* Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18  9:13 luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Module_Namespaces

Can I register lscarso[a-zA-Z]* ?
--
luigi

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18  9:26 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-11-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-11-18 <10:13:07>, luigi scarso wrote:
> Nice
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Module_Namespaces
>
> Can I register lscarso[a-zA-Z]* ?
Maybe we should consider an auction; in the future this could get
as busy as trading domain names.

Philipp

> --
> luigi

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 18:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-11-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.11.2010 um 10:13 schrieb luigi scarso:

> Nice
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Module_Namespaces
>
> Can I register lscarso[a-zA-Z]* ?

Why? The obvious method is to use the same name for the namespace as you use for your module name or the command names, e.g. the fancybreak module has the commands \definefancybreak, \setupfancybreak and the namespace „fancybreak“ and Adityas visualcounter module can use the namespace „visualcounter“ (there is no need to use capitals).

Wolfgang

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 18:33   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 18.11.2010 um 10:13 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> Nice
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Module_Namespaces
>>
>> Can I register lscarso[a-zA-Z]* ?
>
> Why? The obvious method is to use the same name for the namespace as you use for your module name or the command names, e.g. the fancybreak module has the commands \definefancybreak, \setupfancybreak and the namespace „fancybreak“ and Adityas visualcounter module can use the namespace „visualcounter“ (there is no need to use capitals).

I just want to register my namespace(s) to be sure to avoid conflicts
not only for modules but also for lua code

Think for example to something like
document.lscarso = document.lscarso or {}
function document.lscarso.lua_pixGetPixel(pixs,x,y)
    local scratch = 0
    local res = ''
    scratch = leptonica.uti_getref_l_uint32()
    if (leptonica.pixGetPixel(pixs,x,y,scratch) == 0) then
       res =  leptonica.uti_valref_l_uint32(scratch)
    else
     print("! Error on ",x,y)
     res = ''
    end
    return res
end

with a registered namespace (or, better, a suffix) I will be sure to
avoid conflicts forever

--
luigi

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:03   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-11-18 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> (there is no need to use capitals).

Thanks. Old habits die hard.

Aditya

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:19     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-18 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> (there is no need to use capitals).
>
> Thanks. Old habits die hard.
Camel case is not bad at all --- it's a matter of points of view

--
luigi

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-18 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-11-2010 10:19, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Aditya Mahajan<adityam@umich.edu>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> (there is no need to use capitals).
>>
>> Thanks. Old habits die hard.
> Camel case is not bad at all --- it's a matter of points of view

best use lowercase systematically

then users can use uppercase or a mix and not clash with built in names

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:48         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-11-18 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 18-11-2010 10:19, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> Thanks. Old habits die hard.
>> Camel case is not bad at all --- it's a matter of points of view
>
> best use lowercase systematically
>
> then users can use uppercase or a mix and not clash with built in names

As a module writer, it is not always clear whether you should follow the
conventions for a user (use upper or mixed case to avoid clash) or a
developer (use lowercase systematically).

Aditya

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:52           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-18 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-11-2010 10:48, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 18-11-2010 10:19, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> Camel case is not bad at all --- it's a matter of points of view
>>
>> best use lowercase systematically
>>
>> then users can use uppercase or a mix and not clash with built in names
>
> As a module writer, it is not always clear whether you should follow the
> conventions for a user (use upper or mixed case to avoid clash) or a
> developer (use lowercase systematically).

sure, but then you can use prefixes:

\@@fancybreakhelper

and so

(there was a time that one would save on characters in order not to
overflow string space but nowadays it's no problem)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-18 21:59           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-18 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 18-11-2010 10:19, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> Camel case is not bad at all --- it's a matter of points of view
>>
>> best use lowercase systematically
>>
>> then users can use uppercase or a mix and not clash with built in names
>
> As a module writer, it is not always clear whether you should follow the
> conventions for a user (use upper or mixed case to avoid clash) or a
> developer (use lowercase systematically).
Because really there is no difference between "user" and "developer"
That what I think:
lower case name are for files in base
All others should use a distinct  "namespace" (ie lscarso , amahajan
etc or Filters )

--
luigi

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-29 18:17     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-11-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.11.2010 um 19:33 schrieb luigi scarso:

> I just want to register my namespace(s) to be sure to avoid conflicts
> not only for modules but also for lua code

Good idea and it’s not a problem to reserve „lscarso“ for you but i ask
myself which of these tables (luat-ini.lua) are available for users:

userdata      = userdata      or { } -- might be used
thirddata     = thirddata     or { } -- might be used
moduledata    = moduledata    or { } -- might be used
documentdata  = documentdata  or { } -- might be used
parametersets = parametersets or { } -- experimental

document      = document      or { }

Wolfgang

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-11-29 18:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-11-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.11.2010 um 19:33 schrieb luigi scarso:

> I just want to register my namespace(s) to be sure to avoid conflicts
> not only for modules but also for lua code

Good idea and it’s not a problem to reserve „lscarso“ for you but i ask
myself which of these tables are available for users:

@ 2010-11-29 18:52       ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-11-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

On 2010-11-29 <19:17:00>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 18.11.2010 um 19:33 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
> > I just want to register my namespace(s) to be sure to avoid conflicts
> > not only for modules but also for lua code
>
> Good idea and it’s not a problem to reserve „lscarso“ for you but i ask
> myself which of these tables (luat-ini.lua) are available for users:
>
> userdata      = userdata      or { } -- might be used
> thirddata     = thirddata     or { } -- might be used
> moduledata    = moduledata    or { } -- might be used
> documentdata  = documentdata  or { } -- might be used
> parametersets = parametersets or { } -- experimental
>
> document      = document      or { }

If I may add to this question: I am using “job.variables” as kind
of base for my private use area (not for modules, though) -- bad
habit or valid alternative?

Thanks, Philipp

@ 2010-11-29 19:10         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-29 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Philipp Gesang
<pgesang@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> If I may add to this question: I am using “job.variables” as kind
> of base for my private use area (not for modules, though) -- bad
> habit or valid alternative?
Without a valid namespace there is always the risk of conflicts.

--
luigi

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-12-06 16:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-06 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-11-2010 7:17, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 18.11.2010 um 19:33 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> I just want to register my namespace(s) to be sure to avoid conflicts
>> not only for modules but also for lua code
>
> Good idea and it’s not a problem to reserve „lscarso“ for you but i ask
> myself which of these tables (luat-ini.lua) are available for users:
>
> userdata      = userdata      or { } -- might be used
> thirddata     = thirddata     or { } -- might be used
> moduledata    = moduledata    or { } -- might be used
> documentdata  = documentdata  or { } -- might be used
> parametersets = parametersets or { } -- experimental
>
> document      = document      or { }

userdata      = userdata      or { } -- for users (e.g. functions etc)
thirddata     = thirddata     or { } -- only for third party modules
moduledata    = moduledata    or { } -- only for development team
documentdata  = documentdata  or { } -- for users (e.g. raw data)
parametersets = parametersets or { } -- experimental for team

document      = document      or { } -- only for context itself

thirddata.lscarso = thirddata.lscarso  or { }
thirddata.lscarso.whatever = { }

function thirddata.lscarso.whatever.glasses()
   return "still at bachotek"
end

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-12-06 16:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-11-2010 7:52, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> If I may add to this question: I am using “job.variables” as kind
> of base for my private use area (not for modules, though) -- bad
> habit or valid alternative?

bad habit .. use documentdata.pg or so

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Module Namespaces
@ 2010-12-08 13:17           ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-12-08 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

On 2010-12-06 <17:50:15>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 29-11-2010 7:52, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>
> >If I may add to this question: I am using “job.variables” as kind
> >of base for my private use area (not for modules, though) -- bad
> >habit or valid alternative?
>
> bad habit .. use documentdata.pg or so

you once[1] recommended “job.variables.tobesaved” for situations
where something has to be stored for successive runs.

Is the “more robus user space” for this that you mentioned
already implemented?

Regards, Philipp

[1] http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100427.214703.0d3775c4.en.html