* Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 11:21 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-07-03 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

the subject line basically covers my problem: I have a large (tikz)
figure, and I want to have it by itself on a page, centered both
horizontally and vertically.  How can I achieve this?  I already know
that \setuppagenumber[state=stop] is a good idea, and \midaligned{...}
gives me horizontal centering; what about vertical?  The problem is
that the figure is larger than the text area (and this doesn't bother
me, it's a game board and it may extend almost to the paper border),
so \vfill doesn't work (and \vss doesn't, either).

TIA

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 11:30 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.07.2012 um 13:21 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Hello,
>
> the subject line basically covers my problem: I have a large (tikz)
> figure, and I want to have it by itself on a page, centered both
> horizontally and vertically.  How can I achieve this?  I already know
> that \setuppagenumber[state=stop] is a good idea, and \midaligned{...}
> gives me horizontal centering; what about vertical?  The problem is
> that the figure is larger than the text area (and this doesn't bother
> me, it's a game board and it may extend almost to the paper border),
> so \vfill doesn't work (and \vss doesn't, either).

\starttext
%\noheaderandfooterlines
\centerbox{\externalfigure[cow]}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 12:18   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-07-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-07-03, o godz. 13:30:22
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Am 03.07.2012 um 13:21 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > the subject line basically covers my problem: I have a large (tikz)
> > figure, and I want to have it by itself on a page, centered both
> > horizontally and vertically.  How can I achieve this?  I already
> > know that \setuppagenumber[state=stop] is a good idea, and
> > \midaligned{...} gives me horizontal centering; what about
> > vertical?  The problem is that the figure is larger than the text
> > area (and this doesn't bother me, it's a game board and it may
> > extend almost to the paper border), so \vfill doesn't work (and
> > \vss doesn't, either).
>
> \starttext
> %\noheaderandfooterlines
> \centerbox{\externalfigure[cow]}
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks a lot, it works!

--

@ 2012-07-03 13:10   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-07-03 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:30:22 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> \centerbox{\externalfigure[cow]}

Wow! \centerbox{}

Alan

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 13:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-7-2012 15:10, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:30:22 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> \centerbox{\externalfigure[cow]}
>
> Wow! \centerbox{}

It's a rather (old) low level boxing macro ...

\start
     \showboxes
     \centerbox width 10cm height 3cm {Alan is surprised}
\stop

.. simulating the regular tex syntax for box dimensions

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-07-03 15:27       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-07-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:48:43 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> It's a rather (old) low level boxing macro ...
>
> \start
>      \showboxes
>      \centerbox width 10cm height 3cm {Alan is surprised}
> \stop

My TeX culture remains, alas, always limited (even if I have the
TeXbook on my office bookshelf, indeed \centerbox does not appear in
plain TeX). Nothing in the ConTeXt manual, either. Of course, a
leisurely browsing of the source code would reveal many such treasures!

On the garden:

Context 2005.05.25
\centerbox now accepts \par in it;s argument

Alan

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 15:54         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-07-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> plain TeX). Nothing in the ConTeXt manual, either. Of course, a
> leisurely browsing of the source code would reveal many such treasures!

supp-box.mkiv is a good place to start a leisurely browsing of the source
code. It contains many useful box manipuation macros.

Aditya

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 16:04         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-07-03 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:48:43 +0200
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> It's a rather (old) low level boxing macro ...
>>
>> \start
>>      \showboxes
>>      \centerbox width 10cm height 3cm {Alan is surprised}
>> \stop
>
> My TeX culture remains, alas, always limited (even if I have the
> TeXbook on my office bookshelf, indeed \centerbox does not appear in
> plain TeX). Nothing in the ConTeXt manual, either. Of course, a
> leisurely browsing of the source code would reveal many such treasures!
There is also \vcenter

\starttext
xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\hsize=5cm\vcenter to 3cm{Alan is
surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\vcenter}\par
xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is
surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\centerbox}\par
xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\vcenter{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is
surprised}}}gxxxxxxxxx\type{\centerbox+\vcenter}\par
\stoptext

(\vcenter is a TeX primitive)

--
luigi

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 16:08           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.07.2012 um 18:04 schrieb luigi scarso:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:48:43 +0200
> > Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> It's a rather (old) low level boxing macro ...
> >>
> >> \start
> >>      \showboxes
> >>      \centerbox width 10cm height 3cm {Alan is surprised}
> >> \stop
> >
> > My TeX culture remains, alas, always limited (even if I have the
> > TeXbook on my office bookshelf, indeed \centerbox does not appear in
> > plain TeX). Nothing in the ConTeXt manual, either. Of course, a
> > leisurely browsing of the source code would reveal many such treasures!
> There is also \vcenter
>
> \starttext
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\hsize=5cm\vcenter to 3cm{Alan is surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\vcenter}\par
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\centerbox}\par
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\vcenter{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is surprised}}}gxxxxxxxxx\type{\centerbox+\vcenter}\par
> \stoptext
>
> (\vcenter is a TeX primitive)

ConTeXt redefines \vcenter because the primitive can only be used in math mode.

Wolfgang

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 16:19             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-07-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.07.2012 um 18:04 schrieb luigi scarso:
>

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:48:43 +0200
> > Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> It's a rather (old) low level boxing macro ...
> >>
> >> \start
> >>      \showboxes
> >>      \centerbox width 10cm height 3cm {Alan is surprised}
> >> \stop
> >
> > My TeX culture remains, alas, always limited (even if I have the
> > TeXbook on my office bookshelf, indeed \centerbox does not appear in
> > plain TeX). Nothing in the ConTeXt manual, either. Of course, a
> > leisurely browsing of the source code would reveal many such treasures!
> There is also \vcenter
>
> \starttext
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\hsize=5cm\vcenter to 3cm{Alan is
> surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\vcenter}\par
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is
> surprised}}gxxxxxxxxx \type{\centerbox}\par
> xxxxxxxxxxg\ruledvbox{\vcenter{\centerbox width5cm height3cm{Alan is
> surprised}}}gxxxxxxxxx\type{\centerbox+\vcenter}\par
> \stoptext
>
> (\vcenter is a TeX primitive)
>

> ConTeXt redefines \vcenter because the primitive can only be used in math
> mode.

yes I know ... and  original TeX primitive is still available as
\normalvcenter
(kind of easter egg for Alan..)

--
luigi

* Re: Centering a figure vertically on a page
@ 2012-07-03 16:27               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)