* Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-03  7:51 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-12-03  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello all,

I'd to explain some effects in the .pdf from the code bellow. It was copied from co-font.pdf, pg. 19-20; just "Abc" was added to try something.

---
\enableregime[cp1250]

\starttext
   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$

   \definetypeface[whow][mm][math,boldmath][modern][default]%[encoding=texnansi]
                                                            []

   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$

   \usetypescriptfile[typeface]

   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
\stoptext
---

Things I cannot do or understand:

- The "alpha" symbol is not printed as soon as it's used in \bf or \bfmath mode (lines 2-4 in each paragraph). Why? How to make it appear?

- - The same effect may be observed in the co-fonts.pdf at the pg. 19 at the lowest line - there is bold font working, but "alpha" is missing as well.

- - - Unfortunately, there is no fully working example in the document with bold math and "alpha" together.

- In my example, normal (thin) "Abc" is shown a bit slanted (as should be in math mode). Once it is used in bold math mode, it's no more slanted but "vertical" as normal text. Is there a way how to keep the "slantedness" even in math bold mode? (This is e.g. often used to mark vectors.)

Kind regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

[-- Attachment #2: MathBold.mkiv --]

\enableregime[cp1250]

\starttext
  $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
  $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$

  \definetypeface[whow][mm][math,boldmath][modern][default]%[encoding=texnansi]
                                                           []

  $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
  $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$

  \usetypescriptfile[typeface]

  $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
  $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
  $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: MathBold.pdf --]

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-03 15:30 ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-12-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

** Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. [2010-12-03 08:51:41 +0100]:

> Hello all,
>
> I'd to explain some effects in the .pdf from the code bellow. It was copied from co-font.pdf, pg. 19-20; just "Abc" was added to try something.
>
> ---
> \enableregime[cp1250]
>
> \starttext
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
>   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>
>   \definetypeface[whow][mm][math,boldmath][modern][default]%[encoding=texnansi]
>                                                            []
>
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
>   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>
>   \usetypescriptfile[typeface]
>
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $\bf Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
>   $Abc\sqrt{625}=\bf5\alpha$
>   $\bfmath Abc\sqrt{625}=5\alpha$
> \stoptext
> ---
>
> Things I cannot do or understand:
>
> - The "alpha" symbol is not printed as soon as it's used in \bf or \bfmath mode (lines 2-4 in each paragraph). Why? How to make it appear?
>
> - - The same effect may be observed in the co-fonts.pdf at the pg. 19 at the lowest line - there is bold font working, but "alpha" is missing as well.
>
> - - - Unfortunately, there is no fully working example in the document with bold math and "alpha" together.
>
> - In my example, normal (thin) "Abc" is shown a bit slanted (as should be in math mode). Once it is used in bold math mode, it's no more slanted but "vertical" as normal text. Is there a way how to keep the "slantedness" even in math bold mode? (This is e.g. often used to mark vectors.)

IMHO (I'm not expert in context) this depends on used fonts. See for
example follwoing:
<example file="ex1.tex">
\setupbodyfont[cambria]

\starttext

This is a test.

$a=\alpha$

$\bf a=\alpha$

$\bi a=\alpha$

\stoptext
</example>

BTW, I not sure if I use "correct" way to switch fonts in math mode (in
LaTeX commands to switch fonts are different in text and math mode, and
I have big LaTex background, so for me this way is unusual :).

P.S. My example works with mkiv but not with mkii. The last uses
"default" fonts that don't have bold variant for greek letters (I could
be wrong here, for LaTeX I have to redefine commands for greek letters
because there is appropriate font but greek letters are defined in a
way so nobody could use bold variant by default).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Avoid reality at all costs.

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-03 16:00   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-12-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks for the example. I can see that:

- In another font(s) (at least in cambria in your example) bold Greek chars are OK.

- \bf in math mode causes chars to become "vertical", i.e. when I want to get slanted chars, I have to call \it or \sl or \bi explicitly. OK, I thought that the "slantedness" is kept by default when switching to bold in math mode, but no problem to switch to slanted/italics font manually.

- But I still have no idea how to "restore" Greek chars when using the *default* bold math font (i.e. when not using \setupbodyfont[<another-font>]. Or do I have to \setup???font[???] explicitly when I want to use Greek bold chars as well?

> IMHO (I'm not expert in context) this depends on used fonts. See for
> example follwoing:
> <example file="ex1.tex">
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>
> \starttext
> This is a test.
> $a=\alpha$
> $\bf a=\alpha$
> $\bi a=\alpha$
> \stoptext
> </example>
>
> BTW, I not sure if I use "correct" way to switch fonts in math mode (in
> LaTeX commands to switch fonts are different in text and math mode, and
> I have big LaTex background, so for me this way is unusual :).

NB: I used to work with LaTeX as well - I'm still time-to-time solving "basic things" (like that above) in ConTeXt.

Best regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]
Bezová 1658
147 14 Praha 4

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-04  8:55     ` Hans Hagen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-04  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-12-2010 5:00, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the example. I can see that:
>
> - In another font(s) (at least in cambria in your example) bold Greek
> chars are OK.
>
> - \bf in math mode causes chars to become "vertical", i.e. when I want
> to get slanted chars, I have to call \it or \sl or \bi explicitly. OK, I
> thought that the "slantedness" is kept by default when switching to bold
> in math mode, but no problem to switch to slanted/italics font manually.

In fact in math these are not font switches, but switches to a different
alphabet.  In traditional tex that normally is afont switch so one gets
the other bold or whatever shapes for free, given that they are in that
font (so it's a side effect of the way math alphabets are implemented),
but not so in open type math.

> - But I still have no idea how to "restore" Greek chars when using the
> *default* bold math font (i.e. when not using
> \setupbodyfont[<another-font>]. Or do I have to \setup???font[???]
> explicitly when I want to use Greek bold chars as well?

there is no default math font in mkiv: one uses regular math or bold
math (given that there are two font(set)s available which is seldom the
case) and within them gets bold or heavy alphabets (plus a few chars)

>> IMHO (I'm not expert in context) this depends on used fonts. See for
>> example follwoing:
>> <example file="ex1.tex">
>> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>>
>> \starttext
>> This is a test.
>> $a=\alpha$
>> $\bf a=\alpha$
>> $\bi a=\alpha$
>> \stoptext
>> </example>
>>
>> BTW, I not sure if I use "correct" way to switch fonts in math mode (in
>> LaTeX commands to switch fonts are different in text and math mode, and
>> I have big LaTex background, so for me this way is unusual :).

best try to convert to the unicode math approach: bold a-z is different
unicode slots than a-z and in context the \bf command does that
transformation on ascii a-z (you can also key in the official unicode
chars); the benefit is that you can cut and paste the bold characters in
pdf files i.e. you retain that property; a bold b is not a bold one in
typographic sense but a special symbol that happens to use a bold
rendering; in for instance a section title, one can have all math bold,
and then this regular bold character will become real bold

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-05 13:58       ` Procházka Lukáš
       [not found]       ` <op.vm8ptgm00g5ws1@lk-2008-nbk>
From: Procházka Lukáš @ 2010-12-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

thanks for the explanation -

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:55:25 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 3-12-2010 5:00, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>>
>> to get slanted chars, I have to call \it or \sl or \bi explicitly. OK, I
>
> In fact in math these are not font switches, but switches to a different
> alphabet.  In traditional tex that normally is a font switch so one gets
> the other bold or whatever shapes for free, given that they are in that
> font (so it's a side effect of the way math alphabets are implemented),
> but not so in open type math.
>
> there is no default math font in mkiv: one uses regular math or bold
> math (given that there are two font(set)s available which is seldom the
> case) and within them gets bold or heavy alphabets (plus a few chars)

- So does it mean that the Vladimir's "cambria case" is exactly the seldom case when regular and bold math are available, both defining Greek chars like \alpha as well?

>>> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> This is a test.
>>> $a=\alpha$
>>> $\bf a=\alpha$
>>> $\bi a=\alpha$
>>> \stoptext

Please, could you give more examples of normal and bold math fonts "of the same kin" (to be used for normal and bold math), both having Greek letters as well?

- Vladimir showed "cambria". Unfortunately, his solution changes the entire document bodyfont (i.e. non-math font as well).

- What is the relationship to AMS fonts (http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/amsfonts)? Or how to make them accessible in Ctx document? How to make them work?

- - On the site it's written: "... What is AMSFonts? ... *Subscript sizes of bold math italic and bold Greek letters* ... Because these fonts are standard TeX fonts, they may be used with any standard TeX system ... "

- - Wouldn't this be exactly what I'm looking for?

Maybe \setupformulas[<What to come here?>] should do this? And what \definetypeface[<What arguments?>] should precede?

> best try to convert to the unicode math approach: bold a-z is different
> unicode slots than a-z and in context the \bf command does that
> transformation on ascii a-z (you can also key in the official unicode
> chars); the benefit is that you can cut and paste the bold characters in
> pdf files i.e. you retain that property; a bold b is not a bold one in
> typographic sense but a special symbol that happens to use a bold
> rendering; in for instance a section title, one can have all math bold,
> and then this regular bold character will become real bold
>
> Hans

I guess this approach won't be useful in my situation. I need to generate some math by Lua. There is a function that should generate a context formulas with mixed case and/or Greek letters, e.g.:

function t(var)
    context("$" .. var .. "\\alpha = {\\bf " .. -- Or something else instead of "bf"
            var "\\alpha}")
end

t("Abc")

So the variable name a priori cannot have information whether or not to be printed with regular or bold math - this is up to the function 't()'.

---

Now I'm trying to understand "This Way" (11/2003, mag-0005.pdf) where the mixed case is investigated. Also the "co-fonts.pdf"; but it seems to me that this document is a bit out-of-date and "mfonts.pdf" should be used instead. And also Mojca's presentation from Brejlov, the "some-thoughts-about-typescripts.pdf".

To be honest, I have a bit mess with fonts: I'm trying to deduce the relationship between:

	"font script" (text/script/scriptscript?),

	"font typescript" (serif, sans-serif, math, mono, other?),

	"font size [marking]" (xx/x/?/a/b/c/d/e; ?/xsmall/small/?/?...?, 5pt, 6pt... 40pt; ... at 6pt, ... at 20pt...; sixpoint,eightpoint,tenpoint... used in some commands),

	"font weight" (light? semilight? normal/semibold/bold/extrabold?),

	"font family",

	"font typeface"

- When I look at the Figure 1 "The current bodyfont environment" in mfonts.pdf, I see:

\showbodyfontenvironment  %  [lbr]

[lucida]  [11.0pt]
text   script scriptscript x      xx     small  big    interlinespace
20.7pt 14.4pt 12pt         17.3pt 14.4pt 17.3pt 20.7pt not set
17.3pt 12.1pt 8.6pt        13.8pt 10.3pt 13.8pt 20.7pt not set

So what's the relationship between "text", "script", "scriptscript" (and?) "x", "xx", "small" and "big"?

Why size for the "script" on the first line is the same for "xx", "text" as for "big" and "x" the same as "small"?

Why doesn't work the same on the next lines as well?

- The abbreviations for [typefaces?]:

	rm = ? RoMan? (means serif) (but also wrong "Regular Math" comes to place)
	ss = Sans Serif
	tt = TeleType (but means Mono as well)
	mm = Math what? MatheMatics? (used for typesetting inside $...$)

- When I call \definetypeface[whow][rm][serif][modern][computer-modern][encoding=ec] ("mfonts.pdf", pg. 10), why the arguments are "rm" and "serif", although they mark (?) the same [script/"shape"]?

- - Why once "modern" and once "computer-modern"?

- When I call ("mag-0005.pdf", pg. 4):

	\definetypeface  [mainface]  [mm]  [bfmath]  [lucida]  [default]
	\definetypeface  [boldmath]  [mm]  [bfmath]  [lucida]  [default]

- - Why arguments are "mm" and "bfmath"? Is there also "math" available instead of "bfmath"?

- - Why 5 args are provided, whereas 6 args were provided in the example before?

- Statement ("mag-0005.pdf", pg. 4):

	\formula {1 \beta \Gamma = \bfm 1 \beta \Gamma x’ z}

- - Where the "\bfm" switch comes from? Is this the effect exactly of "\definetypeface[...][mm][BFMATH][...]? Or would the "\bfm" work anyway (in the manner that [Con]TeX[t] wouldn't generate any error message, but the result would be wrong?

- - Is the "\bfm" the right switch to switch to bold math, providing that an appropriate bold math font have been defined? So the "\bf" wouldn't work (as it uses alphabet switching = another mechanism)?

- What would happen if I called [senseless]:

	\definetypeface[DUMMY][rm][mono][modern][cambria][encoding=ec]

- - i.e. (probably senseless) "rm" vs. "mono" and "modern" vs. "cambria"?

Sorry for so long mail - maybe font stuff will be clearer to me in the future when I success to "invent" more relationship among all it.

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-05 17:34         ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-05 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 5, 2010, at 14:58 , Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the explanation -
>
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:55:25 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 3-12-2010 5:00, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>>>
>>> to get slanted chars, I have to call \it or \sl or \bi explicitly. OK, I
>>
>> In fact in math these are not font switches, but switches to a different
>> alphabet.  In traditional tex that normally is a font switch so one gets
>> the other bold or whatever shapes for free, given that they are in that
>> font (so it's a side effect of the way math alphabets are implemented),
>> but not so in open type math.
>>
>> there is no default math font in mkiv: one uses regular math or bold
>> math (given that there are two font(set)s available which is seldom the
>> case) and within them gets bold or heavy alphabets (plus a few chars)
>
> - So does it mean that the Vladimir's "cambria case" is exactly the seldom case when regular and bold math are available, both defining Greek chars like \alpha as well?

> Please, could you give more examples of normal and bold math fonts "of the same kin" (to be used for normal and bold math), both having Greek letters as well?

Hi,

this does not work with cambria math:

$\bf a=\alpha$
$\bi a=\alpha$

You should get the unicode math set of cambria math this way:

bold math: $\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
bold italic math: $\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$

I wonder if there are shorthand macros for accessing the unicode math slots for script, bold, sans, etc.

Really strange things happen though (see attachment):

% tested with all three:
%\setupbodyfont[cambria]
%\setupbodyfont[asana]
\setupbodyfont[xits]

\startTEXpage[offset=1ex]

This fails:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$

However, this is OK (unicode inserted directly): $𝐚𝒂$

{\tfx
This is small but the math remains unscaled and displays questionmarks:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

{\tfa
This is big and math font is also big and displays correctly:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

{\tfa\tfx
This is normal (\type{\tfa\tfx}!) but the math remains big and displays ok:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

\stopTEXpage

> - Vladimir showed "cambria". Unfortunately, his solution changes the entire document bodyfont (i.e. non-math font as well).

You could of cause create your own font (e.g. pagella with cambria math):

\starttypescript [pagella]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

Florian

[-- Attachment #2: unicode-math-xits.pdf --]

* Re: Math and bold font: \definetypeface
@ 2010-12-05 19:27           ` Procházka Lukáš
From: Procházka Lukáš @ 2010-12-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:34:34 +0100, Florian Wobbe <Florian.Wobbe@awi.de> wrote:

>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]

- I don't know what the meaning of individual parameters is:

\definetypeface
   [\typescriptone] % What actually the \typescriptone does? What are other options?
   [mm]             % OK, [re]define the 'mm' member of the font definition bundle (= typeface)
   [math]           % Why this when I just specified math to be [re]defined by 'mm' one line above?
   [cambria]        % OK, use 'cambria' font for math
   [default]        % OK, keep defaults

Would you kindly explain?

Friendly regards,

Lukas

* Re: Math and bold font: \definetypeface
@ 2010-12-05 21:48             ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 5, 2010, at 20:27 , Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> Hello -
>
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:34:34 +0100, Florian Wobbe <Florian.Wobbe@awi.de> wrote:
>
>>  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]
>
> - I don't know what the meaning of individual parameters is:
>
> \definetypeface
>  [\typescriptone] % What actually the \typescriptone does? What are other options?

just a placeholder, which comes in handy when you want to define multiple entries at once:

\starttypescript [palatino,pagella]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [\typescriptone] [default]
\stoptypescript

is equivalent to:

\starttypescript [palatino]
  \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [pagella]
  \definetypeface [pagella] [rm] [serif] [pagella] [default]
\stoptypescript

see texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv for lots of examples (BTW: this is the place, where cambria is defined).

>  [mm]             % OK, [re]define the 'mm' member of the font definition bundle (= typeface)
>  [math]           % Why this when I just specified math to be [re]defined by 'mm' one line above?

takes the fontsynonym from \starttypescript [math] [cambria] and not from \starttypescript [cambria].

again have a look at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TypeScripts and texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv. the examples are probably better than an explanation.

Florian

* Re: Math and bold font
@ 2010-12-06 10:11       ` Vladimir Lomov
       [not found]       ` <op.vm8ptgm00g5ws1@lk-2008-nbk>
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-12-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

** Hans Hagen [2010-12-04 09:55:25 +0100]:
[...]
>>>\setupbodyfont[cambria]
>>>
>>>\starttext
>>>This is a test.
>>>$a=\alpha$
>>>$\bf a=\alpha$
>>>$\bi a=\alpha$
>>>\stoptext
>>>
>>>BTW, I not sure if I use "correct" way to switch fonts in math mode (in
>>>LaTeX commands to switch fonts are different in text and math mode, and
>>>I have big LaTex background, so for me this way is unusual :).
>
> best try to convert to the unicode math approach: bold a-z is
> different unicode slots than a-z and in context the \bf command does
> that transformation on ascii a-z (you can also key in the official
> unicode chars); the benefit is that you can cut and paste the bold
> characters in pdf files i.e. you retain that property; a bold b is
> not a bold one in typographic sense but a special symbol that
> happens to use a bold rendering; in for instance a section title,
> one can have all math bold, and then this regular bold character
> will become real bold
But this is not universal solution.

Suppose I want to use serif bold italic font for vectors and sans bold
italic for tensors (this is recommendation of NIST, see sp811.pdf on
nist.gov). Of course I could enter vectors and tensors as symbols from
appropriate unicode slots but what if my publisher says me that vectors
should be in sans bold and tensors in serif bold italic? So I define
commands, like \vect and \tensor to markup what symbols are verctors and
what are tensors.

Therefore I consider context (as well as LaTeX) as sort of markup
(mix of procedural and descriptive markups).

Returning to original question: I don't check but AFAIU one can define
your own typescript and choose what fonts are used in math mode (mm?).
If current typescript (modern?, latin modern?) doesn't have bold greek
letters for math one should define new typescript and use for mm (math)
font which have bold greek letters.

P.S. I could be wrong with terms.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
innovate, v.:
	To annoy people.

* Re: Math and bold font
       [not found]       ` <op.vm8ptgm00g5ws1@lk-2008-nbk>
@ 2010-12-06 14:27         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-12-2010 1:18, Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> - So does it mean that the Vladimir's "cambria case" is exactly the
> seldom case when regular and bold math are available, both defining
> Greek chars like \alpha as well?

afaik cambria has no bold font (although it has the unicode bold
alphabet etc)

> Please, could you give more examples of normal and bold math fonts "of
> the same kin" (to be used for normal and bold math), both having Greek
> letters as well?

iwona and antykwa have four variants of boldness

> - What is the relationship to AMS fonts
> (http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/amsfonts)? Or how to make
> them accessible in Ctx document? How to make them work?

no relationship ... they are used in some of the math setups (like latin
modern) but are of no use for (say) cambria

> - - On the site it's written: "... What is AMSFonts? ... *Subscript
> sizes of bold math italic and bold Greek letters* ... Because these
> fonts are standard TeX fonts, they may be used with any standard TeX
> system ... "

bold math italic is an alphabet and cambria has it

the virtual variants don't seem to have them so I've added fallbacks for
them, so in the upcoming beta all these should show up

\starttext
     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-light]  $ \mathgreekitalic {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-light]  $ \mathgreekupright {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par

     \switchtobodyfont[iwona]        $ \mathgreekitalic {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
     \switchtobodyfont[iwona]        $ \mathgreekupright {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par

     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-medium] $ \mathgreekitalic {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-medium] $ \mathgreekupright {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par

     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-heavy]  $ \mathgreekitalic {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
     \switchtobodyfont[iwona-heavy]  $ \mathgreekupright {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par

     \switchtobodyfont[cambria]      $ \mathgreekitalic {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
     \switchtobodyfont[cambria]      $ \mathgreekupright {\alpha} {\bf
\alpha} {\bi \alpha} {\char"1D736} $ \par
\stoptext

(needs checking by aditya)

> - - Wouldn't this be exactly what I'm looking for?

I don't know

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-12-06 14:37               ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-12-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:48:47 +0100, Florian Wobbe <Florian.Wobbe@awi.de> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2010, at 20:27 , Procházka Lukáš wrote:
>
>>>  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]
>
> just a placeholder, which comes in handy when you want to define multiple entries at once:

OK, I understand.

> \starttypescript [palatino,pagella]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [\typescriptone] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> is equivalent to:
>
> \starttypescript [palatino]
>   \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> \stoptypescript
> \starttypescript [pagella]
>   \definetypeface [pagella] [rm] [serif] [pagella] [default]
> \stoptypescript

Nice, I see.

> see texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv for lots of examples (BTW: this is the place, where cambria is defined).
>
>>  [mm]             % OK, [re]define the 'mm' member of the font definition bundle (= typeface)
>>  [math]           % Why this when I just specified math to be [re]defined by 'mm' one line above?
>
> takes the fontsynonym from \starttypescript [math] [cambria] and not from \starttypescript [cambria].

OK.

> again have a look at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TypeScripts and texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv. the examples are probably better than an explanation.
>
> Florian

To be honest, this is Greek to me (and I don't mean Greek letters ;-) ). I can understand or estimate sometimes what a piece of code should do, but not altogether.

E.g. \starttypescript uses various number of args - I can see
	"\starttypescript [fallback]" as well as
	"\starttypescript [serif] [modern,latin-modern,computer-modern,default]" and
	"\starttypescript [serif] [modern,latin-modern,computer-modern,default] [name]",
sometimes coupled with "default" (keyword?) or "name" (placeholder?).

- So this all doesn't bring much light to my effort.

--

To get back to my problem:

The default Ctx bodyfont (CMR) is all right for me, I don't need to change it (but it's possible, if it should simplify something).

I just need to redefine font(s) to be used for math and boldmath and which would allow to use Greek normal and bold chars. (I hope I understand well that "boldmath" is a bit special problem that requires "nonstandard" approach).

It's no problem to use any switch inside the math mode which would typeset bold letters (including Greek ones) - it may be \bf, \bfm, \msym, \mathsym, \sy ... - whatever.

It's also necessary NOT to type bold chars as special unicode symbols.

If I understand well, the default Ctx font - CMR - is used for typesetting [bold]math as well. But the problem is that it fails when typesetting bold Greek letters.

So that's why I'm thinking about AMS font(s), which should be contain normal and bold letters, including Greek ones, symbols...

So the question is - how to get AMS fonts work in the Ctx document - or maybe: how to replace the default math font by that of AMS.

What code - \typescript, \define???font??? - to use?

Just to make the code "$Abc \alpha = {\aSwitchToBoldMath Abc \alpha} = or \aCommandToTypeBoldMath{Abc \alpha}$ work.

NB: I'm still beginner with Ctx. I used to typeset [bold]math in LaTeX and some things are done another way there --

Thank again for your patience.

Lukas

--

@ 2010-12-06 16:55         ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-12-06 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:11:34 +0100, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose I want to use serif bold italic font for vectors and sans bold
> italic for tensors (this is recommendation of NIST, see sp811.pdf on
> nist.gov). Of course I could enter vectors and tensors as symbols from
> appropriate unicode slots but what if my publisher says me that vectors
> should be in sans bold and tensors in serif bold italic?

Agree.

> So I define
> commands, like \vect and \tensor to markup what symbols are vectors and
> what are tensors.

Yes.

> Returning to original question: I don't check but AFAIU one can define
> your own typescript and choose what fonts to be used in math mode (mm?).
> If current typescript (modern?, latin modern?) doesn't have bold greek
> letters for math one should define new typescript and use for mm (math)
> font which have bold greek letters.
>
> ---
> WBR, Vladimir Lomov

Yes, that's what it'd gladly do; but my vision is too smoky.

Lukas

--

@ 2010-12-08 10:24                 ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-08 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To get back to my problem:
>
> The default Ctx bodyfont (CMR) is all right for me, I don't need to change it (but it's possible, if it should simplify something).

If you don't need CMR, than simply don't use. It does not have greek boldmath/upright anyway.

> If I understand well, the default Ctx font - CMR - is used for typesetting [bold]math as well. But the problem is that it fails when typesetting bold Greek letters.

Right.

> What code - \typescript, \define???font??? - to use?
>
> Just to make the code "$Abc \alpha = {\aSwitchToBoldMath Abc \alpha} = or \aCommandToTypeBoldMath{Abc \alpha}$ work.

Minimal example that uses Tex Gyre Pagella and Heros for serif and sans, and either Cambria, Asana, Neo Euler, or XITS for math (comment in your choice and make sure that context finds the fonts):

\starttypescript [myface]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [pagella] [default]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [heros] [default]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern] [default]
  %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [cambria][default]
  %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [asana][default]
  %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [euler][default]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [xits][default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[myface]

\starttext
  Pagella \par
  {\ss Heros} \par
  {\tt Modern Typewriter} \par
  $Abc \beta = {{\bi Abc} \bf Abc \beta \mathgreekupright \beta}$
\stoptext

Note that Neo Euler does not have italics and there are no fallbacks for bold/greek italic. So ${\bi A} \bf \beta$ will be displayed as $A \beta$.

Best wishes,
Florian

* Re: Math and bold font: \definetypeface
@ 2010-12-10 13:25                   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-12-10 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:24:36 +0100, Florian Wobbe <Florian.Wobbe@awi.de> wrote:

> Minimal example that uses Tex Gyre Pagella and Heros for serif and sans, and either Cambria, Asana, Neo Euler, or XITS for math (comment in your choice and make sure that context finds the fonts):
>
> \starttypescript [myface]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [pagella] [default]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [heros] [default]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern] [default]
>   %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [cambria][default]
>   %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [asana][default]
>   %\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [euler][default]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [xits][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \setupbodyfont[myface]
>
> \starttext
>   Pagella \par
>   {\ss Heros} \par
>   {\tt Modern Typewriter} \par
>   $Abc \beta = {{\bi Abc} \bf Abc \beta \mathgreekupright \beta}$
> \stoptext
>
> Note that Neo Euler does not have italics and there are no fallbacks for bold/greek italic. So ${\bi A} \bf \beta$ will be displayed as $A \beta$.
>
> Best wishes,
> Florian

- thanks for the solution and thanks to all for explanations and again for patience.

Best regards,

Lukas