mailing list of musl libc
* Feature Request: Support use-vc option in resolv.conf
@ 2019-04-12 11:38 Richard Tweed
From: Richard Tweed @ 2019-04-12 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi all,

I've run into a situation where I need DNS resolution to always be over TCP
rather than UDP due to AWS dropping DNS packets frequently enough to be a
problem. On glibc based environments I can use the use-vc option in the
resolv.conf file.
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/resolv.conf.5.html
On MUSL this doesn't seem to be supported and I would love for this to be
added.

Feel free to CC me on this discussion

Many thanks,
--

Richard Finlay Tweed

--

Thought Machine Group a limited company registered in England & Wales.

Registered number: 11114277.
Registered Office: 5 New Street Square,
London EC4A 3TW
<https://maps.google.com/?q=5+New+Street+Square,+London+EC4A+3TW&entry=gmail&source=g>.

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of
this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender.
If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not
occur in the future.

* Re: Feature Request: Support use-vc option in resolv.conf
@ 2019-04-12 11:53 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2019-04-12 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Tweed; +Cc: musl

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:38:36PM +0100, Richard Tweed wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've run into a situation where I need DNS resolution to always be over TCP
> rather than UDP due to AWS dropping DNS packets frequently enough to be a
> problem. On glibc based environments I can use the use-vc option in the
> resolv.conf file.
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/resolv.conf.5.html
> On MUSL this doesn't seem to be supported and I would love for this to be
> added.
>
> Feel free to CC me on this discussion

DNS over TCP is intentionally not supported in musl because of how bad
the performance is, among other reasons. For cases like yours where
it's needed, you would get much better results by running a caching
dns proxy (using TCP for outbound requests) on localhost and pointing
resolv.conf at that.

(You may also be able to get good results by configuring the retry
interval very low to make up for their servers dropping requests, but
that might not be polite.)

Rich