* [NTG-context] Re: Sorry for once more asking, i am at Work
@ 2024-02-19 12:06 Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-02-19 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

I have done the new download at Work. After compiling is always the same:
Command Line:   context.exe --synctex=-1 "context-test.tex"
Startup Folder: C:\Users\Hermann\Downloads\context-mswin\tex\texmf-context\tex\context\test\mkiv

startup error : no format file given, quitting

I wrote on Wednesday last week. I also did an download of cont- lmt and cont- tmf. Don't know if there is a mistake which is my fault?
I don't know, maybe important:

The log file says:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023) (preloaded format=pdflatex 2024.2.6)  19 FEB 2024 12:41
entering extended mode
restricted \write18 enabled.
%&-line parsing enabled.
**context-test.tex
(./context-test.tex
LaTeX2e <2023-11-01> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2024-01-22>
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \starttext

?
! Emergency stop.
l.1

End of file on the terminal!

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
16 strings out of 474221
403 string characters out of 5750189
1922978 words of memory out of 5000000
22371 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+600000
558069 words of font info for 36 fonts, out of 8000000 for 9000
1141 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
12i,0n,13p,58b,8s stack positions out of 10000i,1000n,20000p,200000b,200000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Uschi

This was before you wrote, that you did an new  upload, but i saw it in the installation. Because there were more files.

Uschi

So after a new update on my Computer at Work, I did once more download the installation. After compiling with context-mswin I got this file

Command Line:   context.exe --synctex=-1 "context-test.tex"
Startup Folder: C:\Users\Hermann\Downloads\context-mswin\tex\texmf-context\tex\context\test\mkiv

startup error : no format file given, quitting

ConTeXt Compilation Report (Pages: 0)

Errors: 0   Warnings: 0   Bad Boxes: 0

Did I something wrong?

Uschi

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Sorry for once more asking, i am at Work
@ 2024-02-19 13:19 ` Gavin via ntg-context
From: Gavin via ntg-context @ 2024-02-19 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Uschi,

The log file is certainly helpful. It tells me two things. First, you have TeX Live 2023 installed. TeX Live 2023 has a good version of ConTeXt. Unless you need specific, newer ConTeXt features, you can use the ConTeXt version in TeX Live that you already have.

Second, when you tried to typeset your file, context-test.tex, your computer attempted to use pdftex rather than ConTeXt. To figure out why it did that, we need to know how you are doing the typesetting. Do you use a command on the command line? Are use using an editor that has a “typeset” button? Something in that part of the process needs to be changed so the typesetting uses ConTeXt rather than pdftex.

Gavin

@ 2024-02-19 13:30 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-02-19 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/19/24 13:06, Ursula Hermann wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have done the new download at Work. After compiling is always the same:
>
> Command Line:   context.exe --synctex=-1 "context-test.tex"
> […]
> startup error : no format file given, quitting

Dear Uschi,

it is really hard to know what is wrong with your installation (other
than it ConTeXt is not able to find your format file).

Sorry if this message is painfully verbose, but I will try not to take
anything for granted (so I don’t overlook anything relevant).

Could you save a new "test-doc.tex" file in your desktop directory
(which would be named "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\test-doc.tex" [including
its full path])?

"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\test-doc.tex" should contain:

  \starttext
  \input zapf
  \stoptext

Please, compile it by simply invoking ("cd %USEPROFILE%\Desktop\" might
be required before):

  context test-doc

If you get the same error message:

> startup error : no format file given, quitting

You might try (to make the format file):

  context --make --all

Then, try compiling again (run "context test-doc").

If you get the same error message, let’s try a brand-new installation
(not removing any existing one).

Get http://lmtx.pragma-ade.nl/install-lmtx/context-mswin.zip (if you use
Windows 32bt) or
http://lmtx.pragma-ade.nl/install-lmtx/context-win64.zip (for Windows
64bit) into "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\".

Unzip the downloaded file to a newly created folder in your desktop
("%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context").

Double-click on "install.bat" that you just uncompressed.

You have to add the new path, so that Windows may find your executables.

Open a new terminal (I guess it is called “command prompt” [or
»Eingabeaufforderung«] in Windows-parlance) and paste (if you have
ConTeXt for 32bit):

  set PATH=%PATH%;%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin

Or this (if you use ConTeXt for 64bit):

  set PATH=%PATH%;%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context\tex\texmf-win64\bin

Then, on the same window (since this only sets paths for the current
session), run:

  mtxrun --generate && cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ && context test-doc.tex

Just in case you wonder, the first command is required for any brand-new
install. The second command sets the desktop as your current directory
(where you should have "test.doc.tex"). And the third command compiles
that source document.

If none of all my previous suggestions works, sorry but I cannot figure
out what might be preventing ConTeXt from finding the format files.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

@ 2024-02-19 13:41   ` Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-02-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Pablo,

I shell try it. Many thanks.

Uschi

@ 2024-02-20 13:45     ` Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-02-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Pablo, Dear List

I have done all you told me yesterday.

What I do not understand is that the Diagnosis in WinEdt 11 says, that everything is ok. Also the PDF-Viewer. Sorry, but I can't copy it, so I tell what I see. What I do not understand, because there is no PDF

But now I tried to do what you have told me and the last line, Pablo in cmd.exe says the same, what I get, if I compile: no format five given, quitting

Uschi

@ 2024-02-20 14:21       ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-02-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/20/24 14:45, Ursula Hermann wrote:
> Dear Pablo, Dear List
>
> I have done all you told me yesterday.
>
> What I do not understand is that the Diagnosis in WinEdt 11 says,
> that everything is ok. Also the PDF-Viewer. Sorry, but I can't copy
> it, so I tell what I see. What I do not understand, because there is
> no PDF

Sorry, dear Uschi, but I’m afraid that I’m on Linux and WinEdt is
totally unknown to me.

That being said, if the messages from your computer are in German, there
is no problem with the language (after all, https://www.deepl.com/ is an
option too).

Reading your log (which I simply ignored and Gavin took care to read it
[totally my fault]), the first line you get is:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023)
(preloaded format=pdflatex 2024.2.6)  19 FEB 2024 12:41

The engine you are using is pdfTeX (from TeX Live 2023). In ConTeXt
terms, this is almost ancient (»uralt«).

ConTeXt MkII used pdfTeX as engine. In MkIV, the engine is LuaTeX. The
latest engine is LuaMetaTeX for what is named either LMTX or MkXL.

The format file is for pdfLaTeX, so ConTeXt cannot really do anything
with it. It is consistent that ConTeXt complains about not finding the
format file.

> But now I tried to do what you have told me and the last line, Pablo
> in cmd.exe says the same, what I get, if I compile: no format five
> given, quitting.

If you still happen to have the brand new installation on your desktop
(and "test-doc.tex" [sorry, but redo if required]), open the command
prompt and do the following:

  cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
  set PATH=%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin

For that window (or session), your system will be able to find only the
path to the latest ConTeXt.

This will prevent TeX Live 2023 messing with ConTeXt (well, if
system-wide paths are not set for TeX Live [you might check that with
"echo %PATH%" after setting the path as explained in the previous command]).

After that, you may run:

  mtxrun --generate && context test-doc.tex

If this works, the installation of TeX Live seems to set paths in a way
that prevent ConTeXt to work.

In that case, you would have to ask about that on the TeX Live list.

I hope it helps now,

Pablo

@ 2024-02-20 18:03         ` Gavin via ntg-context
From: Gavin via ntg-context @ 2024-02-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Uschi,

I think there are two separate issues. The first is possible trouble with the install from the ConTeXt garden. (Maybe this is related to “startup error : no format file given, quitting.”) The second is that you call PdfLaTeX to typeset your document, even though I know that is not what you intend.

Since you have TeX Live, I recommend you get the ConTeXt in TeX Live working first, then decide if you need the latest ConTeXt from the garden.

> On Feb 20, 2024, at 7:21 AM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> The engine you are using is pdfTeX (from TeX Live 2023). In ConTeXt
> terms, this is almost ancient (»uralt«).

Just to clarify, TeX Live 2023 has a perfectly good, rather up-to-date version of ConTeXt. I’m using it to typeset books and papers with all sorts of MetaFun craziness. However, if I attempt to typeset one of these ConTeXt documents using PdfLaTeX, I get exactly the same error and log file that you get.

I don’t know how you are calling PdfLaTeX to typeset your document, context-test.tex, but that is what you are doing. Until you get that straightened out, it won’t matter what version of ConTeXt you have installed.

Gavin

@ 2024-02-21  9:23           ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-02-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gavin via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/20/24 19:03, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
> […]
> I don’t know how you are calling PdfLaTeX to typeset your document,
> context-test.tex, but that is what you are doing.

Hi Uschi and Gavin,

I will try to go the same way you propose, Gavin. Otherwise, Uschi may
find it hard to follow totally independent suggestions.

Uschi, if you are compiling your ConTeXt sources using WinEdt, your
issue might be the wrong button (or the wrong keystroke combination).

You might be invoking pdflatex directly, or maybe a button or keystroke
combination is labelled ConTeXt and it may really be invoking pdflatex.

In that case, you have to check WinEdt to see which command is run when
you start the compilation process (which command you really invoke).

Another way to see which ConTeXt binary you invoke would be to type in
the command prompt "context --version" (with no path specified) and
"where context".

But this is independent from the issue that you get pdflatex when you
intend context.

I hope it helps now,

Pablo

@ 2024-02-21  9:27             ` Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-02-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Pablo and Gavin,

Many many many Thanks. Ok so I took pdflatex away now, and could compile selected.

Uschi

@ 2024-02-14 13:16 Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-02-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)