* ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-20 21:00 Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context
From: Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context @ 2023-01-20 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users; +Cc: Albert Krewinkel

Hello,

a new version of pandoc, the universal document converter, was
released two days ago; pandoc 3 comes with new ConTeXt-related
features on which we've spend a good bit of time:

- *Syntax highlighting*: Pandoc makes use of the syntax
  definitions and styles created by the KDE project to highlight
  source code. This already worked with HTML, LaTeX, and formats
  like docx, and is now also supported for ConTeXt.

- *Inline code*: older versions of pandoc had some weird behavior
  wrt inline code in ConTeXt, switching between `\type` and
  `\mono`, which made it difficult to customize the output. This
  has been fixed.

- *Tagging-focused output*: Calling pandoc with
  `--to=context+tagging` creates markup that is geared towards the
  creation of tagged PDFs. This can be combined with `-V pdfa=3a`
  to produce accessible PDFs from various input sources.

- *Unlisted/unnumbered headings*: Headings with class "unnumbered"
  are not numbered; those with class "unlisted" get omitted from
  the ToC.

- *Figures*: We have improved support for figures considerably,
  and now also support subfigures. This is currently most
  noticeable when converting from HTML to ConTeXt.

Downloads and full changelog:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/3.0

I'm grateful for any and all feedback, including tips on how to
improve pandoc further.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-20 23:48 ` Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context
From: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context @ 2023-01-20 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Albert,

Fantastic news. Thanks to Pandoc and completions in editors I can create
great looking documents at the speed of light...
Since you've asked for ideas or suggestions here are a few:
** Create a Pandoc markdown directive that woulc allow for document
includes - in the style and spirit of Context components.
** Add the ability to place a pandoc.yaml file in the folder so it can be
picked by Pandoc to get options for this folder and contained documents,
** Use LUA to run something like pipes inside Pandoc itself - LUA could be
the format for the 'pandoc' file I've mentioned,
** Something Context and accessibility related:
Screen readers allow to navigate quickly by element type, for example:
heading / list / form elements. Headings are very useful to quickly move
around the document but htere is one corner case. Context splits the
heading number and heading itself into separate parts.
When doing this quick navigation the user hears for example: 1.2 or 3.4 and
need to reach for the arrow keys to scroll to the next logical line to read
the very heading.
I don't know if it is possible at the tagging level to combine the number
and the heading tible togehter wiht a space in between, os htey are not
stringed together in an unnatural way. Taggs are a bit like a parallel
universe.
 Please drop a line if you would like to digg further...

All the best,
Pawel

* Re: ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-22 15:11 ` Saša Janiška via ntg-context
From: Saša Janiška via ntg-context @ 2023-01-22 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Saša Janiška

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 22:00:31 +0100
Albert Krewinkel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hello,

> a new version of pandoc, the universal document converter, was
> released two days ago; pandoc 3 comes with new ConTeXt-related
> features on which we've spend a good bit of time:

I'll probably start to work on a book soon and would like to typeset it using
ConTeXt, but wonder which markup to use as a source in a Markdown (via Pandoc)
--> ConTeXt or possibly org-mode (via Pandoc) --> ConTeXt?

Anyone has some serious experience with org-mode (via ox-context) --> ConTeXt?

In the past I was told that ConTeXt suppor in Pandoc is not so great, so wonder
how is it today?

Sincerely,
Saša

--
A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification,
who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of

* Re: ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-23  7:22   ` juh via ntg-context
From: juh via ntg-context @ 2023-01-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: juh

Am Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 04:11:09PM +0100 schrieb Saša Janiška via ntg-context:
> I'll probably start to work on a book soon and would like to typeset it using
> ConTeXt, but wonder which markup to use as a source in a Markdown (via Pandoc)
> --> ConTeXt or possibly org-mode (via Pandoc) --> ConTeXt?
>
> Anyone has some serious experience with org-mode (via ox-context) --> ConTeXt?

At work at my cooperative Hostsharing eG we use the way Markdown -->
Pandoc --> ConTeXt and we are quite happy with the results. Sadly I
don't have time to document it in full up to now.

For my own writing I was using Markdown --> Pandoc --> ConTeXt for quite
a while and was happy with it, too. Recently I switched to Org-Mode as I
started to use org-roam to organize my Zettelkasten and want to make use
of the org-mode TODO workflow states to organize the writing process. I
use org-pandoc to export from org-mode/emacs to context. I can also use
ox-context but I have difficulties to customize it to my needs.

The main problem is that both org-pandoc and ox-context are developed by
very few people. My lisp knowledge is very limited so I have to stick
with what is there.

Having a solid pipe from the first ideas to the print pdf would be nice.
For now I would say that the exports from org-mode are the weak element
in the chain. But if they fail I can export to Markdown and do the last
steps via Markdown --> Pandoc.

That said I have to confess that I do more sophisticated layout things
like flyers in pure ConTeXt as it is much faster.

juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-23  8:24     ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-01-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 08:30, juh via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
wrote:

> For my own writing I was using Markdown --> Pandoc --> ConTeXt for quite
> a while and was happy with it, too. Recently I switched to Org-Mode as I
> started to use org-roam to organize my Zettelkasten and want to make use
> of the org-mode TODO workflow states to organize the writing process. I
> use org-pandoc to export from org-mode/emacs to context. I can also use
> ox-context but I have difficulties to customize it to my needs.
>
> The main problem is that both org-pandoc and ox-context are developed by
> very few people. My lisp knowledge is very limited so I have to stick
> with what is there.
>
> Having a solid pipe from the first ideas to the print pdf would be nice.
> For now I would say that the exports from org-mode are the weak element
> in the chain. But if they fail I can export to Markdown and do the last
> steps via Markdown --> Pandoc.
>
> That said I have to confess that I do more sophisticated layout things
> like flyers in pure ConTeXt as it is much faster.

It would be very nice to have a paper / wiki / whatever ... about
your workflow Markdown --> Pandoc --> ConTeXt using Org-Mode.
In these cases, having "a working workflow" to start with is much better
than nothing.

--
luigi

* Re: ConTeXt features in pandoc 3
@ 2023-01-24  6:22     ` Saša Janiška via ntg-context
From: Saša Janiška via ntg-context @ 2023-01-24  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Saša Janiška

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:22:46 +0100
juh via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> At work at my cooperative Hostsharing eG we use the way Markdown -->
> Pandoc --> ConTeXt and we are quite happy with the results. Sadly I
> don't have time to document it in full up to now.

OK. thanks.

> For my own writing I was using Markdown --> Pandoc --> ConTeXt for
> quite a while and was happy with it, too. Recently I switched to
> Org-Mode as I started to use org-roam to organize my Zettelkasten and
> want to make use of the org-mode TODO workflow states to organize the
> writing process. I use org-pandoc to export from org-mode/emacs to
> context.

Interesting. I'm also into Zettelaksten, but consider to just use index cards. :-)

> I can also use ox-context but I have difficulties to
> customize it to my needs.

I see...

> The main problem is that both org-pandoc and ox-context are developed
> by very few people. My lisp knowledge is very limited so I have to
> stick with what is there.

Here I am with you. ;)

> Having a solid pipe from the first ideas to the print pdf would be
> nice. For now I would say that the exports from org-mode are the weak
> element in the chain. But if they fail I can export to Markdown and
> do the last steps via Markdown --> Pandoc.

Consdidering that either way, iow. both for Markdown or org-mode, I bet that
some work is to be done on the exported markup before producing PDF, I wonder
if you write/tweak ConTeXt markup in Emacs?

For that purpose I also played a bit with digestif...

> That said I have to confess that I do more sophisticated layout things
> like flyers in pure ConTeXt as it is much faster.

I can imagine, but I've a long way before mastering ConTeXt...still I'm
confident that for producing a book it is better option than fiddling with
LaTex - I did two books long ago using it along with LyX - but for preparing
the content, it could be easier to do it using markdown/org-mode.

Sincerely,
Saša

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the