* Re: font problems
@ 2021-11-25  5:28   ` jdh via ntg-context
From: jdh via ntg-context @ 2021-11-25  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,
   thanks you for the solution to my font problem.  I appreciate it.

I'm trying to understand the definefont command you used and it seems that the arguments 'sa 1' in the macro is a size indication somewhat similar to 'at 10pt' but uses a relative size parameter as opposed to the absolute pt value.   That the numeric argument after 'sa'  is a multiple of the current font size.

Thank you
---------

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 11/26/2021 12:59 PM, jdh via ntg-context wrote:
> > Here's my MWE:
> >         Objective is to typeset a Chancery font text in the upper lefthand side of a page, and
> >         then do the main body in some normal font.  Then at the very last print a sign off in
> >         Chancery.  For some reason I can't get both to print out as Chancery. Only one or the
> >         other, but not both.
> >
> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> > \definefontfamily [mwetest] [sans] [Liberation Sans]
> > \setupbodyfont [mwe,ss,12pt]
> > \definelayer[mwe][repeat=yes, preset=lefttop, hoffset=.125in,
> > voffset=.125in]
> > \setlayer[mwe]   {  \switchtobodyfont[chancery,8pt] \hskip 5mm Chancery Font Here  }
> > \setupbackgrounds[page][background=mwe]
> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> > \starttext
> > Normal font text goes here. \blank[4*big]
> >   { \switchtobodyfont[chancery] This should be Chancery here to.
> > But isn't. }
> > \blank[2*big]Note that if I comment out the \type{setlayer[mwe]} in
> > the source file, then the above will print in Chancery.
> > \stoptext
> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> >
> > I'd like to have the layers in Chancery font and then one last text string in the body in Chancery font.  But I can't get them both to be Chancery.  How can that be done?
> chancery is not really a full bodyfont
>
> \definefont[MyChancery][texgyrechorus-mediumitalic*default sa 1]
> \definefont[MyChanceryBold][texgyrechorus-mediumitalic*default,boldened-20
> sa 1]
>
> {\MyChancery     test}
> {\MyChanceryBold test}

* font problems
@ 2021-11-26 11:59 jdh via ntg-context
From: jdh via ntg-context @ 2021-11-26 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: jdh

@ 2021-11-26 12:30 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-11-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/26/2021 12:59 PM, jdh via ntg-context wrote:

> Here's my MWE:
>         Objective is to typeset a Chancery font text in the upper lefthand side of a page, and
>         then do the main body in some normal font.  Then at the very last print a sign off in
>         Chancery.  For some reason I can't get both to print out as Chancery. Only one or the
>         other, but not both.
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \definefontfamily [mwetest] [sans] [Liberation Sans]
> \setupbodyfont [mwe,ss,12pt]
>
> \definelayer[mwe][repeat=yes, preset=lefttop, hoffset=.125in, voffset=.125in]
> \setlayer[mwe]   {  \switchtobodyfont[chancery,8pt] \hskip 5mm Chancery Font Here  }
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=mwe]
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \starttext
>
> Normal font text goes here. \blank[4*big]
>
>   { \switchtobodyfont[chancery] This should be Chancery here to.  But isn't. }
>
> \blank[2*big]Note that if I comment out the \type{setlayer[mwe]} in the source file, then the above will print in Chancery.
>
> \stoptext
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>

> I'd like to have the layers in Chancery font and then one last text string in the body in Chancery font.  But I can't get them both to be Chancery.  How can that be done?
chancery is not really a full bodyfont

\definefont[MyChancery][texgyrechorus-mediumitalic*default sa 1]
\definefont[MyChanceryBold][texgyrechorus-mediumitalic*default,boldened-20
sa 1]

{\MyChancery     test}
{\MyChanceryBold test}

* Re: Font problems.
@ 2015-05-02 18:05 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-05-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/02/2015 04:19 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On the same source file Texlive 2004, context

Hi John,

sorry, but I wonder whether you meant TeX Live 2014.

> (mkiv) can find files that a more recent stand
> alone version of context can't.

Font files, I guess.

> I need to set something somewhere so that the stand alone version can
> find files in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
>
> I call the stand alone version from a script
> called "Context" in /usr/local/bin:
> --------------------------------
> . /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex
> context $1
> -------------------------------------
> /home/safe is my home directory. Stand alone
> context is in /home/safe/context. It is dated Jan
> 27 2015.

Add after the last line in /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex:

  export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts/OTF//""

I would personally add:

  export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts//""

So you will be able to use other fonts than OpenType.

Then reload the font cache by running:

  . /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex
  mtxrun --script fonts --reload

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Font problems.
@ 2015-05-02 14:19 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2015-05-02 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the same source file Texlive 2004  context
(mkiv) can find files that a more recent stand
alone version of context can't. I need to set
something somewhere so that the stand alone
version can find files in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.

I call the stand alone version from a script
called "Context" in /usr/local/bin:
--------------------------------
. /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex
context $1
-------------------------------------
/home/safe is my home directory. Stand alone
context is in /home/safe/context. It is dated Jan
27 2015.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
Updated PDF e-book: "Create Book Covers with
Scribus 1.4.5" coming soon at
http://www.booklocker.com/!

* Re: Font problems
@ 2013-05-31 14:32 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-05-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context, H. Özoguz

Salaam Huseyin,

If you have not done so already, you can also try the Quran fonts listed
at the bottom of this page:

http://al-quran.info/page/about

Scheherazade you are already familiar with. I have not done much testing
of the others but they are all OT I believe.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Font problems
@ 2013-05-31 14:19 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-05-31 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salaam, Huseyn,

On Fri, 31 May 2013 07:24:20 -0600, H. Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de> wrote:

> With the font file "maddina.ttf" I have the same problems. But this font
> is clearly not broken, you can download it here:
> http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/quran-madina.htm (or see attachment
> of this mail).

> But is the problem here?

It's not an opentype font. It's not even a unicode font; it uses an ASCII
encoding. Just type in 'abcdefg' in the preview on the website and you get
arabic letters. The font was made in 1994 and depends on whatever software
it was made for at the time.

Best wishes
Idris
--

@ 2013-05-31 13:24 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-05-31 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Khaled, very sad, it is very nice. You can find it here in action:
http://quranflash.com/quranflash.html (But not as typed font, only
pictures I think).

Ok, doesn't matter, if impossible, then impossible. Next question:

With the font file "maddina.ttf" I have the same problems. But this font
is clearly not broken, you can download it here:
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/quran-madina.htm (or see attachment
of this mail).

But is the problem here?

Huseyin

[-- Attachment #2: quranmadina_arab.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 37075 bytes --]

* Re: Font problems
@ 2013-05-31 12:22 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-05-31 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:52:22PM +0200, "H. Özoguz" wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I cant run the font "ramnaclq-webfont.ttf" (see attachment) in Context.

That is a broken, a so called “ASCII hack” font that (ab)uses ASCII code
points for Arabic. In short it is a broken font and will not work.

Regards,
Khaled

* Font problems
@ 2013-05-31 11:52 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-05-31 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi there,

I cant run the font "ramnaclq-webfont.ttf" (see attachment) in Context.

After the command "mtxrun --script fonts --reload" and "mtxrun --script
font --list --all ramna" I get:

> ramnaclassiqueregular ramnaclassique c:/windows/fonts/ramnaclq-webfont.ttf

So the font is installed, correct?

But it can not be used in Context, test this:

\definefont[amiri][file:ramnaclq-webfont.ttf*arabic at 17 pt]
\define[1]\Arab{\setupalign[r2l]\amiri#1}
\starttext
\Arab{
نَسْتَعِينُ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ
}
\stoptext

Then the text in the pdf is not there. What is the problem here?

Thanks!
Huseyin

[-- Attachment #2: ramnaclq-webfont.ttf --]

* Re: Font problems
       [not found] ` <5.1.0.14.1.20010821101947.0341a320@server-1>
@ 2001-08-21 17:48   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cs, ntg-context, miktex

Hans,

Some progress, still not there. Here is the file I am compiling. Call it
junk.tex.

%output=pdf
\starttext
\usetypescript [all] [lucida] [texnansi]
My name is David!
\stoptext

As per installation directions, I found \miktex\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg.
It looked like this before I started messing with it.

pk_resolution 600
output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits
3
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm
horigin 1 true in
vorigin
1 true in
map psfonts.map

I added the following as per instructions in minstall.pdf.

pk_resolution 600
output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits
3
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm
horigin 1 true in
vorigin
1 true in
map psfonts.map
map +context.map

Now, the above file (junk.tex) compiles, but fonts are completely igonored
and the resulting pdf file reports (Document Properties->Fonts) that cmr12
is used. If I change the last line of pdftex.cfg to:

map context.map

then compiling junk.tex gives me a pdf file that reports (Document
Properties->Fonts) that the orginal font is F1, type is Type 3, encoding is
Custom, Actual font is F1, and type is Type 3. So, that is the good news.
Of course, that's not Lucida and the output looks terrible. So that's the
bad news.

As another test, with map context.map in pdftex.cfg, the following file

%output=pdf
\starttext
\setupbodyfont[lbr]
My name is David!
\stoptext

still gives this error:

cannot find LucidaBright source file.
hbf2gf -q -g LucidaBright 300
MAKETFM: don't know how to make LucidaBright

! Font \*12ptrmtf*=LucidaBright at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not f
ound.
\lastfontname ...idaBright at \scaledfont

\donoparsefontspec ...sname \lastfontname
                                          \relax \the \everyfont \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tclass #1\fontsize *}
                                          \doresetrelativefontsize \f...
\fontstrategy ...ame #2#3#4#5#6\endcsname
                                          \let \fontstrategy \gobbles...
<inserted text> ...talternative \fontsize
                                          \fontstrategy \autofontsize...
\synchronizefont ... \the \fontstrategies
                                          \ifskipfontcharacteristics ...
l.4 \setupbodyfont[lbr]

?

As another interesting test, with either

pk_resolution 600
output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits
3
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm
horigin 1 true in
vorigin
1 true in
map psfonts.map

or

pk_resolution 600
output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits
3
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm
horigin 1 true in
vorigin
1 true in
map psfonts.map
map +context.map

the file (call it junk2.tex)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lucidabr}
\begin{document}
Hello, cruel world!
\end{document}

compiles just fine. The pdf file reports (Document Properties->Fonts)
Original font as LucidaBright, type as Type 1, Encoding as custom, Actual
font as Embedded subset, and type as Type 1. However, if I use

pk_resolution 600
output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits
3
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm
horigin 1 true in
vorigin
1 true in
map psfonts.map
map context.map

then the resulting pdf file reports Original font as F6, type as Type 3,
Encoding as Custom, Actual font F16, and type as Type 3, just as above with
my context file junk.tex.

I am using Miktex 2 with Update 1.