* [NTG-context] mathalignment; alignment of columns
@ 2023-11-24 22:03 wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
From: wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: wolfgangbackes

Something as elementary as "mathenvironment" can't really be faulty, can it? According to my recent tests, a mathalignment environment does not seem to react (any more) to the values of the "align" option.
The source code hab been rendered correctly a few years ago,

Minimal example 1:

\starttext
\startformula
\startmathalignment[n=2,align={left, right}]
\NC always aligned to the right \NC = u + at, \NR
\NC d \NC = ut + \frac12 at^2. \NR
\stopmathalignment
\stopformula
\stoptext

Despite "align={left, right}", the first column is aligned to the right and the second to the left. This does not change, no matter which values I assign to "align", for example align={middle, middle}.

The align option is also ignored in the case of other column numbers., for example:

\starttext
\startformula
\startmathalignment[n=1,align=left]
\NC This single column should \NR
\NC be left-aligned, \NR
\NC but it is centered. \NR
\stopmathalignment
\stopformula
\stoptext

 What am I missing here? Where is my mistake?

Regards
Wolfgang

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: mathalignment; alignment of columns
@ 2023-11-24 22:06 ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2023-11-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

try

\startmathalignment[n=2,align={1:left,2:right}]

I think this was changed two or three years ago.

/Mikael

@ 2023-11-24 22:15   ` wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
From: wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-24 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: wolfgangbackes

Thank you very much for the quick reply. But I had already tried this syntax before, because I had found it somewhere by chance. But it didn't work either, as you can also verify on the page https://context-on-web.eu/.

@ 2023-11-24 22:22     ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2023-11-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I get the attached (with the standalone, as well as with the version
from texlive 2023). Maybe I misunderstood you.

/Mikael

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 11:16 PM wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Thank you very much for the quick reply. But I had already tried this syntax before, because I had found it somewhere by chance. But it didn't work either, as you can also verify on the page https://context-on-web.eu/.
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14608 bytes --]

@ 2023-11-25  9:29       ` wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
From: wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-25  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: wolfgangbackes

No, it seems to have been my mistake. I must apologize. I have tested the syntax with the preceding column numbers again, and lo and behold: it works. Unfortunately, I can no longer understand what went wrong with my first test of the new syntax. In any case, thank you very much for your support. You have helped me a lot.

@ 2023-11-25 11:22       ` wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
From: wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: wolfgangbackes

By the way, if it's been a few years since the changeover, isn't it surprising that the examples on the contextgarden website still use the old syntax?
Are you aware of an official announcement of the new syntax? After all, this seems to mean that old texts are no longer rendered correctly, at least not after a new PDF generation. This is no small matter.

@ 2023-11-25 15:06         ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2023-11-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

indeed, one can be surprised. The good thing is that you will now
update the wiki, right? :)

/Mikael

PS I think the "official announcement" was made on the list, but I do
not remember the exact date.

@ 2023-11-28 16:48           ` wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context
From: wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-28 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: wolfgangbackes