mailing list of musl libc
* Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10  6:22 Rich Felker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-03-10  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

The below are DRAFTS, not actual announcements of a release. I'm
posting them now in search of suggestions for improving them.

Rich

Short release announcement for freecode and anyone already familiar
with musl just needing to know about the new release:

    This release adds support for a soft-float ABI variant on MIPS as
    well as new experimental ports to SuperH and x32 (the new 32-bit
    ABI for x86_64). Two floating point printf bugs have been fixed
    including a rounding error and off-by-one buffer overflow that
    could occur only when printing certain denormal values with
    thousands of places of precision. A second overflow issue was
    fixed in wcsxfrm where a buffer length of zero was misinterpreted.
    Several other minor bug fixes and compatibility improvements have
    also been made.

Blurb for news sites that accept moderate-length submissions:

    The musl libc project has released version 1.0, the result of
    three years of development and testing. Musl is a lightweight,
    fast, simple, MIT-licensed, correctness-oriented alternative to
    the GNU C library (glibc), uClibc, or Android's Bionic. At this
    point musl provides all mandatory C99 and POSIX interfaces (plus a
    lot of widely-used extensions), and well over 5000 packages are
    known to build successfully against musl.

    Several options are available for trying musl. Compiler toolchains
    are available from the musl-cross project, and several new
    musl-based Linux distributions are available (Sabotage and
    Snowflake, among others). Some well-established distributions
    including OpenWRT and Gentoo now have musl-based variants too, and
    others (Aboriginal, Alpine, Bedrock, Dragora) are in the process
    of switching to musl as their default libc.

    [Optional: provide links for all other projects mentioned?]

Or a bit shorter, for sites that don't accept long submissions:

    Musl libc 1.0 is now available. Musl is a light, fast, simple,
    MIT-licensed, correctness-oriented alternative to the GNU C
    library (glibc), uClibc, or Android's Bionic, providing all
    mandatory C99 and POSIX interfaces plus many widely-used
    extensions. Well over 5000 packages are known to build against
    musl. Several musl-based Linux distributions are now available
    including musl-based variants of OpenWRT and Gentoo and several
    new distributions built around musl. Compiler toolchains are also
    available from the musl-cross project.

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10  9:15 ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2014-03-10  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2014-03-10 02:22:43 -0400]:
>     Snowflake, among others). Some well-established distributions
>     including OpenWRT and Gentoo now have musl-based variants too, and

these are work in progress

openwrt and gentoo are not usable with musl yet
as far as i understood

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10  9:33   ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2014-03-10  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 10/03/14 10:15, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2014-03-10 02:22:43 -0400]:
>>     Snowflake, among others). Some well-established distributions
>>     including OpenWRT and Gentoo now have musl-based variants too, and
>
> these are work in progress
>
> openwrt and gentoo are not usable with musl yet
> as far as i understood

We have some stage4 available and a gsoc[1] open.

[1]http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2014/Ideas/Embedded_Gentoo_using_musl

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10 10:23 ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2014-03-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 10 Mar 2014 06:23, "Rich Felker" <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> The below are DRAFTS, not actual announcements of a release. I'm
> posting them now in search of suggestions for improving them.
>
> Rich

They look pretty good some comments inline.

> Short release announcement for freecode and anyone already familiar
> with musl just needing to know about the new release:
>
>     This release adds support for a soft-float ABI variant on MIPS as
>     well as new experimental ports to SuperH and x32 (the new 32-bit
>     ABI for x86_64). Two floating point printf bugs have been fixed
>     including a rounding error and off-by-one buffer overflow that
>     could occur only when printing certain denormal values with
>     thousands of places of precision. A second overflow issue was
>     fixed in wcsxfrm where a buffer length of zero was misinterpreted.
>     Several other minor bug fixes and compatibility improvements have
>     also been made.

Something about what 1.0 means for these users? Or even just the contains
all mandatory POSIX stuff?

> Blurb for news sites that accept moderate-length submissions:
>
>     The musl libc project has released version 1.0, the result of

Add URL here?

>     three years of development and testing. Musl is a lightweight,
>     fast, simple, MIT-licensed, correctness-oriented alternative to

Standards compliant?

>     the GNU C library (glibc), uClibc, or Android's Bionic. At this

Mention klibc too? Might persuade them one day.

>     point musl provides all mandatory C99 and POSIX interfaces (plus a
>     lot of widely-used extensions), and well over 5000 packages are
>     known to build successfully against musl.
>
>     Several options are available for trying musl. Compiler toolchains

Mention that you can just use it out of the box you don't need a new distro.

@ 2014-03-10 10:24 ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2014-03-10 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 10 Mar 2014 06:23, "Rich Felker" <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> The below are DRAFTS, not actual announcements of a release. I'm
> posting them now in search of suggestions for improving them.
>
> Rich

Oh and a mention of static linking might be good too it is a common entry
point to using Musl.

@ 2014-03-10 20:11     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-03-10 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33:31AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 10/03/14 10:15, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > * Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2014-03-10 02:22:43 -0400]:
> >>     Snowflake, among others). Some well-established distributions
> >>     including OpenWRT and Gentoo now have musl-based variants too, and
> >
> > these are work in progress
> >
> > openwrt and gentoo are not usable with musl yet
> > as far as i understood
> >

> We have some stage4 available and a gsoc[1] open.
>
> [1]http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2014/Ideas/Embedded_Gentoo_using_musl

Nice! I tweeted the GSoC opening. Would you like to (or like me to)
send a detailed email on it to the musl list as well? I think the musl
list or IRC channel might be a good place to find a student able to
take it on.

Rich

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10 20:26       ` Luca Barbato
From: Luca Barbato @ 2014-03-10 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 10/03/14 21:11, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33:31AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 10/03/14 10:15, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>>> * Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2014-03-10 02:22:43 -0400]:
>>>
>>> these are work in progress
>>>
>>> openwrt and gentoo are not usable with musl yet
>>> as far as i understood
>>>

>> We have some stage4 available and a gsoc[1] open.
>>
>> [1]http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2014/Ideas/Embedded_Gentoo_using_musl
>
> Nice! I tweeted the GSoC opening. Would you like to (or like me to)
> send a detailed email on it to the musl list as well? I think the musl
> list or IRC channel might be a good place to find a student able to
> take it on.

Would be great! More awareness is always welcome =)

lu

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-10 20:30   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-03-10 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:23:01AM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2014 06:23, "Rich Felker" <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:
> >
> > The below are DRAFTS, not actual announcements of a release. I'm
> > posting them now in search of suggestions for improving them.
> >
> > Rich
>
> They look pretty good some comments inline.

Thanks!

> > Short release announcement for freecode and anyone already familiar
> > with musl just needing to know about the new release:
> >
> >     This release adds support for a soft-float ABI variant on MIPS as
> >     well as new experimental ports to SuperH and x32 (the new 32-bit
> >     ABI for x86_64). Two floating point printf bugs have been fixed
> >     including a rounding error and off-by-one buffer overflow that
> >     could occur only when printing certain denormal values with
> >     thousands of places of precision. A second overflow issue was
> >     fixed in wcsxfrm where a buffer length of zero was misinterpreted.
> >     Several other minor bug fixes and compatibility improvements have
> >     also been made.
>
> Something about what 1.0 means for these users? Or even just the contains
> all mandatory POSIX stuff?

I was going to say it's not really news since we've had this level for
a while now, but actually the addition of the stupid legacy DES
setkey/encrypt functions also brought us up to the level of supporting
all mandatory XSI interfaces. So I think this is announcement-worthy.
Let's add after the first sentence:

    The legacy setkey/encrypt API has been added, completing musl's
    coverage of the POSIX XSI option interfaces.

> > Blurb for news sites that accept moderate-length submissions:
> >
> >     The musl libc project has released version 1.0, the result of
>
> Add URL here?

Yes, of course a link to musl is needed, and everything else probably
needs to be linked too.

> >     three years of development and testing. Musl is a lightweight,
> >     fast, simple, MIT-licensed, correctness-oriented alternative to
>
> Standards compliant?

Really this list is too long already... If it's important to add,
maybe we could make it "standards/correctness-oriented"?

> >     the GNU C library (glibc), uClibc, or Android's Bionic. At this
>
> Mention klibc too? Might persuade them one day.

Probably most people don't even know about klibc. My thought was to
raise musl's ability to replace klibc on the initramfs mailing list
first rather than doing it in release announcements.

> >     point musl provides all mandatory C99 and POSIX interfaces (plus a
> >     lot of widely-used extensions), and well over 5000 packages are
> >     known to build successfully against musl.
> >
> >     Several options are available for trying musl. Compiler toolchains
>
> Mention that you can just use it out of the box you don't need a new distro.

Yes, the compiler toolchains part was supposed to convey that but I
agree it's not clear. Could mention the gcc wrapper too.

Rich

* Re: Drafting 1.0 announcements
@ 2014-03-11  8:12     ` Szabolcs Nagy
From: Szabolcs Nagy @ 2014-03-11  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

* Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> [2014-03-10 16:30:01 -0400]:

>     The legacy setkey/encrypt API has been added, completing musl's
>     coverage of the POSIX XSI option interfaces.

except dbm_* and fmtmsg

maybe we can request them to be obsolete in the next standard