* pdf[e]tex formats
@ 2003-12-17 20:54 Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-12-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

The question is not about ConTeXt, but...

I need to generate non-standard pdf[e]tex format. To do so I prepared
pro.ini file which contains:

    \pdfoutput=1
    \input plain
    \input my-set-of-macros
    \dump
    \endinput

Then I run pdftex with command:

    pdftex -ini -jobname=pro pro.ini

The format has been successfully generated. However, when I use generated
format, the following error message appears:

    Error: pdftex.exe (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file
     ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

I don't have such problem with any standard formats. Could somebody tell me
what is wrong?

Thanks, Pawe/l

* Re: pdf[e]tex formats
@ 2003-12-18  7:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-18  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 21:54 17/12/2003, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>The question is not about ConTeXt, but...
>
>I need to generate non-standard pdf[e]tex format. To do so I prepared
>pro.ini file which contains:
>
>     \pdfoutput=1
>     \input plain
>     \input my-set-of-macros
>     \dump
>     \endinput
>
>Then I run pdftex with command:
>
>     pdftex -ini -jobname=pro pro.ini

maybe adding

   -progname=pdftex

helps; otherwise make a pro.cfg file

Hans

* Re: pdf[e]tex formats
@ 2003-12-18 16:32   ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-12-18 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >The question is not about ConTeXt, but...
> >
> >I need to generate non-standard pdf[e]tex format. To do so I prepared
> >pro.ini file which contains:
> >
> >     \pdfoutput=1
> >     \input plain
> >     \input my-set-of-macros
> >     \dump
> >     \endinput
> >
> >Then I run pdftex with command:
> >
> >     pdftex -ini -jobname=pro pro.ini
>
> maybe adding
>
>    -progname=pdftex
>
> helps; otherwise make a pro.cfg file

Thanks Hans but it doesn't seem to be a solution. After generating pro.fmt
it still complains during compilation about missing pdftex.cfg file.
Everything works ok when I copy pdftex.cfg into working directory, so what
pdftex says looks to be true. But why not-standard format needs config file
in local directory? Meybe I should add some entry to texmf.cnf... Anyone
knows?

Thanks, Pawe/l

* Re: pdf[e]tex formats (solution)
@ 2003-12-18 16:42   ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-12-18 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> maybe adding
>
>    -progname=pdftex
>
> helps; otherwise make a pro.cfg file

Agh! I've just got a solution for non-standard pdftex format usage.

Simple, but not obvious answer is that non-standard format needs
non-standard entries in texmf.cnf. After adding entry

    TEXINPUTS.pro  [set of paths]

for pro.fmt format, everything works allright. I thought that if there isn't
'TEXINPUTS.format_name' variable specified, the default TEXINPUTS variable
content will be used instead...

--
bye, Pawe/l