mailing list of musl libc
* musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-21 23:39 Hayden Livingston
From: Hayden Livingston @ 2016-03-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Have folks gotten around using musl + libc++ (from the llvm project)?

I'm trying to get a setup where all my dependencies can be moved to
musl and libc++ to build static executables.

I've heard of all sorts of weird interactions when libc++ and
libstdc++ are in the same process. Or is that unfounded?

* Re: musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-22  3:43 ` Lei Zhang
From: Lei Zhang @ 2016-03-22  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> Have folks gotten around using musl + libc++ (from the llvm project)?
>
> I'm trying to get a setup where all my dependencies can be moved to
> musl and libc++ to build static executables.

I've tried to do about the same thing before and failed because libc++
depends on some functions not implemented in musl yet, like strtoll_l()
and __printf_chk() IIRC.

Lei

* Re: musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-22 11:10 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2016-03-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hayden Livingston; +Cc: musl

Hayden Livingston <halivingston@gmail.com> writes:

> Have folks gotten around using musl + libc++ (from the llvm project)?
>
> I'm trying to get a setup where all my dependencies can be moved to
> musl and libc++ to build static executables.
>
> I've heard of all sorts of weird interactions when libc++ and
> libstdc++ are in the same process. Or is that unfounded?

I managed to build a pure LLVM-clang-libc++-musl branch of Void Linux,
without too heavy patching required.

The base-system is completely free of gcc or libgcc.

https://github.com/chneukirchen/xbps-packages/tree/llvm-musl

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-22 11:48   ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2016-03-22 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 22/03/16 04:43, Lei Zhang wrote:

>> Have folks gotten around using musl + libc++ (from the llvm project)?
>>
>> I'm trying to get a setup where all my dependencies can be moved to
>> musl and libc++ to build static executables.
>>

> I've tried to do about the same thing before and failed because libc++
> depends on some functions not implemented in musl yet, like strtoll_l()
> and __printf_chk() IIRC.

Nothing should directly use __printf_chk() how did you get that symbol
there?.

lu

* Re: musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-22 12:05     ` Lei Zhang
From: Lei Zhang @ 2016-03-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:48 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 22/03/16 04:43, Lei Zhang wrote:
>>
>>> Have folks gotten around using musl + libc++ (from the llvm project)?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get a setup where all my dependencies can be moved to
>>> musl and libc++ to build static executables.
>>>

>> I've tried to do about the same thing before and failed because libc++
>> depends on some functions not implemented in musl yet, like strtoll_l()
>> and __printf_chk() IIRC.
>
> Nothing should directly use __printf_chk() how did you get that symbol
> there?.

Well, I manually linked a toy C++ program with musl and libc++, and when I ran the program the dynamic linker complained about not finding a bunch of symbols, including strtoll_l, __printf_chk, etc. Perhaps I mistakenly messed musl with glibc somehow...

Lei

* Re: musl + libc++
@ 2016-03-22 12:28       ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2016-03-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@gmail.com> [2016-03-22 20:05:29 +0800]:

> >> I've tried to do about the same thing before and failed because libc++
> >> depends on some functions not implemented in musl yet, like strtoll_l()
> >> and __printf_chk() IIRC.
> >
> > Nothing should directly use __printf_chk() how did you get that symbol
> > there?.
>
> Well, I manually linked a toy C++ program with musl and libc++, and when I ran the program the dynamic linker complained about not finding a bunch of symbols, including strtoll_l, __printf_chk, etc. Perhaps I mistakenly messed musl with glibc somehow...

you probably used a libc++ built against glibc.

that should work on x86_64 if you provide the missing
symbols (e.g. LD_PRELOAD a dso with a dummy strtoll_l
and __printf_chk).

but it is better to build the entire toolchain for
musl instead of doing musl-gcc like wrapping for
c++ even if you can get the wrapper to work.

e.g. a libstdc++ built against glibc works for simple
things but can be broken for multi-threaded code.