mailing list of musl libc
* RISC-V port upstreaming status; Alpine Linux port
@ 2019-01-07  2:36 Drew DeVault
From: Drew DeVault @ 2019-01-07  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hiya folks! I'm a big fan of musl and I've been picking up the work to
add RISC-V support while I work on porting Alpine Linux to RISC-V.
I'm basing my work on the last patch we saw on this list, which is also
mirrored here:

https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl

I'm pretty confident in the port after writing 3 additional patches
(some of which address feedback from the previous discussion on this
list) and integrating another I found sitting on GitHub. You can see all
four new patches here:

https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl/pulls

I have a working self-hosted Alpine Linux system based on this port. The
state of the Alpine port is summarized here:

https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6377.html

I tried to get in touch with those who put in the intial footwork for
this port, but haven't been entirely successful so far (and those who
have responded said they were not able to commit any more time to the
effort). I'm happy to volunteer to integrate upstream feedback on the
patchset and take over any additional work necessary to complete the
upstreaming of the port. What are the next steps?

Thanks for everyone's hard work on this project!

--
Drew DeVault

* Re: RISC-V port upstreaming status; Alpine Linux port
@ 2019-01-07  3:37 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2019-01-07  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 09:36:31PM -0500, Drew DeVault wrote:
> Hiya folks! I'm a big fan of musl and I've been picking up the work to
> add RISC-V support while I work on porting Alpine Linux to RISC-V.
> I'm basing my work on the last patch we saw on this list, which is also
> mirrored here:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl
>
> I'm pretty confident in the port after writing 3 additional patches
> (some of which address feedback from the previous discussion on this
> list) and integrating another I found sitting on GitHub. You can see all
> four new patches here:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl/pulls
>
> I have a working self-hosted Alpine Linux system based on this port. The
> state of the Alpine port is summarized here:
>
> https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6377.html
>
> I tried to get in touch with those who put in the intial footwork for
> this port, but haven't been entirely successful so far (and those who
> have responded said they were not able to commit any more time to the
> effort). I'm happy to volunteer to integrate upstream feedback on the
> patchset and take over any additional work necessary to complete the
> upstreaming of the port. What are the next steps?
>
> Thanks for everyone's hard work on this project!

I need to look back over my last review, but from memory these PRs
address the important issues raised. Assuming that's all okay, the
last big thing needed to merge this is documenting credits for
everyone who's worked on it. Do you (or anyone else) have a list of
contributors to post that I (and maybe others) can review and see if
we see any known omissions?

Rich

* Re: RISC-V port upstreaming status; Alpine Linux port
@ 2019-01-08 12:52   ` Drew DeVault
From: Drew DeVault @ 2019-01-08 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 2019-01-06 10:37 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> I need to look back over my last review, but from memory these PRs
> address the important issues raised. Assuming that's all okay, the
> last big thing needed to merge this is documenting credits for
> everyone who's worked on it. Do you (or anyone else) have a list of
> contributors to post that I (and maybe others) can review and see if
> we see any known omissions?

I believe the list is the same as before:

Author: Alex Suykov <alex.suykov@gmail.com>
Author: Aric Belsito <lluixhi@gmail.com>
Author: Michael Clark <mjc@sifive.com>

Plus the following:

Author: Nick Kossifidis <mickflemm@gmail.com>
Author: Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com>

I can prepare a unified patch with these names credited and post it to
the list if you'd like.

* Re: RISC-V port upstreaming status; Alpine Linux port
@ 2019-03-07 16:06 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2019-03-07 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 09:36:31PM -0500, Drew DeVault wrote:
> Hiya folks! I'm a big fan of musl and I've been picking up the work to
> add RISC-V support while I work on porting Alpine Linux to RISC-V.
> I'm basing my work on the last patch we saw on this list, which is also
> mirrored here:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl
>
> I'm pretty confident in the port after writing 3 additional patches
> (some of which address feedback from the previous discussion on this
> list) and integrating another I found sitting on GitHub. You can see all
> four new patches here:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl/pulls
>
> I have a working self-hosted Alpine Linux system based on this port. The
> state of the Alpine port is summarized here:
>
> https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6377.html
>
> I tried to get in touch with those who put in the intial footwork for
> this port, but haven't been entirely successful so far (and those who
> have responded said they were not able to commit any more time to the
> effort). I'm happy to volunteer to integrate upstream feedback on the
> patchset and take over any additional work necessary to complete the
> upstreaming of the port. What are the next steps?
>
> Thanks for everyone's hard work on this project!

I just posted a followup on https://github.com/riscv/riscv-musl/pull/1
-- right now, things are not in a good state for merging due to mess
with the generic fcntl.h. I'm working through the PRs and commits
there to see if things otherwise look okay now.

Rich

* Re: RISC-V port upstreaming status; Alpine Linux port
@ 2019-03-07 16:12   ` Nagakamira
From: Nagakamira @ 2019-03-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

fix riscv32 because every dynamically linked program says: Not found.
Statically linked programs work nice!

@ 2019-03-07 16:13     ` Drew DeVault
From: Drew DeVault @ 2019-03-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 2019-03-08 , Nagakamira wrote:
> fix riscv32 because every dynamically linked program says: Not found.
> Statically linked programs work nice!

I only intend to upstream riscv64 at this time.