mailing list of musl libc
* stack protector and wrapper
@ 2014-03-19 16:15 Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2014-03-19 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I just noticed that using the musl-gcc wrapper on latest Ubuntu will
not link anything unless you compile with -fno-stack-protector (you
get undefined references to __stack_chk_fail_local)

Any chance of adding this to the wrapper automatically so it doesnt
break for people with stack protector enabled distros?

Justin

* Re: stack protector and wrapper
@ 2014-03-19 21:48 ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-03-19 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 04:15:34PM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> I just noticed that using the musl-gcc wrapper on latest Ubuntu will
> not link anything unless you compile with -fno-stack-protector (you
> get undefined references to __stack_chk_fail_local)

Are you linking apps or libraries? This symbol normally is not needed
except with -shared or -pie. It would be nicer if we could provide it
rather than disabling ssp, but I don't know an easy way to do so.

Rich

* Re: stack protector and wrapper
@ 2014-03-19 23:16   ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2014-03-19 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 04:15:34PM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
>> I just noticed that using the musl-gcc wrapper on latest Ubuntu will
>> not link anything unless you compile with -fno-stack-protector (you
>> get undefined references to __stack_chk_fail_local)
>
> Are you linking apps or libraries? This symbol normally is not needed
> except with -shared or -pie. It would be nicer if we could provide it
> rather than disabling ssp, but I don't know an easy way to do so.

Ah I think it was pie-related, so not really a problem, some unneeded
flags had been set.

Justin