* [NTG-context] new version
@ 2023-06-22 12:36 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new lmtx version (so the next series will be luametatex
2.10.10). Although Mikael and I are still in improving math mode, we
side tracked a bit to the par builder (better breaking of math etc). In
the end some experiments there turned features.

(1) We already had a more granular par builder but that was never really
enabled. From now on you can do that with

\setupalign[granular]

After quite some tests and careful inspection of outcome we think that
the results look better, which is why if could become a default. The
main impact is a bit more even spacing between neighbouring lines,
because we operate in five instead of three ranges of primary badness now.

(2) As side effect of (3) initialization of expansion (as well as
compression and protrusion) is delayed till it kicks in. This means that

\definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality]

has become cheaper and might as well become the default.

(3) The biggest new feature (already known to some of you as we chat
about it) is that in addition to the (upto three) passes that create a
paragraph we can now have extra ones. This is discussed in
lowlevel-lines.pdf (preliminary). The second pass is the most important
one (it uses hyphenation but not yet emergency stretch) and, based on
criteria that can be set, between the second and third pass multiple
attempts can be triggered.

So, for instance one can start careful (pass one), less careful (pass
two), test all kind of variants (pass 2 subpasses) etc. These subpasses
can have different tolerances, demerits, expansion, etc and quit once
soem criteria are met.

The problem here is: what makes good defaults. Therefore we have some
tests definitions added (see spac-pas-tests) that we hope users will
test on realistic documents.

In case one wonders: performance is quite okay and you won't notice much
difference on a reasonable run. Also, when you normally use expansion
for a whole document, you can now let it kick in more selectively. As a
result a run can be faster and the resulting pdf file can be smaller.
This feature kind of assumes (1) above.

(4) There's also a new feature for optional content: you can have marked
sections in a paragraph that can be enabled or disabled in attempts to
get better output. Of course one can wonder it this is useful but it was
one of the older todo's. When it is considered usefull it can evolve.

(The lowlevel-lines manual is work in progress and in a few weeks we
will pick up on that.)

Hans

* Re: [NTG-context] new version
@ 2023-06-23  9:54 ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context @ 2023-06-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Should then \setupalign[granular] be used before defining font features?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 9:37 AM Hans Hagen via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new lmtx version (so the next series will be luametatex
> 2.10.10). Although Mikael and I are still in improving math mode, we
> side tracked a bit to the par builder (better breaking of math etc). In
> the end some experiments there turned features.
>
> (1) We already had a more granular par builder but that was never really
> enabled. From now on you can do that with
>
> \setupalign[granular]
>
> After quite some tests and careful inspection of outcome we think that
> the results look better, which is why if could become a default. The
> main impact is a bit more even spacing between neighbouring lines,
> because we operate in five instead of three ranges of primary badness now.
>
> (2) As side effect of (3) initialization of expansion (as well as
> compression and protrusion) is delayed till it kicks in. This means that
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality]
>
> has become cheaper and might as well become the default.
>
> (3) The biggest new feature (already known to some of you as we chat
> about it) is that in addition to the (upto three) passes that create a
> paragraph we can now have extra ones. This is discussed in
> lowlevel-lines.pdf (preliminary). The second pass is the most important
> one (it uses hyphenation but not yet emergency stretch) and, based on
> criteria that can be set, between the second and third pass multiple
> attempts can be triggered.
>
> So, for instance one can start careful (pass one), less careful (pass
> two), test all kind of variants (pass 2 subpasses) etc. These subpasses
> can have different tolerances, demerits, expansion, etc and quit once
> soem criteria are met.
>
> The problem here is: what makes good defaults. Therefore we have some
> tests definitions added (see spac-pas-tests) that we hope users will
> test on realistic documents.
>
> In case one wonders: performance is quite okay and you won't notice much
> difference on a reasonable run. Also, when you normally use expansion
> for a whole document, you can now let it kick in more selectively. As a
> result a run can be faster and the resulting pdf file can be smaller.
> This feature kind of assumes (1) above.
>
> (4) There's also a new feature for optional content: you can have marked
> sections in a paragraph that can be enabled or disabled in attempts to
> get better output. Of course one can wonder it this is useful but it was
> one of the older todo's. When it is considered usefull it can evolve.
>
> (The lowlevel-lines manual is work in progress and in a few weeks we
> will pick up on that.)
>
> Hans

Todas as coisas fatigam o corpo, salvo a música, que não fatiga nem o
corpo nem seus membros, por ser descanso da alma, primavera do
coração, distração do aflito, entretenimento do solitário, e viático
do viajante.

Kunnâsh al-Hâ'ik (Cancioneiro de al-Hâ'ik)

* Re: [NTG-context] new version
@ 2023-06-23 10:58   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-23 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/23/2023 11:54 AM, Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context wrote:
> Should then \setupalign[granular] be used before defining font features?
No, it's an independent feature of the linebreak mechanism. You can run
this and see how it kicks in

\starttext

\definecolor[ttest][a=1,t=.5]
\definecolor[rtest][a=1,t=.5,r=1]

\dostepwiserecurse{80}{120}{1}{
     \startTEXpage[offset=1ts]
         \startcombination[1*3]
             {\startoverlay
                 {\vtop{\showmakeup[space]\hsize #1mm\ttest
         \samplefile{tufte}}}
                 {\vtop{\showmakeup[space]\hsize #1mm\rtest
\setupalign[granular]\samplefile{tufte}}}
             \stopoverlay} {}
             {\vtop{\showmakeup[space]\hsize #1mm\ttest
     \samplefile{tufte}}} {}
             {\vtop{\showmakeup[space]\hsize #1mm\rtest
\setupalign[granular]\samplefile{tufte}}} {}
         \stopcombination
     \stopTEXpage
}

\stoptext