which pthread_arch.h
should define, to access the member of mcontext_t containing the
program counter. The definition from 32-bit mips should work.

A recent commit also replaced the DYNAMIC_IS_RO macro with
DT_DEBUG_INDIRECT which was part of making gdb work right on mips. I
suspect the same solution works on mips64.

The bits deduplication patch removed the need for a lot of the bits
headers. The ones that are no longer needed should be left out when we
merge.

The .sub system for subarchs (soft float) was removed and replaced by
support for .S and .c files in arch dirs, so this also needs to be
updated when merging.

I haven't gotten a chance to review everything in full detail yet but
that should be the bulk of what needs to be changed. I'll follow up
with anything else I find.

Thanks for all your work on this!

Rich

@ 2016-02-04  0:45 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2016-02-04  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Rich Felker, Jaydeep Patil, Anand Takale, musl

* Mahesh Bodapati <Mahesh.Bodapati@imgtec.com> [2016-02-03 15:41:13 +0000]:
> We have modified 3 test cases in libc test bench and I have attached that patch too.

thanks, fixed.

> We have tested MIPS n64 [mips64r2 to mips64r5] libraries on little endian and here are the FAILS.
>
> FAIL ./src/api/main.exe [status 1]
ok

> FAIL ./src/functional/pthread_cancel-points-static.exe [timed out]
> FAIL ./src/functional/pthread_cancel-points.exe [timed out]
> FAIL ./src/functional/pthread_cond.exe [timed out]

these should pass

> FAIL ./src/functional/snprintf-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/snprintf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/strtold-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/strtold.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/swprintf-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/swprintf.exe [status 1]

bits/float.h is wrong

if mips64 uses ieee binary128 then copy aarch64 float.h
otherwise use arm float.h

> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol.exe [status 1]
ok

> FAIL ./src/math/acosh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/asinh.exe [status 1]
ok

> FAIL ./src/math/fenv.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/isless.exe [status 1]
these should pass

> FAIL ./src/math/j0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jn.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jnf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/sinh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/tgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0f.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/ynf.exe [status 1]
ok

> FAIL ./src/regression/printf-fmt-g-round-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/regression/printf-fmt-g-round.exe [status 1]
bits/float.h

> FAIL ./src/regression/pthread_cond-smasher.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/regression/pthread_condattr_setclock.exe [status 1]

should work.

> We haven't test on big endian boards and we are doing it now.
>
> Thanks,
> Mahesh

* Re: Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-04 23:52   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-04 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Szabolcs Nagy, Jaydeep Patil, Anand Takale, musl

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 06:36:57PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:41:13PM +0000, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> > Hi Rich,
> > I have attached the patch which has all the MIPS n64 porting work. I
> > have created mips64port remote branch on GitHub and the repository
> > is https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/tree/mips64port which has
> > the broken down patches and the base revision on which I have
> > prepared patch is v1.1.12-41-g3abb094.
>
> Some preliminary review:

One more thing that came up in reviewing syscall_cp.s was actually a
bug copied from existing code in musl, which is fixed by this commit:

http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=756c8af8589265e99e454fe3adcda1d0bc5e1963

In practice the code seemed to work but it was wrong with respect to
ABI requirements.

I think the way you're saving $gp on the stack in sigsetjmp.s is also
invalid since that part of the stack will have been clobbered by the
time setjmp returns a second time. You could save it inside an unused
part of the jump buffer, but it might be better to just avoid the $gp
register and instead use temp registers and possibly some pc-relative
address computations.

Rich

* Re: Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-05  4:27     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-05  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Szabolcs Nagy, Jaydeep Patil, Anand Takale, musl

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 06:52:47PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 06:36:57PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:41:13PM +0000, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> > > Hi Rich,
> > > I have attached the patch which has all the MIPS n64 porting work. I
> > > have created mips64port remote branch on GitHub and the repository
> > > is https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/tree/mips64port which has
> > > the broken down patches and the base revision on which I have
> > > prepared patch is v1.1.12-41-g3abb094.
> >
> > Some preliminary review:
>
> One more thing that came up in reviewing syscall_cp.s was actually a
> bug copied from existing code in musl, which is fixed by this commit:
>
> http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=756c8af8589265e99e454fe3adcda1d0bc5e1963
>
> In practice the code seemed to work but it was wrong with respect to
> ABI requirements.
>
> I think the way you're saving $gp on the stack in sigsetjmp.s is also
> invalid since that part of the stack will have been clobbered by the
> time setjmp returns a second time. You could save it inside an unused
> part of the jump buffer, but it might be better to just avoid the $gp
> register and instead use temp registers and possibly some pc-relative
> address computations.

Likewise in pipe.s, it's overly complicated by the fact that it's
saving $gp on the stack and thereby can't make a tail call to
__syscall_ret like it's intended to. If you just use a different
register instead of $gp that's call-clobbered you can tail-call just
like the 32-bit mips version. Alternatively it's possible now to write
src/unistd/mips64/pipe.c instead using inline asm and let the compiler
handle the nastiness of the calling convention. I'd be happy with
either approach; the C version is probably mildly nicer, especially if
the compiler still does the tail-call right and doesn't generate come
bloated monstrosity. (Note that you can't use C for sigsetjmp though
because it can't use the stack.)

At this point I think I've looked through all the mips64 files at
least once and caught all the important issues.

Rich

* Re: Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-12 18:51       ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-12 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Szabolcs Nagy, Jaydeep Patil, Anand Takale, musl

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 11:27:34PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 06:52:47PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > >
> > > Some preliminary review:
> >
> > One more thing that came up in reviewing syscall_cp.s was actually a
> > bug copied from existing code in musl, which is fixed by this commit:
> >
> > http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit/?id=756c8af8589265e99e454fe3adcda1d0bc5e1963
> >
> > In practice the code seemed to work but it was wrong with respect to
> > ABI requirements.
> >
> > I think the way you're saving $gp on the stack in sigsetjmp.s is also
> > invalid since that part of the stack will have been clobbered by the
> > time setjmp returns a second time. You could save it inside an unused
> > part of the jump buffer, but it might be better to just avoid the $gp
> > register and instead use temp registers and possibly some pc-relative
> > address computations.
>
> Likewise in pipe.s, it's overly complicated by the fact that it's
> saving $gp on the stack and thereby can't make a tail call to
> __syscall_ret like it's intended to. If you just use a different
> register instead of $gp that's call-clobbered you can tail-call just
> like the 32-bit mips version. Alternatively it's possible now to write
> src/unistd/mips64/pipe.c instead using inline asm and let the compiler
> handle the nastiness of the calling convention. I'd be happy with
> either approach; the C version is probably mildly nicer, especially if
> the compiler still does the tail-call right and doesn't generate come
> bloated monstrosity. (Note that you can't use C for sigsetjmp though
> because it can't use the stack.)
>
> At this point I think I've looked through all the mips64 files at
> least once and caught all the important issues.

Ping. Any questions or updates on mips64?

Rich

* RE: Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-15  4:46         ` Jaydeep Patil
From: Jaydeep Patil @ 2016-02-15  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Felker, Mahesh Bodapati; +Cc: Szabolcs Nagy, Anand Takale, musl

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments. We are working on rebasing the patch.

Regards,
Jaydeep

@ 2016-02-26  3:58             ` Jaydeep Patil
From: Jaydeep Patil @ 2016-02-26  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalias, musl; +Cc: Mahesh Bodapati

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the comments.
I will submit the N64 patch with nlink_t changed.

Regards,
Jaydeep

* Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-25 18:31             ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: Jaydeep Patil, Mahesh Bodapati

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 07:23:36PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * dalias@libc.org <dalias@libc.org> [2016-02-25 13:01:50 -0500]:
> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:05:33PM +0000, Jaydeep Patil wrote:
> > > and all st_*tim members are of 16 bytes
> >
> > Uhg. Does mips64 actually use a 32-bit time_t? If so I think with
>
> i think time_t is always __kernel_long_t in linux uapi.
> (which is surely 64bit on mips64)

Okay, that's good to know. Apparently their 'struct stat' is just
completely unusable from userspace without conversion because the
types are wrong. This is also going to lead to a nasty hidden Y2038
bug where the system looks Y2038-ready but the kernel returns
truncated file timestamps. Fixing dynamic-linked programs will be easy
(just upgrade libc.so to use whatever new syscall the kernel adds) but
for static-linked ones the bug will remain buried until it blows up..
(unless you use strace to check for it)

Rich

* Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-25 18:29             ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2016-02-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@port70.net> [2016-02-25 19:23:36 +0100]:

> * dalias@libc.org <dalias@libc.org> [2016-02-25 13:01:50 -0500]:
> > On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:05:33PM +0000, Jaydeep Patil wrote:
> > > and all st_*tim members are of 16 bytes
> >
> > Uhg. Does mips64 actually use a 32-bit time_t? If so I think with
>
> i think time_t is always __kernel_long_t in linux uapi.
> (which is surely 64bit on mips64)

oh, except mips does not use time_t in struct stat

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/mips/include/uapi/asm/stat.h#n89

* Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-25 18:23           ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2016-02-25 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

@ 2016-02-25 18:22           ` dalias
From: dalias @ 2016-02-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl; +Cc: Jaydeep Patil, Mahesh Bodapati

@ 2016-02-25 18:01         ` dalias
From: dalias @ 2016-02-25 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

       [not found]     ` <DE16056458B9894F9D46202EC1BBB28B3BE162B3@PUMAIL01.pu.imgtec.org>
@ 2016-02-25 12:05       ` Jaydeep Patil
From: Jaydeep Patil @ 2016-02-25  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: dalias @ 2016-02-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaydeep Patil; +Cc: musl, Mahesh Bodapati

       [not found]     ` <DE16056458B9894F9D46202EC1BBB28B3BE16033@PUMAIL01.pu.imgtec.org>
@ 2016-02-24 10:11       ` Jaydeep Patil
From: Jaydeep Patil @ 2016-02-24 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalias, musl; +Cc: Mahesh Bodapati

Hi Rich,

Regarding the N64 relocations (changes in dynlink.h):
MIPS64 N64 relocations are slightly different than that of MIPS32 O32. The 64-bit r_info member of the REL/RELA contains up to three relocation types (8bits each) and two symbol table indexes (8bits and 32bits).

For example (extracted from libc.so):

Offset                 Info                    Type                          Sym. Value    Sym. Name
0000000c4000  000000001203 R_MIPS_REL32
                                            Type2: R_MIPS_64
                                            Type3: R_MIPS_NONE

In case of big-endian systems, R_TYPE (x & 0x7fffffff) and R_SYM (x >> 32) macros can be used to extract type and symbol table index. However on little-endian system, the raw r_info looks like 0x0312000000000000 and thus the required relocation information cannot be extracted using R_TYPE etc. macros.

We have tested the modified R_TYPE/R_SYM/R_INFO macros for both big and little-endian. However as mentioned in the review, the change doesn't look good.
Please refer to the revised dynlink.h given below.

diff --git a/src/internal/dynlink.h b/src/internal/dynlink.h
index 48890b2..05cbdcc 100644
--- a/src/internal/dynlink.h
+++ b/src/internal/dynlink.h
@@ -11,12 +11,56 @@ typedef Elf32_Phdr Phdr;
typedef Elf32_Sym Sym;
#define R_TYPE(x) ((x)&255)
#define R_SYM(x) ((x)>>8)
+#define R_INFO ELF32_R_INFO
#else
typedef Elf64_Ehdr Ehdr;
typedef Elf64_Phdr Phdr;
typedef Elf64_Sym Sym;
#define R_TYPE(x) ((x)&0x7fffffff)
#define R_SYM(x) ((x)>>32)
+#define R_INFO ELF64_R_INFO
+#endif
+
+#ifdef __mips64
+#undef R_TYPE
+#undef R_SYM
+#undef R_INFO
+
+typedef union {
+  uint64_t r_info;
+  struct {
+    uint32_t sym1;
+    unsigned char sym2;
+    unsigned char type3;
+    unsigned char type2;
+    unsigned char type1;
+  } r_info_fields;
+} _ELF64_MIPS_R_INFO;
+
+#define R_TYPE(INFO) ({                            \
+  _ELF64_MIPS_R_INFO info;                         \
+  uint32_t r_type;                                 \
+  info.r_info = (INFO);                            \
+  r_type = (uint32_t) info.r_info_fields.type1 |   \
+    (uint32_t) info.r_info_fields.type2 << 8 |     \
+    (uint32_t) info.r_info_fields.type3 << 16;     \
+  r_type;                                          \
+})
+
+#define R_SYM(INFO) ({              \
+  _ELF64_MIPS_R_INFO info;          \
+  uint32_t symidx;                  \
+  info.r_info = (INFO);             \
+  symidx = info.r_info_fields.sym1; \
+  symidx;                           \
+})
+
+#define R_INFO(SYM,TYPE1) ({          \
+  _ELF64_MIPS_R_INFO info;            \
+  info.r_info_fields.sym1 = (SYM);    \
+  info.r_info_fields.type1 = (TYPE1); \
+  info.r_info;                        \
+})
#endif
 /* These enum constants provide unmatchable default values for

Regards,
Jaydeep

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:06:02AM +0000, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> I have attached the patch which has all the MIPS n64 porting work. I
> have created mipsn64port_review remote branch on GitHub and please
> have a look at
> https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/commits/mipsn64port_review
> which has the broken down patches and the base revision on which we
> have prepared patch is d150764
>
> We have tested on both little endian and big endian, here are the FAILS
>
> Musl mips n64 libc testing on EL :
>
> Fails: 17
> FAIL ./src/api/main.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/acosh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/asinh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/j0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jn.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jnf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/sinh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/tgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0f.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/ynf.exe [status 1]
>
> Musl mips n64 libc testing on EB :
> Fails:17
> FAIL ./src/api/main.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol-static.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/functional/wcstol.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/acosh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/asinh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/j0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jn.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/jnf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgamma_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/lgammaf_r.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/sinh.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/tgamma.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/y0f.exe [status 1]
> FAIL ./src/math/ynf.exe [status 1]
These look fairly expected.

> diff --git a/arch/mips/syscall_arch.h b/arch/mips/syscall_arch.h
               ^^^^^^^^^

This is changing the existing mips port (not mips64)...

> index 39c0ea3..8097180 100644
> --- a/arch/mips/syscall_arch.h
> +++ b/arch/mips/syscall_arch.h
> @@ -54,15 +54,16 @@ static inline long __syscall2(long n, long a, long b)
>       register long r5 __asm__("$5") = b;
>       register long r7 __asm__("$7");
>       register long r2 __asm__("$2");
> +     long ret;
>       __asm__ __volatile__ (
>               "addu $2,$0,%2 ; syscall"
>               : "=&r"(r2), "=r"(r7) : "ir"(n), "0"(r2), "1"(r7),
>                 "r"(r4), "r"(r5)
>               : "$1", "$3", "$8", "$9", "$10", "$11", "$12", "$13",
>                 "$14", "$15", "$24", "$25", "hi", "lo", "memory");
> -     if (r7) return -r2;
> -     long ret = r2;
> -     if (n == SYS_stat64 || n == SYS_fstat64 || n == SYS_lstat64) __stat_fix(b);
> +     ret = r7 ? -r2 : r2;
> +     if (n == SYS_stat64 || n == SYS_fstat64 || n == SYS_lstat64)
> +             __stat_fix (b);
>       return ret;
>  }
>
> @@ -79,10 +80,7 @@ static inline long __syscall3(long n, long a, long b, long c)
>                 "r"(r4), "r"(r5), "r"(r6)
>               : "$1", "$3", "$8", "$9", "$10", "$11", "$12", "$13",
>                 "$14", "$15", "$24", "$25", "hi", "lo", "memory");
> -     if (r7) return -r2;
> -     long ret = r2;
> -     if (n == SYS_stat64 || n == SYS_fstat64 || n == SYS_lstat64) __stat_fix(b);
> -     return ret;
> +     return r7 ? -r2 : r2;
>  }

...and significantly breaking it.

“ok,we can keep  same syscall_arch.h”

> diff --git a/arch/mips64/atomic_arch.h b/arch/mips64/atomic_arch.h
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000..d90442d
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/arch/mips64/atomic_arch.h
> @@ -0,0 +1,221 @@
> +#define a_cas a_cas
> +static inline int a_cas(volatile int *p, int t, int s)
> +{
> +     int dummy;
> +     __asm__ __volatile__(
> +             ".set push\n"
> +             ".set noreorder\n"
> +             "       sync\n"
> +             "1:     ll %0, %2\n"
> +             "       bne %0, %3, 1f\n"
> +             "       addu %1, %4, $0\n"
> +             "       sc %1, %2\n"
> +             "       beq %1, $0, 1b\n"
> +             "       nop\n"
> +             "       sync\n"
> +             "1:     \n"
> +             ".set pop\n"
> +             : "=&r"(t), "=&r"(dummy), "+m"(*p) : "r"(t), "r"(s) : "memory" );
> +        return t;
> +}
> [...]

As noted by Bobby Bingham, you can just define the new ll/sc fragments
rather than big asm blocks like were needed in old musl versions. I'll
try to get the right infrastructure for the 64-bit pointer variant
upstream right away so you can use it without needing more duplication
in the mips64 port; right now it's just in the aarch64 dir.

> diff --git a/arch/mips64/bits/float.h b/arch/mips64/bits/float.h
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000..719c790
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/arch/mips64/bits/float.h
> @@ -0,0 +1,16 @@
> +#define FLT_EVAL_METHOD 0
> +
> +#define LDBL_TRUE_MIN 6.47517511943802511092443895822764655e-4966L
> +#define LDBL_MIN 3.36210314311209350626267781732175260e-4932L
> +#define LDBL_MAX 1.18973149535723176508575932662800702e+4932L
> +#define LDBL_EPSILON 1.92592994438723585305597794258492732e-34L
> +
> +#define LDBL_MANT_DIG 113
> +#define LDBL_MIN_EXP (-16381)
> +#define LDBL_MAX_EXP 16384
> +
> +#define LDBL_DIG 33
> +#define LDBL_MIN_10_EXP (-4931)
> +#define LDBL_MAX_10_EXP 4932
> +
> +#define DECIMAL_DIG 36

Is your mips64 port using IEEE quad? These values look like they're
matched to IEEE quad, but I couldn't find clear answers on whether
mips64 is using IEEE quad or double-double. The latter cannot be
supported, so if that's what it's using, we'd need to either find a
way to configure the compiler for quad or for 64-bit long double.

“Szabolcs Nagy replied as below in prior mail discussions

bits/float.h is wrong

if mips64 uses ieee binary128 then copy aarch64 float.h otherwise use arm float.h

long double is same as double on o32 and a 128-bit IEEE quad on mips64-linux

> diff --git a/arch/mips64/bits/sem.h b/arch/mips64/bits/sem.h
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000..1c05a22
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/arch/mips64/bits/sem.h
> @@ -0,0 +1,8 @@
> +struct semid_ds {
> +     struct ipc_perm sem_perm;
> +     time_t sem_otime;
> +     time_t sem_ctime;
> +     unsigned long sem_nsems;
> +     unsigned long  __unused3;
> +     unsigned long __unused4;
> +};

sem_nsems has to have type unsigned short (this is a POSIX
requirement), with appropriate padding to match the kernel's wrong
definition. See how it's done on other archs including 32-bit mips.
The padding will need to be endian-dependent.

“we can modify this similar to mips32”

> diff --git a/arch/mips64/pthread_arch.h b/arch/mips64/pthread_arch.h
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000..b42edbe
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/arch/mips64/pthread_arch.h
> @@ -0,0 +1,18 @@
> +static inline struct pthread *__pthread_self()
> +{
> +#ifdef __clang__
> +     char *tp;
> +     __asm__ __volatile__ (".word 0x7c03e83b ; move %0, $3" : "=r" (tp) : : "$3" );
> +#else
> +     register char *tp __asm__("$3");
> +     __asm__ __volatile__ (".word 0x7c03e83b" : "=r" (tp) );
> +#endif
> +     return (pthread_t)(tp - 0x7000 - sizeof(struct pthread));
> +}

Not critical, but it would be nice to know if clang still needs this
pessimization or if there's a way to make it use the right register
directly.

> diff --git a/arch/mips64/syscall_arch.h b/arch/mips64/syscall_arch.h
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000..380b3fb
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/arch/mips64/syscall_arch.h
> @@ -0,0 +1,205 @@
> +#define __SYSCALL_LL_E(x) \
> +((union { long long ll; long l[2]; }){ .ll = x }).l[0], \
> +((union { long long ll; long l[2]; }){ .ll = x }).l[1]
> +#define __SYSCALL_LL_O(x) 0, __SYSCALL_LL_E((x))

As Bobby Bingham noted these should both just be defined as (x) for
64-bit archs.

> +#define SYSCALL_RLIM_INFINITY (-1UL/2)

Is this right for mips64?

> [...]
> +     st->st_mtim.tv_nsec = kst->st_mtime_nsec;
> +     st->st_ctim.tv_sec = kst->st_ctime_sec;
> +     st->st_ctim.tv_nsec = kst->st_ctime_nsec;
> +     st->st_blksize = kst->st_blksize;
> +     st->st_blocks = kst->st_blocks;
> +     memset (&st->st_pad5, 0, sizeof (st->st_pad5));
> +     return;
> +}

You've made this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Just
copying the __stat_fix code from 32-bit mips should work fine. The
only fixup that needs to be done is for st_dev and st_rdev and it can
be done in-place.

> +
> +#ifndef __clang__
> +
> +static inline long __syscall0(long n)
> +{
> +     register long r7 __asm__("$7");
> +     register long r2 __asm__("$2");
> +     __asm__ __volatile__ (
> +             "daddu $2,$0,%2 ; syscall"
> +             : "=&r"(r2), "=r"(r7) : "ir"(n), "0"(r2), "1"(r7)
> +             : "$1", "$3", "$8", "$9", "$10", "$11", "$12", "$13",
> +               "$14", "$15", "$24", "$25", "hi", "lo", "memory");
> +     return r7 ? -r2 : r2;
> +}
> +
> +static inline long __syscall1(long n, long a)
> +{
> +     register long r4 __asm__("$4") = a;
> +     register long r7 __asm__("$7");
> +     register long r2 __asm__("$2");
> +     __asm__ __volatile__ (
> +             "daddu $2,$0,%2 ; syscall"
> +             : "=&r"(r2), "=r"(r7) : "ir"(n), "0"(r2), "1"(r7),
> +               "r"(r4)
> +             : "$1", "$3", "$8", "$9", "$10", "$11", "$12", "$13",
> +               "$14", "$15", "$24", "$25", "hi", "lo", "memory");
> +     return r7 ? -r2 : r2;
> +}
> +
> +static inline long __syscall2(long n, long a, long b)
> +{
> +     struct kernel_stat kst = {0,};
> +     long ret;
> +     register long r4 __asm__("$4");
> +     register long r5 __asm__("$5");
> +     register long r7 __asm__("$7");
> +     register long r2 __asm__("$2");
> +
> +     r5 = b;
> +     if (n == SYS_stat || n == SYS_fstat || n == SYS_lstat)
> +             r5 = (long) &kst;
> +
> +     r4 = a;
> +     __asm__ __volatile__ (
> +             "daddu $2,$0,%2 ; syscall"
> +             : "=&r"(r2), "=r"(r7) : "ir"(n), "0"(r2), "1"(r7),
> +               "r"(r4), "r"(r5)
> +             : "$1", "$3", "$8", "$9", "$10", "$11", "$12", "$13",
> +               "$14", "$15", "$24", "$25", "hi", "lo", "memory");
> +
> +     ret = r7 ? -r2 : r2;
> +     if (n == SYS_stat || n == SYS_fstat || n == SYS_lstat)
> +             __stat_fix(&kst, (struct stat *)b);

See the logic on 32-bit mips. There should be an early return without
performing __stat_fix in the error case (if r7 is nonzero). Otherwise
you're performing fixups on uninitialized data.

> diff --git a/ldso/dynlink.c b/ldso/dynlink.c
> index 87f3b7f..2355d74 100644
> --- a/ldso/dynlink.c
> +++ b/ldso/dynlink.c
> @@ -325,8 +325,8 @@ static void do_relocs(struct dso *dso, size_t *rel, size_t rel_size, size_t stri
>       for (; rel_size; rel+=stride, rel_size-=stride*sizeof(size_t)) {
>               if (skip_relative && IS_RELATIVE(rel[1], dso->syms)) continue;
>               type = R_TYPE(rel[1]);
> -             if (type == REL_NONE) continue;
>               sym_index = R_SYM(rel[1]);
> +             if (type == REL_NONE) continue;

This looks gratuitous and probably just leftover from old things you tried.

ok

> @@ -1134,7 +1134,7 @@ static void do_mips_relocs(struct dso *p, size_t *got)
>       Sym *sym = p->syms + j;
>       rel[0] = (unsigned char *)got - base;
>       for (i-=j; i; i--, sym++, rel[0]+=sizeof(size_t)) {
> -             rel[1] = sym-p->syms << 8 | R_MIPS_JUMP_SLOT;
> +             rel[1] = R_INFO(sym-p->syms, R_MIPS_JUMP_SLOT);
>               do_relocs(p, rel, sizeof rel, 2);
>       }
>  }

Looks ok.

> @@ -1365,7 +1365,7 @@ void __dls2(unsigned char *base, size_t *sp)
>       size_t symbolic_rel_cnt = 0;
>       apply_addends_to = rel;
>       for (; rel_size; rel+=2, rel_size-=2*sizeof(size_t))
> -             if (!IS_RELATIVE(rel[1], ldso.syms)) symbolic_rel_cnt++;
> +     if (!IS_RELATIVE(rel[1], ldso.syms)) symbolic_rel_cnt++;

This looks like a non-functional change, but wrong (misleading
indention) and probably unintentional.

ok

> diff --git a/src/internal/dynlink.h b/src/internal/dynlink.h
> index 48890b2..dcc1bde 100644
> --- a/src/internal/dynlink.h
> +++ b/src/internal/dynlink.h
> @@ -11,14 +11,49 @@ typedef Elf32_Phdr Phdr;
>  typedef Elf32_Sym Sym;
>  #define R_TYPE(x) ((x)&255)
>  #define R_SYM(x) ((x)>>8)
> +#define R_INFO       ELF32_R_INFO
>  #else
>  typedef Elf64_Ehdr Ehdr;
>  typedef Elf64_Phdr Phdr;
>  typedef Elf64_Sym Sym;
>  #define R_TYPE(x) ((x)&0x7fffffff)
>  #define R_SYM(x) ((x)>>32)
> +#define R_INFO       ELF64_R_INFO
> +#define ELF64 1
>  #endif

I don't think ELF64 is used anywhere so it can be removed.

> +#ifdef __mips64
> +#undef R_TYPE
> +#undef R_SYM
> +#undef R_INFO
> +#define R_TYPE(INFO) ({                                                                              \
> +     uint64_t r_info = (INFO);                                                               \
> +     uint32_t *type, r_type;                                                                 \
> +     type = (((uint32_t*) &r_info) + 1);                                             \
> +     r_type = (uint32_t) *(((unsigned char*) type) + 3) |    \
> +     (uint32_t) *(((unsigned char*) type) + 2) << 8 |                \
> +     (uint32_t) *(((unsigned char*) type) + 1) << 16;                \
> +     r_type;                                                                                                 \
> +})
> +
> +#define R_SYM(INFO) ({                                               \
> +     uint64_t r_info = (INFO);                               \
> +     uint32_t symidx;                                                \
> +     symidx = *(((uint32_t*) &r_info) + 0);  \
> +     symidx;                                                                 \
> +})
> +
> +#define R_INFO(SYM,TYPE1) ({                                 \
> +     uint32_t *pinfo;                                                        \
> +     uint64_t r_info = 0;                                            \
> +     pinfo = ((uint32_t*) &r_info) + 1;                      \
> +     *((uint32_t*) &r_info + 0) = (SYM);                     \
> +     *((unsigned char*) pinfo + 3) = (TYPE1);        \
> +     r_info;                                                                         \
> +})
> +#endif

At the very least this is buggy (aliasing violations) and gratuitously
ugly, and might be wrong for little-endian. Have you tested it on
little?

See the discussion on top of this mail.

This code above implies that the values are always stored in
big-endian order as (sym<<32 | type). If they're actually stored
native-endian (which I would expect) then the standard Elf64
definitions just work as-is and don't need replacement. If they're
always-big, tweaked versions of the standard ones that swap the byte
order of their inputs or outputs would be all that's needed.

#if __mips64

+        for (; rel_size; rel+=3, rel_size-=3*sizeof(size_t)) {

+                if (ELF64_MIPS_R_TYPE (rel[1]) != REL_SYM_OR_REL)

+                continue;

+                size_t *rel_addr = (void *)(base + rel[0]);

+                *rel_addr = base + rel[2];

+        }

+#else

+        for (; rel_size; rel+=3, rel_size-=3*sizeof(size_t)) {

+                if (!IS_RELATIVE(rel[1], 0)) continue;

+                size_t *rel_addr = (void *)(base + rel[0]);

+                *rel_addr = base + rel[2];

+        }

For big endian ,rel[1] is 0x0000 0000 00 00 12 03   and this is equal to 4611

But for little endian , rel[1] is 0x 12 03 00 00 0000 0000 and it's not 4611 so we have checked the rel_info in glibc.

Can you help me on this issue whether there is any alternative for liitle endian.

Rich

* Re: mips n64 porting review
@ 2016-02-23  3:32 ` Rich Felker
       [not found]   ` <CAKd0kD+qQhvhiuaQ483ds2KyGD5qFjqJg4pOT6GyqCaoR9_auA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Rich Felker @ 2016-02-23  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

@ 2016-02-22 14:16 ` Bobby Bingham
From: Bobby Bingham @ 2016-02-22 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:06:02AM +0000, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> I have attached the patch which has all the MIPS n64 porting work. I have created mipsn64port_review remote branch on GitHub and please have a look at
> https://github.com/MaheshBodapati/musl/commits/mipsn64port_review  which has the broken down patches and the base revision on which we have prepared patch is d150764

I've only looked at some of the code, but I have some initial
comments/questions.

- In atomic_arch.h, you shouldn't need to implement all those
  functions.  Take a look at the current 32-bit mips file.  You should
  probably be able to just implement a_ll, a_sc, a_barrier, a_pre_llsc,
  a_post_llsc, and a_cas_p.

  I have a patch I'm working on that would let 64-bit ll/sc archs like
  mips64 and powerpc64 implement 64-bit variants of a_ll/a_sc and have
  src/internal/atomic.h implement a_cas_p and some of the other 64-bit
  operations in terms of those primitives, which should further
  simplify this file.  I'll try to get this patch cleaned up and
  submitted tonight.

- In bits/signal.h, is the union in fpregset_t correct for both big and
  little endian?

- In pthread_arch.h, what instruction is that 0x7c03e83b?  I see this
  same code is present in the existing musl mips32 port, but IMHO it
  could use a comment identifying the instruction.

- In syscall_arch.h, are the definitions of __SYSCALL_LL_E/O correct?
  Those macros exist because some 32-bit architectures pass 64-bit
  system call parameters in even/odd register pairs, even if there is
  an unused odd numbered register.  On 64-bit architectures, where
  long long fits inside a single register, I would expect these to both
  be defined to (x)

- I'm sure about the changes in ldso/dynlink.c.  One of them seems to
  change the whitespace to be more misleading, and one reorders two
  lines for no apparent reason.  I'm not sure the purpose of the
  remaining hunk.

--
Bobby

* mips n64 porting review