* [NTG-context] new upload
@ 2023-07-18 20:12 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2023-07-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In todays upload there is a follow up on a new feature that is already
present in the previous upload (but that was not yet advertised):

   context --parallel test1.tex test2.tex test3.tex

   context --parallel --pattern=test*.tex

   context --parallellist myfile.cmd  (filters context processing lines)

   context --parallel test1.tex test2.tex test3.tex --terminal

The --parellel feature will run in parallel, By default upto 8 jobs but
you can specify less or more depending on your hardware but on my
machine this is reasonable.

See workflows-parrallel at the end for more info. That one also mentions
the new --forceinput flag which makes that when these

   context foo-1.tex --mode=m-1 --forceinput=whatever.tex
   context foo-3.tex --mode=m-3 --forceinput=whatever.tex

are run in parallel there is no clash in tuc/pdf. Of course not all
scenarios might work out well. Commandline arguments given are passed on
to the different jobs but it's good enough for the purpose I have in mind.

fwiw: a single pass teststuite run (some 1950 files) goes down from 1350
to 700 seconds but another run with 1200 complex xml documents goes 4
times faster. In the end this is way cheaper than updating a 5 year old
dev machine (a new one would run about twice as fast which would bring
about the same gain).

Hans

ps. Because tex is a memory intense application it doesn't scale with
the number of cores unless one has the latest greatest fast memory as
well as generous cpu caches. There's only so much one can do in the code
base about it.

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-07-18 21:53 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2023-07-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/18/2023 4:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In todays upload there is a follow up on a new feature that is already
> present in the previous upload (but that was not yet advertised):
>
>   context --parallel test1.tex test2.tex test3.tex
>
>   context --parallel --pattern=test*.tex
>
>   context --parallellist myfile.cmd  (filters context processing lines)
>
>   context --parallel test1.tex test2.tex test3.tex --terminal
>
> The --parellel feature will run in parallel, By default upto 8 jobs
> but you can specify less or more depending on your hardware but on my
> machine this is reasonable.
>
> See workflows-parrallel at the end for more info. That one also
> mentions the new --forceinput flag which makes that when these
>
>   context foo-1.tex --mode=m-1 --forceinput=whatever.tex
>   context foo-3.tex --mode=m-3 --forceinput=whatever.tex
>
> are run in parallel there is no clash in tuc/pdf. Of course not all
> scenarios might work out well. Commandline arguments given are passed
> on to the different jobs but it's good enough for the purpose I have
> in mind.
>
> fwiw: a single pass teststuite run (some 1950 files) goes down from
> 1350 to 700 seconds but another run with 1200 complex xml documents
> goes 4 times faster. In the end this is way cheaper than updating a 5
> year old dev machine (a new one would run about twice as fast which
> would bring about the same gain).
>
> Hans
>
> ps. Because tex is a memory intense application it doesn't scale with
> the number of cores unless one has the latest greatest fast memory as
> well as generous cpu caches. There's only so much one can do in the
> code base about it.

Nice. Some of my make files use concurrence (MAKEFLAGS += --jobs=5).
That seems to bring similar benefits. Is this different beyond the syntax?

--
Rik

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-07-19  6:37   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-07-19  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 7/18/2023 11:53 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:

> Nice. Some of my make files use concurrence (MAKEFLAGS += --jobs=5).
> That seems to bring similar benefits. Is this different beyond the syntax?
they are different processes indeed, but the implementation is somewhat
curious as it needs to be portable across operating systems and i don't
want to add dependencies to the engine, so we go for a little less
performance but not that much in practice

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-09-04 17:37 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2023-09-04 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/4/23 19:22, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> new upload with packed itemize fix .. hopefyully no side effects of some
> work in progress (but no crashes in test suite so likely ok)

Hi Hans,

many thanks for the ultrafast fix and upload.

Pablo

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-08-17 13:39         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2023-08-17 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context

On 8/16/23 19:46, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> I Uploaded an update so you can spend the evening wikifying units ...

Hi Hans,

many thanks for the update. As for yesterday, I’m afraid I was required
elsewhere...

> see lowlevel manual for the full list

Many thanks for adding that to the lowlevel manual.

Just in case this might help anyone, I always see what is new in latest
release by comparing the backup from previous latest with current latest
(in my case "meld context .backup-context/date_context/").

I think the best way is to copy from section 6 of the manual.

> \startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
>      x\vrule height 1fa depth 1fd\relax x % \ascender \descender
>      x\vrule height 1sh depth 1sd\relax x % \strutht \strutdp
>      x\vrule height 1fc depth 0pt\relax x % \capheight
> \stopTEXpage
>
> you can also run s-system-units.mkxl and get a unit map

I always forget how to run modules, so compiling this also works:

  \usemodule[system-units]

  \startTEXpage[offset=1ts]
    \showunitsmap
  \stopTEXpage

Now I’m editing the dimensions entry in the wiki.

Many thanks for your work again,

Pablo

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-08-16 17:46       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-08-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-08-16  8:07       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-08-16  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/15/2023 10:54 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 8/15/23 22:16, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> On 8/15/2023 9:27 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I wonder whether we could have (current) frame width and height as unit.
>> we can have
>>
>>     fw fh fo lw (width height offset linewidth)
>>
>> but keep in mind that only properties that are set up have a meaningful
>> value (so with autoheight it is zero)
>
> So 1fw is equal to 2fo + 1lw, isn’t it? (I mean, frame width is left and
> right offset [given that all frames have the same length] plus line width.)

fw is more like width-2offset-2linewidth

> Sorry, this is to be sure I’m getting this right.
we can also have (available)

lh   lineheight
sh   strutheight
sd   strutdepth

and maybe (pick up from font or have extra font dimens)

fa   font ascender
fd   font descender
fc   font capheight

and the css (easy)

ch   width of zero

and then a kind of periodic table of units

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-08-15 20:54     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2023-08-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context

On 8/15/23 22:16, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> I wonder whether we could have (current) frame width and height as unit.
> we can have
>
>    fw fh fo lw (width height offset linewidth)
>
> but keep in mind that only properties that are set up have a meaningful
> value (so with autoheight it is zero)

So 1fw is equal to 2fo + 1lw, isn’t it? (I mean, frame width is left and
right offset [given that all frames have the same length] plus line width.)

Sorry, this is to be sure I’m getting this right.

> and then you realize that you are the one going to wikify it

Fine (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Dimensions could be expanded that
way), but I need to check the new units first.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

* [NTG-context] Re: new upload
@ 2023-08-15 20:16   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context