mailing list of musl libc
* Unexpected behaviour writing to /dev/full
@ 2018-08-02 17:51 Jonny Prouty
From: Jonny Prouty @ 2018-08-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the interaction of atexit() (I believe its
atexit, anyways) and exit statuses. First the issue I stumbled across, so
you'll see where I'm coming from:

# ls "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
0
# echo "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
1

I expected neither command to return 0 since ultimately an ENOSPC should be
returned when writing to /dev/full. Indeed, failure statuses are returned
for 'ls' and 'echo' derived from binaries built against glibc. I tried to
walk the musl code and it looks like the exit codes are being set (or not
set) by atexit(). In the case of 'ls', it seems that it was able to
successfully get a directory listing, but the final fflush() of the output
buffer fails with ENOSPC, but that is lost because it happened as a result
of some function that was registered with atexit. I *think*. This
interpretation is also borne of a desire to be able to ascribe this to the
undefined re-entrant exit behaviour described in "Re-entrancy of exit" at
https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functional-differences-from-glibc.html. 'echo'
would be failing (as expected) because presumably stdout is flushed before
it exits.

Regardless, the fact that writing to /dev/full can return success seems
wrong. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Please CC me on any responses.
Thanks!

Jonny

P.S.
musl behaves similarly to uClibc and uClibc-ng in my testing.

* Re: Unexpected behaviour writing to /dev/full
@ 2018-08-02 18:03 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2018-08-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Prouty; +Cc: musl

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 01:51:21PM -0400, Jonny Prouty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding the interaction of atexit() (I believe its
> atexit, anyways) and exit statuses. First the issue I stumbled across, so
> you'll see where I'm coming from:
>
> # ls "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
> 0
> # echo "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
> 1
>
> I expected neither command to return 0 since ultimately an ENOSPC should be
> returned when writing to /dev/full. Indeed, failure statuses are returned
> for 'ls' and 'echo' derived from binaries built against glibc. I tried to
> walk the musl code and it looks like the exit codes are being set (or not
> set) by atexit(). In the case of 'ls', it seems that it was able to
> successfully get a directory listing, but the final fflush() of the output
> buffer fails with ENOSPC, but that is lost because it happened as a result
> of some function that was registered with atexit. I *think*. This
> interpretation is also borne of a desire to be able to ascribe this to the
> undefined re-entrant exit behaviour described in "Re-entrancy of exit" at
> https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functional-differences-from-glibc.html. 'echo'
> would be failing (as expected) because presumably stdout is flushed before
> it exits.
>
> Regardless, the fact that writing to /dev/full can return success seems
> wrong. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Please CC me on any responses.
> Thanks!
>
> Jonny
>
> P.S.
> musl behaves similarly to uClibc and uClibc-ng in my testing.

What versions of ls and echo are you using? Busybox? GNU coreutils?
(Note that echo is probably a shell builtin in your shell; you need to
execute /bin/echo or similar to get the real echo program.)

There is nothing musl can do directly to change the exit status;
failure when writing/flushing a file is an error returned to the
application, which determines its own exit status, not something that
automatically changes the return value of main/argument passed to
exit().

Do you mean the program is trying to detect flush failure and set an
exit status from an atexit handler it installed? That's what gnulib
stuff does, if I recall, and it may be how the GNU coreutils ls and
other programs handle termination status. It's not a very good way to
do it, but it should work if they're doing things right. If they're
doing something that's unspecified or undefined from the atexit
handler, such as calling exit again (reentrantly), that's an
application bug.

If you tell us which versions of the utilities you're using, I can
look into it a bit more.

Rich

* Re: Unexpected behaviour writing to /dev/full
@ 2018-08-02 18:05   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2018-08-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Prouty; +Cc: musl

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 02:03:06PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 01:51:21PM -0400, Jonny Prouty wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the interaction of atexit() (I believe its
> > atexit, anyways) and exit statuses. First the issue I stumbled across, so
> > you'll see where I'm coming from:
> >
> > # ls "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
> > 0
> > # echo "$HOME" > /dev/full; echo $?
> > 1
> >
> > I expected neither command to return 0 since ultimately an ENOSPC should be
> > returned when writing to /dev/full. Indeed, failure statuses are returned
> > for 'ls' and 'echo' derived from binaries built against glibc. I tried to
> > walk the musl code and it looks like the exit codes are being set (or not
> > set) by atexit(). In the case of 'ls', it seems that it was able to
> > successfully get a directory listing, but the final fflush() of the output
> > buffer fails with ENOSPC, but that is lost because it happened as a result
> > of some function that was registered with atexit. I *think*. This
> > interpretation is also borne of a desire to be able to ascribe this to the
> > undefined re-entrant exit behaviour described in "Re-entrancy of exit" at
> > https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functional-differences-from-glibc.html. 'echo'
> > would be failing (as expected) because presumably stdout is flushed before
> > it exits.
> >
> > Regardless, the fact that writing to /dev/full can return success seems
> > wrong. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Please CC me on any responses.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jonny
> >
> > P.S.
> > musl behaves similarly to uClibc and uClibc-ng in my testing.
>
> What versions of ls and echo are you using? Busybox? GNU coreutils?
> (Note that echo is probably a shell builtin in your shell; you need to
> execute /bin/echo or similar to get the real echo program.)
>
> There is nothing musl can do directly to change the exit status;
> failure when writing/flushing a file is an error returned to the
> application, which determines its own exit status, not something that
> automatically changes the return value of main/argument passed to
> exit().
>
> Do you mean the program is trying to detect flush failure and set an
> exit status from an atexit handler it installed? That's what gnulib
> stuff does, if I recall, and it may be how the GNU coreutils ls and
> other programs handle termination status. It's not a very good way to
> do it, but it should work if they're doing things right. If they're
> doing something that's unspecified or undefined from the atexit
> handler, such as calling exit again (reentrantly), that's an
> application bug.
>
> If you tell us which versions of the utilities you're using, I can
> look into it a bit more.

For what it's worth, I just tested and got the behavior you saw with
busybox ls. With GNU coreutils ls linked against musl, I get a nonzero
exit status. So if you're using a busybox-based distro like Alpine and
didn't install GNU coreutils in place of it, this very well might just
be busybox failing to report the error, which should probably be
reported as a bug in busybox.

Rich

* Re: Unexpected behaviour writing to /dev/full
@ 2018-08-02 18:32     ` Jonny Prouty
From: Jonny Prouty @ 2018-08-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Felker; +Cc: musl

I am indeed using busybox ls, but I can get similar behavior when running
things that aren't shell builtins.  For instance in Alpine if you run:

# /bin/rc-status > /dev/full ; echo $?
0

or

#/sbin/update-conf --help &> /dev/full ; echo $?
0

Some programs do behave as I'd expect, however

# /sbin/apk --help> /dev/full ; echo $?
1

Something seems amiss.

P.S. Please excuse my brevity, I am corresponding from my phone.

@ 2018-08-02 18:53       ` Jonny Prouty
From: Jonny Prouty @ 2018-08-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Felker; +Cc: musl

Or it could be that it is just extremely commonplace to NOT check whether
you were able to successfully write to stdout before exiting. In which case
you are absolutely correct, this would be a bug in busybox (and similar
bugs in many other programs). I just tested both of the following commands
on systems using musl, uclibc-ng, and glibc, all returned 0:

# bm's vim
# vim --help &> /dev/full; echo $?
0

# gnu tar
# tar --help &> /dev/full; echo $?
0

I'm leaning towards this is just the app didn't check whether their write
to stdout was successful. Thanks for your help Rich.

@ 2018-08-02 19:51         ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2018-08-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Prouty; +Cc: musl

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 02:53:26PM -0400, Jonny Prouty wrote:
> Or it could be that it is just extremely commonplace to NOT check whether
> you were able to successfully write to stdout before exiting. In which case
> you are absolutely correct, this would be a bug in busybox (and similar
> bugs in many other programs). I just tested both of the following commands
> on systems using musl, uclibc-ng, and glibc, all returned 0:
>
> # bm's vim
> # vim --help &> /dev/full; echo $?
> 0
>
> # gnu tar
> # tar --help &> /dev/full; echo $?
> 0
>
> I'm leaning towards this is just the app didn't check whether their write
> to stdout was successful. Thanks for your help Rich.
>

> P.S. Please excuse my brevity, I am corresponding from my phone.
>
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 2:32 PM Jonny Prouty <jonathanprouty@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am indeed using busybox ls, but I can get similar behavior when running
> > things that aren't shell builtins.  For instance in Alpine if you run:
> >
> > # /bin/rc-status > /dev/full ; echo $?
> > 0
> >
> > or
> >
> > #/sbin/update-conf --help &> /dev/full ; echo $?
> > 0
> >
> > Some programs do behave as I'd expect, however
> >
> > # /sbin/apk --help> /dev/full ; echo $?
> > 1
> >
> > Something seems amiss.

What exit status the application wants to use is up to the
application, but as a matter of quality of design, it only makes sense
to return a failure exit code if the primary function the command was
supposed to perform did not work. Programs where the primary function
is their output, and the output is intended to be consumable/parsable
by other programs, should definitely exit with nonzero status if they
fail to write the full output, since bad things could happen if a
script acts on their incomplete output thinking it was complete and
correct. But there's really no good argument that failure to print a
usage message needs to be considered an error, and treating failure to
print unimportant status output as an error when the primary function
of the command already succeeded is probably a really bad idea.

In any case, libc has no control over the exit status; it's the
application's choice what to return.

Rich