mailing list of musl libc
* Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 20:13 Truls Becken
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Truls Becken @ 2012-05-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hi,

Compiling musl 0.9.0 with clang 3.0 gives me the following:

src/math/i386/llrint.s:5:2: error: invalid instruction mnemonic 'fistpq'

Changing fistpq back to fistpl in the 3 llrint files makes it compile.
Is this a bug in clang? How should it be resolved?

-Truls

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 21:02 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-05-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 10:13:06PM +0200, Truls Becken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Compiling musl 0.9.0 with clang 3.0 gives me the following:
>
> src/math/i386/llrint.s:5:2: error: invalid instruction mnemonic 'fistpq'
>
> Changing fistpq back to fistpl in the 3 llrint files makes it compile.
> Is this a bug in clang? How should it be resolved?

fistpl writes a 32-bit integer. This function needs a 64-bit integer
result. I'm pretty sure clang is just wrong here, but if there's an
alternate mnemonic for fistpq that works on clang and gcc/gas I'd be
happy to change it.

In the mean time, you can just remove that .s file so the C code gets
used.

Rich

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 21:05 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-05-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Truls Becken <truls.becken@gmail.com> [2012-05-07 22:13:06 +0200]:
> Compiling musl 0.9.0 with clang 3.0 gives me the following:
>
> src/math/i386/llrint.s:5:2: error: invalid instruction mnemonic 'fistpq'
>
> Changing fistpq back to fistpl in the 3 llrint files makes it compile.
> Is this a bug in clang? How should it be resolved?

in llrint you need the 64 bit int store instruction not the 32 bit one

it's either a bug in your as or clang
(although these instruction mnemonics are not documented)
here gnu as recognizes fistpq

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 21:10 ` nwmcsween
From: nwmcsween @ 2012-05-07 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

This is a bug with clang it wasn't implemented until recently, use svn

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2012-05-07 21:12   ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-05-07 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2012-05-07 17:02:51 -0400]:
> alternate mnemonic for fistpq that works on clang and gcc/gas I'd be
> happy to change it.

it seems clang recognizes fistpll instead of fistpq
(which works on gas as well)

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 21:18   ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2012-05-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* nwmcsween@gmail.com <nwmcsween@gmail.com> [2012-05-07 14:10:27 -0700]:
> This is a bug with clang it wasn't implemented until recently, use svn

true, but the ll version works in earlier clangs as well
maybe it's better to use that one if every as recognizes it

http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=151543

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-07 21:24     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-05-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:18:51PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * nwmcsween@gmail.com <nwmcsween@gmail.com> [2012-05-07 14:10:27 -0700]:
> > This is a bug with clang it wasn't implemented until recently, use svn
> >
> true, but the ll version works in earlier clangs as well
> maybe it's better to use that one if every as recognizes it

Indeed, I'll change it.

Rich

* Re: Error compiling with clang
@ 2012-05-08  6:49       ` Truls Becken
From: Truls Becken @ 2012-05-08  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 2012-05-07, at 23:05, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

> it's either a bug in your as or clang

I realized after sending the question that the issue would not be
with clang per se, but rather llvm-as.

On 2012-05-07, at 23:24, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:18:51PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>
>> the ll version works in earlier clangs as well
>> maybe it's better to use that one if every as recognizes it
>
> Indeed, I'll change it.

Thanks to everyone participating for resolving this. Supporting
clang 3.0, as opposed to a future point version, is a good thing.

I can now easily patch musl myself until the next release.

-Truls