* [NTG-context] Bold TeX Gyre Pagella Math results in Math error: parameter 'subshiftdown' with id 48 in style 2 is not set
@ 2023-11-30 19:43 Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-11-30 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have a strange issue when TeX Gyre Pagella Math is used together
with bold text. MWE:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]

%% comment/remove this line and it works
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont [mainface]
\definedescription [foo]

\starttext
  %% works, no issues here
  \math{x_y}

  %% fails if TeX Gyre Pagella Math is used
  \bold{\math{x_y}}
\stoptext

The error is:

tex error       > tex error on line 14 in file /tmp/tex-xDj/xDj.mkvi: Math error: parameter 'subshiftdown' with id 48 in style 2 is not set

<macro> \math_m_nop
    #1->\relax \ifmmode #1\else \normalstartimath \begingroup #1\endgroup \normalstopimath
    \fi
<line 3.14>
      \bold{\math{x_y}

What is the issue here?

Marco

LMTX 2023.09.04 19:15

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Bold TeX Gyre Pagella Math results in Math error: parameter 'subshiftdown' with id 48 in style 2 is not set
@ 2023-11-30 19:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-11-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Patzer schrieb am 30.11.2023 um 20:43:
> Hi!
>
> I have a strange issue when TeX Gyre Pagella Math is used together
> with bold text. MWE:
>
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]
>
> %% comment/remove this line and it works
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

Use the \definetypeface command to load the math font. Math fonts always
use special
settings or load additional settings which are missing when you use
\definefontfamily.

\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

Wolfgang

@ 2023-11-30 20:20   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-11-30 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:51:42 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> > %% comment/remove this line and it works
> > \definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> Use the \definetypeface command to load the math font.

That example was taken straight from

  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefontfamily

So that should better read like this: ?

  \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm]        [TeX Gyre Pagella]
  \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss]        [TeX Gyre Heros]
  \definetypeface   [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

  \setupbodyfont[mainface]

Should I correct the wiki then?

> Math fonts always use special settings or load additional settings
> which are missing when you use
> \definefontfamily.
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

That works, thanks. However, I discovered that:

%% fails
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

%% works
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [pagella]

So even with \definefontfamily it works, when “TeX Gyre Pagella
Math” is changed to “pagella”. That I do not understand.

Marco

@ 2023-11-30 21:23   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-11-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:51:42 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Use the \definetypeface command to load the math font. Math fonts
> always use special
> settings or load additional settings which are missing when you use
> \definefontfamily.
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

\definetypeface generates the same error message if the font size is
changed:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]

\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

%% 8pt works
\setupbodyfont [mainface, 8.5pt]

\starttext
  \bold{\math{x_y}}
\stoptext

Marco

@ 2023-12-01 14:09     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-12-01 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Patzer schrieb am 30.11.2023 um 22:23:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:51:42 +0100
> Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Use the \definetypeface command to load the math font. Math fonts
>> always use special
>> settings or load additional settings which are missing when you use
>> \definefontfamily.
>>
>> \definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]
> \definetypeface generates the same error message if the font size is
> changed:
>
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]
>
> %% 8pt works
> \setupbodyfont [mainface, 8.5pt]
>
> \starttext
>    \bold{\math{x_y}}
> \stoptext

You get the same error with Latin Modern as soon as you use a non
predefined font size in combination with bold math.

%%%% begin example
% \starttypescript [math] [default] [size]
%   \definebodyfont [8.5pt] [mm] [default]
% \stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[8.5pt]

\starttext

\im{x_y}

\mb\im{x_y}

\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang

@ 2023-12-01 14:30       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-12-01 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:09:32 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> You get the same error with Latin Modern as soon as you use a non
> predefined font size in combination with bold math.

True, thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware and frankly,
that's rather unexpected behaviour.

So to put it all together, this now works for me:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]

\starttypescript [math] [default] [size]
  \definebodyfont [8.5pt] [mm] [default]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

\setupbodyfont [mainface, 8.5pt]

\starttext
  \math{V_y}
  \bold{\math{V_y}}